E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Bi-xenon headlight replacement need re-programming?

04-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
ez_2get
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90 - 2015 X3 F25

Question Bi-xenon headlight replacement need re-programming?

i've got an e90 2007 328i w/ Bi-xenon. i had my solenoid changed at a local bmw dealer (under warranty) and had to leave my car overnight. when i got my car back the next day, my right headlight lens had a spiderweb-like crack. dealer told me today they're gonna replace it, under warranty.

the after-sales guy at dealership told me that once the assembly is in and ready for installation, they would re-program my headlights. i thought that that was not necessary as it would just be a direct swap, and that my orig right headlight is working fine. guy said the new headlight needs programming to ensure the adaptive HID will work.

is it true that if you're replacing one of your HID headlight assembly (due to cracked lens), you need to re-program the new headlight to get the adaptive HID working? tnx for any input.

Last edited by ez_2get; 01-18-2013 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_2get View Post
i've got an e90 2007 328i w/ Bi-xenon. i had my solenoid changed at a local bmw dealer (under warranty) and had to leave my car overnight. when i got my car back the next day, my right headlight lens had a spiderweb-like crack. dealer told me today they're gonna replace it, under warranty.

the after-sales guy at dealership told me that once the assembly is in and ready for installation, they would re-program my headlights. i thought that that was not necessary as it would just be a direct swap, and that my orig right headlight is working fine. guy said the new headlight needs programming to ensure the adaptive HID will work. i've got a some coding done in my car and guy said the DRL delete will be erased once they re-program my headlight.

is it true that if you're replacing one of your HID headlight assembly (due to cracked lens), you need to re-program the new headlight to get the adaptive HID working? will that erase my DRL delete coding? will the rest of my coding (digital speedometer, folding side mirrors, open-close sunroof) be erased too? do i need to temporarily remove my DAEOS harness as it might have an effect on the re-programming and screw things up? tnx for any input.
Since DRLs are required in Canada, the dealer cannot let the car leave their shop without DRLs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

what's the difference between your DRL delete and the DAEOS?

When using the DAEOS, does the DRL option need to be set to "on" to work?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_2get View Post
ceb probably is correct. though i've got DRL deleted and my angel eyes (MTEC V2) acts as my DRL via DAEOS harness, it is not 'as-per-specification" for my 2007 328i e90 model, hence my angel eyes DRL is considered "illegal." BMW most likely will get the original DRL running again on the H7 once they install the new headlight. they want their ass covered in case any dispute occurs relating to my modified DRL.

so i guess my option is to disconnect the connectors of my DAEOS before i take my car to dealership, to get the headlight wiring back to stock . BMW will get the DRL back up and running on H7 once the new headlight assembly is installed. i will then need my car re-coded for DRL delete and re-connect my DAEOS. paying extra buck for re-coding DRL delete is way cheaper than if my cracked headlight wasn't replaced (e.g. out of warranty). can't win them all as they say.
While perhaps not completely in compliance, you've certainly met the spirit of the law.

IIRC, the Canadian law does not require a certain lighting unit to function as the DRL; it just defines the brightness of the DRL as being less than a headlamp. You might want to check the current Canadian law to be certain.

But yes, you'll probably need to get recoded if you want your corona rings on again.
Appreciate 0