E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 JB+ Initial Impressions

04-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

N55 JB+ Initial Impressions

So, I've been on stage 1 for a long while now (I posted a review a while ago). it has served me well and I enjoy it for everyday use, without any issues, even though I have it on a tad more of an agressive setting over default. It gives an ample amount of power and the installation and removal is simple and straightforward. I've worked with terry throughout the usage on optimizing settings, and what not, for my car and it has been pretty much a great process overall. Nothing to complain about.

I recently updated to a newer firmware that included a JB+ simulation map (Map 6). Terry wanted me to try it and play a bit with the "iatdecay" setting (same as the knob on the JB+) to find a sweetspot for my car. I left it in default initially, as I'm on 91 and, for the most part, stock otherwise.

First thing first, no lagfix....BUT...majorly improved throttle response. Who would've thought that simplifying and leaving so much control back to stock would give this effect. I thought it was in my head so I went back to map 0 to drive it completely stock...soft and laggy again. Now back to Stage 1...lagfix and punchy (throttle better)...and then back to JB+ mode...throttle response ruleeees! I don't miss the lagfix after input at all. The response transition makes up for it. Especially after I raised the setting to 60 or so the torque improved even more! I beat on it for 3 straight days...no codes and no weirdness in power delivery at all. Loving it!

The best thing, though, by far is that the DCT shifts so much better as all the sensor trickery is minimized and throttle mashing does not have the major hesitation or DCT delay anymore...that to me is the kicker. It's basically stock drivability with great throttle response and very linear, smooth, and "predictable" power delivery. My N54 never responded this naturally to the SSTT or JB+...it was always a little coarse and lumpy. Sometimes less is more it seems.

Finally, I think this price-point and the ease of installation, which is literally 10-15 seconds (no joke), will make this a popular, cost-effective, and very worthy addition to the N55 mod stable. And, if you want to go to a stage 2 or a more customizable tune...the JB4 pro board version is in the works and promises some nifty tricks I believe. Anyhow, I'll continue beating on the car and report any findings, but as of now it is driving like a champ. cheers.
      04-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I think all stage 1 users who are going to try this (map 6) will be very pleasantly surprised.