New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

ESS vs. JB4 - Which way should I go?

I am looking for opinions, experiences, tips, etc here. A full review of both products on one thread would be great. I am looking to purchase one of these tuning products soon, but without more information and real world experience I am a bit stumped as to which product would be best.

My major concerns / interests are:

1: Dealer detectable? Do I have to remove the JB4 before a dealer service? Do I have to revert to the stock code if using the ESS?

2: Ease of use? The ESS system seems more straightforward and easy to use, but also seems to offer less options than JB4. Do I need all the functionality of JB4?

I would really like to hear existing customers of both ESS and JB4 contribute their experiences here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

It was a 'no-brainer' for me.

I went with ESS because it offers as much power as the JB4 and uses the exisiting ECU BMW programmed the car with...working hand to hand. Remember the JB4 isnt as advanced as the Procede V5 - something to do with controlling the timing...see e90Post.

The JB4 etc means you have to open your ECU and disconnect wires etc. This can result in damage to your ECU/pins etc. In a recent thread on e90post it was asked what mistakes or damages have you made to your car...one of the most common responses was a broken pin, connector, bolt etc from installed a piggyback like the JB3/4 or Procede. The power connector on the new JB4 is a hard one for some.

You should remove it before service. If the service dept see scratched bolts etc on the ECU cover then they could be suspicious and open it to take a quick look.

The ESS should be unistalled before service, but this is of course quicker and easier than the JB4. The JB4 has more features but I wouldnt use all of them ...the bouncing guages might impress teenages but not me at 30yo. I also have no need for a boost guage. My car is fast vs a Ferrari and thats the end of that.

Also ESS test their tune in all sorts of climates before releasing it - eg Arizona + Scandinavia. I have found it to be very reliable and very powerful. They get your personal power map back to you the same day via email.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
parnassus
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i DCT

It wasn't a difficult choice for me either. The ESS DirectShift unit and flash are nicely engineered solutions that have been designed specifically for our car. Things like the torque limits of the DCT gearbox have been taken into account, and this was important to me because I don't want to run into issues with the drivetrain because I've abused it. Eeking out a few tenths of a second extra mean little once things start going wrong.

As for the experience itself, the car is a verifiable beast. I used to switch out of normal mode as soon as I started the car due to the throttle lag and lack or responsiveness. However, it's much closer to what sport mode was like now, and Sport+ mode is now unbelievable.

The actual installation process is seamless and you can't stuff up your car. I think there's a 30 day trial for it, why don't you give it a shot?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
dhplachy
Iraq
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

It has been a year since these posts (and opinions) regarding which product to go with.

Any new information from those that have done the ECU mod?

I've ordered a 35is and take delivery in June and am trying to decide myself which way to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

About a year ago, with input from this forum, I went with the ESS tune solution. I am 100% happy with my decision. The product has worked flawlessly and impressively and the service they offer is very good. I would not hesitate to recommend ESS. Oh, and it turned my Z4 into a rocket!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I searched for sometime ESS vs the others, and finally went for the ESS... Easy to flash, straight forward application and the power is awesome...
ESS after service is impacable, the guys are very dedicated and would assist you in all means.
I was scheduled for a routine service, flashed the ECU back to OEM, the dealer did not question me.. And when I got back the car, went again to flash the ECU (with ESS) the flash stalled and went into recovery mode. I emailed ESS guys and within hours got back an instruction and files on how to reset the DF tool.. It turned out that the dealer upgraded the OEM ECU version... Emailed ESS the updated version and within hours got the new flash...
Awesome experience, would not recommend anything else but ESS...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
I searched for sometime ESS vs the others, and finally went for the ESS... Easy to flash, straight forward application and the power is awesome...
ESS after service is impacable, the guys are very dedicated and would assist you in all means.
I was scheduled for a routine service, flashed the ECU back to OEM, the dealer did not question me.. And when I got back the car, went again to flash the ECU (with ESS) the flash stalled and went into recovery mode. I emailed ESS guys and within hours got back an instruction and files on how to reset the DF tool.. It turned out that the dealer upgraded the OEM ECU version... Emailed ESS the updated version and within hours got the new flash...
Awesome experience, would not recommend anything else but ESS...
Exactly same experience here. Told dealer not to update ECU - they did it anyway. ESS Service is excellent - even on weekends.

Cannot recommend ESS more.

2024 BMW M2
2022 BMW i4 M50
2011 BMW Z4 sdrive 35i | ESS Stage 2
Appreciate 0