E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > lamin-x tint headlights ticket

03-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

lamin-x tint headlights ticket

there are two different tint levels for the headlights and fogs. i was thinking about getting the lighter of the two. i have my tails smoked, i live in ny, i've never had a problem with them. i was curious if i get the headlights tinted, if i will be more likely to get a ticket then for having the rears. because if thats the case then i shouldn't have a problem. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Of course - and here is why.

FMVSS 108 specifies the appropriate light output for all lights.

Since some manufacturers use slightly different colored rear lenses (and compensate by using different bulbs) most "non-extreme" taillights (blacklines for example) aren't immediately obvious.

The same regulation also prohibits any headlamp covering (Lamin-x, 3M whatever.) Accordingly, any tint on headlamps is immediately obvious.

Why would you want to reduce the light output of your headlamps?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

what your saying is blacklines arent obvious, but i have lamin-x on my tail lights. i've been pulled over before with them, not for that but the cop was in his car right behind mine and he didnt say anything about it. i didnt know if tinting the front is going to get me in the same trouble as the rears, because if thats the case then i havent had any problems. and as i said before, they have two tint levels for the headlights. the ones i want only block 5% of the light so 95% still gets through, which is hardly noticeable. the think i dont get is, i have a mercedes as well and it doesnt have xenon lights like my bmw, and the light output is horrible. and thats legal. but blocking 5% of the light on the xenons which will still have much better output is illegal. that is stupid. i just want to know if a light tint on the headlights is more likely to get me into trouble then tinted rears, or tinted windows. because i've never had a problem with either. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
what your saying is blacklines arent obvious, but i have lamin-x on my tail lights. i've been pulled over before with them, not for that but the cop was in his car right behind mine and he didnt say anything about it. i didnt know if tinting the front is going to get me in the same trouble as the rears, because if thats the case then i havent had any problems. and as i said before, they have two tint levels for the headlights. the ones i want only block 5% of the light so 95% still gets through, which is hardly noticeable. the think i dont get is, i have a mercedes as well and it doesnt have xenon lights like my bmw, and the light output is horrible. and thats legal. but blocking 5% of the light on the xenons which will still have much better output is illegal. that is stupid. i just want to know if a light tint on the headlights is more likely to get me into trouble then tinted rears, or tinted windows. because i've never had a problem with either. thanks
Yes. Tint on your headlights will get you pulled over more. Then the cop might just take a look at your taillights too.

A while back I was doing training for DC Metro cops. During lunch I asked the group what makes them focus on a particular car. The answers were a bit surprising:

Tint
Wheels that are worth more than the car
Lighting mods (blue headlamps, tinted lights)
Highbeams on
Weaving in and out of traffic
Cars that don't "belong" in an area (beat up car in an expensive area, an expensive car in a low income area)
Drivers or passengers that don't "belong" in the car
Speeding

While none of the above are a guarantee of getting pulled over, they will get you noticed and equipment violations are the easiest reason for a stop as you can't argue in court that the violation didn't exist - while you can argue that "I wasn't speeding."
Appreciate 0