E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help with Engine Diagnostics -

03-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
bmwstylexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Help with Engine Diagnostics -

I was out running some errands this afternoon and in the midst of a shift my check engine light came on and the shifter and steering wheel began to shake. I was about 2 miles away from home and turned around and drove back. Everytime I would give it gas the wheel and shifter would shake and the car didn't want to accelerate.

I get back to the neighborhood, the engine light goes off and the car runs normal again. Any thoughts?

just an fyi - I'm out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Brooklyn e70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 msport

i had simliar problem about couple days ago. Call dealer if recalls were ever done and they said no so i went in for recall and they change hpfp and check my injector and update my software.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstylexx View Post
I was out running some errands this afternoon and in the midst of a shift my check engine light came on and the shifter and steering wheel began to shake. I was about 2 miles away from home and turned around and drove back. Everytime I would give it gas the wheel and shifter would shake and the car didn't want to accelerate.

I get back to the neighborhood, the engine light goes off and the car runs normal again. Any thoughts?

just an fyi - I'm out of warranty.
Bad misfires that throw a SES will cause symptoms like this. One time at the track, I shifted really hard and it caused symptoms like this, but went away and has never come back after a restart. Anytime your car is acting weird, first thing to do, is turn the car off and restart. This usually will fix the problem. You should read the codes on your car and see if you have any.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
bmwstylexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Bad misfires that throw a SES will cause symptoms like this. One time at the track, I shifted really hard and it caused symptoms like this, but went away and has never come back after a restart. Anytime your car is acting weird, first thing to do, is turn the car off and restart. This usually will fix the problem. You should read the codes on your car and see if you have any.
Thanks for the heads up, i was shifting hard when it happened so maybe this is all it was. I have a diagnostic cord but don't have the software on the computer to scan it. Can you read the codes with a standard OBII scanner like you can get at Autozone?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstylexx View Post
Thanks for the heads up, i was shifting hard when it happened so maybe this is all it was. I have a diagnostic cord but don't have the software on the computer to scan it. Can you read the codes with a standard OBII scanner like you can get at Autozone?
I don't think that will work for the codes. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Might be a good idea to invest in a Bavarian Technic tool to read the codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

If the SES (service engine soon) light came out, it is most likely a misfire. If the half-engine image came on the graphical display, most likely a fuel pump.

Judging by the fact you said the light went away, I am willing to bet a misfire, especially if you have never changed your plugs. The recommended BMW service interval is 45k.
      03-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

My car throw a CC-ID 29 code today! Half engine light came on the the car felt like it was a NA car. No power at all.
My guess would be I'm due for a new hpfp.
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0