E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > X5 Thieves choice

04-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

X5 Thieves choice

Mr Hoops beware !.

Just read on yahoo that the x5 is the thieves favourite car to steal followed by Range Rover.

I dont know where they got there stats from but it would have me worried .Do you have a tracker ?.

I think id get some tracker stickers fitted if only to try and deter the scum, seams they like to help them selves to the keys.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

it's mine.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Russians love X5's lol

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
I think id get some tracker stickers fitted if only to try and deter the scum, seams they like to help them selves to the keys.
If they know what they are doing then most can de-track the car within 20 minutes

But always worth displaying something
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Cover the entire car in tin foil, perfect way to stop the tracker.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Thanks for the heads up! Its the only thing that puts me off having a desirable car some little prick breaking into the house for the keys.

Would be interested to see the data they use to come to that conclusion.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
Mr Hoops beware !.

Just read on yahoo that the x5 is the thieves favourite car to steal followed by Range Rover.

I dont know where they got there stats from but it would have me worried .Do you have a tracker ?.

First of all yes i have Tracker fitted - wouldnt have bothered personally but my insurance company insisted on it.
Secondly, if they want it they can have it - i leave my car and bike keys laid out clearly on the kitchen table every night - if the fuckers break into my house i want them in and out and gone asap - i dont want them coming upstairs to ask me politely where i keep my keys to said vehicles.
      04-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
First of all yes i have Tracker fitted - wouldnt have bothered personally but my insurance company insisted on it.
Secondly, if they want it they can have it - i leave my car and bike keys laid out clearly on the kitchen table every night - if the fuckers break into my house i want them in and out and gone asap - i dont want them coming upstairs to ask me politely where i keep my keys to said vehicles.
My thoughts as well , I didnt realise they were so desirable to the scum thought they went for mitsubushi and subara type cars
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #9
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol in America we blow them the fuck away with a 12G.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
I'm just like you Steve, no point hiding the keys because they will only go looking for them if they want it that badly they can have it, its only a car my family is a million times more important and I can buy another car!

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Agree completely about the keys, my keys hang in the kitchen easily located if someone did come in.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #12
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
i dont want them coming upstairs to ask me politely where i keep my keys to said vehicles.
Surely they'd scarper sharpish when you got your concealed weapon out mate .

I also leave the keys downstairs (not that anyone wants what's on my driveway at present) to stop the buggers coming upstairs. They're welcome to whatever they can take; I'm insured.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #13
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Defenders are also a major target - probably worse than X5s.

Can't get much more "secure" than here though which is lucky.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #14
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Lol in America we blow them the fuck away with a 12G.
Which is exactly why i choose to live in the UK!!! In all seriousness if i had a gun, of any kind, i would have been banged up a very long time ago. That said i have my trusty bat and a crow bar within very each reach and i wouldnt hesitate for a single second to use them if any of these scum enter my property uninvited and i hear them. Fingers crossed it will never come to that. Fucking scum.
      04-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

They're welcome to whatever they can take; I'm insured.[/QUOTE]

Are you insured if they steal the car with its keys, I thought a lot of insurers were excluding that which of course would be very unfair if someone has broken in to your house. Maybe its just if you leave the keys in the car that they exclude insurance although do think I have read its excluded if keys used in any instance.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Ok, this thread is a little misleading (or rather the information on which it is based is misleading).

The people responsible for publishing this information are Tracker, and this is based on the top ten of cars covered by their system (hence they have the data).

So, it doesn't necesssarily ring true to being accurate as it only covers cars fitted with a Tracker system.

FYI, the list is as follows:

1) BMW X5
2) Range Rover (doesn't list a model, just the marque, so hardly scientific)
3) BMW M3 (again, doesn't list whether coupe, saloon or convertible, but is an E9x)
4) Audi RS4
5) Audi TT
6) Mercedes Benz SL
7) Mercedes Benz CLK
8) Porsche 911
9) Volkswagen Golf
=10) Mercedes Benz ML
=10) Subaru Impreza

Very unscientific, as your average Corsa/Sierra/Fiesta/easy to steal car worth £300 isn't going to be covered by a Tracker.

Still, lots of peole talking about it, it's on just about every car forum out there, so well done Tracker for having everyone talk about their system etc - nice advertising for simply publishing your own data.

On the subject of theft, I too don't take keys to bed or hide them;
The cars are insured and I value my life/the life of my family over any possession, insured or not.

Having had a gun stuffed in my face many years ago (again, for something fully insured) I promise you, you will be fully complicit in that situation - anyone who says they wouldn't obviously already had a gun drawn first or is a bullshitter.

That said, anyone coming into my house will be greated by Dylan, the 7 stone Doberman, who roams the house all night. Given the racket he's capable of making I can't see anyone trying the door handle, let alone breaking in.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Some of you people lol...why don't you leave the doors unlocked with a welcome sign?

It's funny how so many people say Americans only have guns because they live in fear. So offering up your keys so whoever steals from you doesn't kill you is......not living in fear?

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
Never really thought about leaving the keys downstairs to deter the theives coming upstairs? I always make a point to take my keys to bedroom at night...

Re the tracker, when I had X5 the only reason I had a valid subscription was for the insurance, otherwise if someones knicked your car, would you really want it back?

they could screw the hell out of it, but insurance wont pay for mechanical faults as a result of their joy riding? Your best off without the car, at least insurance will pay for the car
      04-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

i heard that even if its found and returned its classed at a cat d and then always a cat d so always worth much less
dont know if its true tho
      04-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Having had a gun stuffed in my face many years ago (again, for something fully insured) I promise you, you will be fully complicit in that situation - anyone who says they wouldn't obviously already had a gun drawn first or is a bullshitter
Not entirely sure who this comment is aimed at?? Cant remember reading anywhere in this thread where anyone said they wouldnt be complicit with a gun in their face????

Again, the reason i leave ALL my keys downstairs in clear view for anyone who has broken in is to avoid having a gun in my face asking me politely for the keys. And for the record, i personally would be fully compliant in said situation.
      04-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #21
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Some of you people lol...why don't you leave the doors unlocked with a welcome sign?

It's funny how so many people say Americans only have guns because they live in fear. So offering up your keys so whoever steals from you doesn't kill you is......not living in fear?
Again, yet another reason why i am so pleased i dont live in Yanksville!!!!
      04-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #22
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Whilst I agree with the "leave the keys downstairs to avoid trouble" position I don't think you are doing yourself any favours.

Most breakins are from druggies who are off there face or shaking real bad because they need to be off there face before they puke. If they see your car keys they have very easy pickings and will EASYLY sell the car to some other professional crook for more than the small items they actually came for. I'd rather loose a company laptop and a dvd player than my pride and joy. Don't fancy all the hassle with car insurance companies (guess that is why they make it such a PITA).

Yes, if a professional car theif is after your motor as its "to order" this could lead to conflict but maybe leaving the car keys upstairs but in an exposed position will help counter this threat of conflict.
Appreciate 0