E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel Injector Flush

03-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
sathees siva
$*~TIVU EMPIRE~*$
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Fuel Injector Flush

Fuel Injector Flush Special: $119.95

Link for Fuel Injector Flush Special:

http://www.bmwtoronto.ca/special-off...injector-flush

Is this worth doing for my 335i ?

Do you guys recommend that I just goto local shop and ask them for a fuel injector flush ?

I had my Injectors replaced last year because of starting issues. Just wondering if this helps prevent issues in the future. Any info would be helpful or any other suggestions ?

Thanks.
      03-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

You can not clean or flush DI injectors.
      03-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Don't waste your money. Run a bottle of Techron through your tank every so often. In addition to adding Techron to a tank every couple of months, once or twice a year I dose my truck's tank with an entire bottle of Yamaha Ring Free just before changing my oil. One bottle is designed to treat a much larger tank then found in cars/trucks and therefore is more concentrated then Techron. The product's target audiance is the marine industry it's designed to clean the fuel delivery system to include injectors in 4 stoke engines and around the ring lands and combustion chamber in 2 strokes, but in my experience I find it works just as well in automobiles.

Last edited by cssnms; 03-30-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Why would you need to EVER run some special cleaner through your fuel system??? All the gas brands use a plethora of detergents in their fuel that do all that cleaning you're wondering about already.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
Why would you need to EVER run some special cleaner through your fuel system??? All the gas brands use a plethora of detergents in their fuel that do all that cleaning you're wondering about already.
A "plethora" is an exageration. For the most part oil/gas companies only put the min required by the EPA with exception of Chevron which adds more than the min required. While there is some benefit to having these detergents and ethanol in gas they often do not do the job well enough on their own. I have seen injectors clogged/gummed up in several modern 4 stroke boat engines including my own. Prior to using any additive prodects I used nothing but brand name gas in my last boat engine until the day I had to pull/replace two injectors due to the fact they had build-up (likey due to the hardening of residual waxy oilfins) which ended up completely blocking the fuel delivery in 2injectors. Ever since I have been using Ring Free and Techron, and not a problem since. Coincidence, maybe, but it's enough to make me a believer.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

k, I realize there are going to be a lot of similarities between marine and auto engines, but come one man...any problems like this in cars that you'd seen recently? If not...maybe it's those differences in the marine/auto engines that is causing the issue and requiring the extra effort on your part.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
k, I realize there are going to be a lot of similarities between marine and auto engines, but come one man...any problems like this in cars that you'd seen recently? If not...maybe it's those differences in the marine/auto engines that is causing the issue and requiring the extra effort on your part.
I would venture to guess the same things happen inside my Yamaha 4 stroke that happen inside my truck's engine albeit at different temperatures, but I do suspect that has no bearing on the results in this case. I only reference the marine engines simiply because my experiences in this capacity lends itself to support my belief that there is a benefit to using these products as a preventative measure in all combustion engines. If a little detergent added by the gas companies is beneficial, then one would think adding premium detergents in a more concentrated form would yield better results.

As for my experiences with cars in this capacity it is strickly limited to realizing improved mpg's after my first initial heavy dose of Ring Free at 50k mi in my truck. MPG's improved on avg 2 mpg in mostly city driving and that was manually calculated before and after over 3 tanks of gas traveling essentially the same route(s) over a 3 week period. Clearly this experient wasn't exactly scientific and many things can impact mpgs so I tried to keep as many variables the same including the brand of gas purchased. Now I haven't pulled my injectors in my truck or car to measure the results, but that said, I have enough confidence in the physical results I witnessed with outboard motors coupled with the improved mpg's in my truck to convince myself there is a benefit.

Not everyone believes there is a benefit to using these products as a preventative measure and that's okay, just as it is okay that many believe in the benefits.
Appreciate 0