E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > synchros improved?

03-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Question synchros improved?

Members have complained about lurching when engaging first gear. The most likely scenario for me is when I am rolling at low speed, shift into 1st, and then let out the clutch less than perfectly.

I never experienced this is my last car (300zx) because I couldn't shift into first unless I was nearly at a dead stop. And in this case, 1st gear is even higher than the BMW 1st gear. Of course, my Z is/was a decade old too.

Can someone comment why the BMW allows shifting into 1st while rolling, while my last car did not?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
Members have complained about lurching when engaging first gear. The most likely scenario for me is when I am rolling at low speed, shift into 1st, and then let out the clutch less than perfectly.

I never experienced this is my last car (300zx) because I couldn't shift into first unless I was nearly at a dead stop. And in this case, 1st gear is even higher than the BMW 1st gear. Of course, my Z is/was a decade old too.

Can someone comment why the BMW allows shifting into 1st while rolling, while my last car did not?
Quote:

ok wait i reread what you wrote, im not sure what you ar asking because you ask two diffrent things but it seems like you think your asking the same thing

synchros are what allow you to push the stick into gear, there is nothing that makes the engine speed match the gearbox speed

your old car probably didnt have any synchros in first gear, a lot of cheaper cars dont either, all this meens though is that instead of having to double clutch like the old days you can just push the stick into gear and the synchros will force the gearbox speed to match wheel speed

Quote:
The most likely scenario for me is when I am rolling at low speed, shift into 1st, and then let out the clutch less than perfectly.
if your asking why after putting the car into first gear and letting up the clutch the car lurches, thats because you need to learn how to properly drive a manual

and do hijack, does anyone else think more synchros are needed between 1st and second, you really have to force it if your flogging the car
      03-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
I think more/better synchros are needed, because I can shift faster than the transmission can handle. I love the clutch action on this car over my previous, an 04 TL, but I could shift faster in my TL without getting a griiinnnd.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak View Post
I think more/better synchros are needed, because I can shift faster than the transmission can handle. I love the clutch action on this car over my previous, an 04 TL, but I could shift faster in my TL without getting a griiinnnd.
get the OEM short shift knob. Throw feels MUCH sharper.
      03-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
Now that you mention that, Chesmu, I did have a real short shift kit for my TL installed when I had the suspension put into the car. I guess it's an option to pursue for my car, too. I might order a knob this coming weekend. I'll just have to search the forums for the pn, I know I've seen it on here.
Appreciate 0