E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car Randomly Starts Stuttering and Shaking (N54)

03-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Car Randomly Starts Stuttering and Shaking (N54)

First off I will throw it out there that my car has a tune, but I have ran such tune with no real problems for more or less than 15k miles. I have had the stock spark plugs replaced at around 14k for BMW Performance Power Kit and first signs of fuel pump going out at around 20-22k miles (can't remember to be more specific).

Car is around 38k miles and randomly after sitting parked (no less than 5 minutes after a brief 5 miles) car starts stuttering. The car started somewhat roughly and by the time we left and reached our first stop sign the car started idling very roughly (almost like a really bad Subaru boxer engine). Proceed to next light where I attempt to turn car off and back on, but same problem now very pronounced. Try to set car on Map 0, but again nothing. Service Engine Soon light is on, but there are images of a half-engine light or anything of that nature. Check feature on OBC states car is OK and after using a Bav Scan Tool the only noticeable thing that popped up was Cylinder 6 misfire which has happened before, but has always been resolved by restarting the car. No codes were thrown for the fuel pump via Bav Scan Tool.

My first order of business tomorrow is to remove the Procede and see if this fixes anything. If that doesn't work what should I replace first and at which step should I seek assistance at the dealership. I don't expect the dealership to fix any problems caused by the tune, but I don't think the Procede is necessarily at fault. I know most people here change plugs fairly often and maybe that is what I need to do first, but how often and do you use OEM plugs or something else?

As far as I know most people replace plugs, coils, and injectors in that order. Is it because the dealer has to reprogram the coils? Is it possible to do the same with the Bav Scan tool or am I "SOL"? I will appreciate any knowledgeable feedback received. I'm not very knowledgeable with the workings of this engine or its shortcomings, just what I read on here, but I know there are many smart, experienced individuals here who have come across something similar.

Last edited by Novator; 03-29-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

your coilpack on six went out easy replace i had the same problem when i first installed my tune when you drive the car does it feel like its running on five cylinders. since you have new injectors and plugs i think it might be the coilpack
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
JasonZX12R
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novator View Post
First off I will throw it out there that my car has a tune (Procede), but I have ran such tune with no real problems for more or less than 15k miles. I have had the stock spark plugs replaced at around 14k for BMW Performance Power Kit and first signs of fuel pump going out at around 20-22k miles (can't remember to be more specific).

Car is around 38k miles and randomly after sitting parked (no less than 5 minutes after a brief 5 miles) car starts stuttering. The car started somewhat roughly and by the time we left and reached our first stop sign the car started idling very roughly (almost like a really bad Subaru boxer engine). Proceed to next light where I attempt to turn car off and back on, but same problem now very pronounced. Try to set car on Map 0, but again nothing. Service Engine Soon light is on, but there are images of a half-engine light or anything of that nature. Check feature on OBC states car is OK and after using a Bav Scan Tool the only noticeable thing that popped up was Cylinder 6 misfire which has happened before, but has always been resolved by restarting the car. No codes were thrown for the fuel pump via Bav Scan Tool.

My first order of business tomorrow is to remove the Procede and see if this fixes anything. If that doesn't work what should I replace first and at which step should I seek assistance at the dealership. I don't expect the dealership to fix any problems caused by the tune, but I don't think the Procede is necessarily at fault. I know most people here change plugs fairly often and maybe that is what I need to do first, but how often and do you use OEM plugs or something else?

As far as I know most people replace plugs, coils, and injectors in that order. Is it because the dealer has to reprogram the coils? Is it possible to do the same with the Bav Scan tool or am I "SOL"? I will appreciate any knowledgeable feedback received. I'm not very knowledgeable with the workings of this engine or its shortcomings, just what I read on here, but I know there are many smart, experienced individuals here who have come across something similar.
I had the same thing right before my fuel pump died. It would shake like crazy at idle. Restarting would usually fix it. That worked for a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
I've had this before too. Coils, injectors and plugs are generally to blame (I've had plugs, 3 coils and 6 injectors). Once the dealer tried to tell me it was a sticking VANOS solenoid, which they replaced and it didn't fix it.

Good luck

Btw I currently have misfires on cyls 1 and 3 and the SES light stays lit, even when the engine isnt misfiring. Dealer appt this wednesday. Love me some N54.
      03-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
How much do plugs/coils run for? I think I could do the work myself, but do I need any special tools like a socket to remove, reinstall the spark plugs? I personally would like to do most of the work myself before I have to go to the dealer. Also say the dealer does find my tune, can they still deny the work, even if it is removed? I have an exteneded warranty on the car. Are things like pump and injectors still covered regardless of warranty?
      03-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
How much do plugs/coils run for? I think I could do the work myself, but do I need any special tools like a socket to remove, reinstall the spark plugs? I personally would like to do most of the work myself before I have to go to the dealer. Also say the dealer does find my tune, can they still deny the work, even if it is removed? I have an exteneded warranty on the car. Are things like pump and injectors still covered regardless of warranty?
Take out the tune, scan with a BT and make sure the only codes you have in there are the misfire codes - if there are others I'd clear everything and wait till the the misfire comes back before going to the dealer.

All this crap was changed for me under warranty...easiest just to take it in and let them deal with it.
      03-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Thanks man
      03-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Thanks man
No problem. Hope the dealer service goes smoothly.
      03-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Well with everything out it still does the same, but I am still very surprised after the way the car is behaving I just get an SES light, but no half engine light like I would get if I had fuel pump problems. When I use the check feature on the OBC it just says everything is ok though it isn't. Hopefully a trip to the dealer will resolve everything. Quick question though to anyone that has had this happened, if it is plugs or coils does the dealer charge you for the parts/labor or is it still under warranty? If I remember right these plugs normally should last 45,000 miles but this set didn't even reach 25,000 miles. I asked last time if my injectors fell under the recall, but my service rep said I was fine, though I feel that it was BS as a friend of mine has a much newer car and he had at least one replaced and he has half the miles I have. Has anyone ever bought the replacement parts (if you had to pay out of pocket) from another dealer before labor was performed? My dealer charges almost twice what other dealers would charge and I really like the prices offered by Tischer and United BMW. Their shipping options and prices are just as attractive.
      03-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

HPFP or Injectors. My car did the same as what you described and it was the injectors. Replaced all 6.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
The fuel injector from cylinder #6 was stuck open which makes sense since the cabin smelled of gasoline. Fuel injectors for #4 and #5 were also replaced under warranty. The only thing that I paid for was for the fuel injector cleaning service which gave me piece of mind. On the bright side of things the dealer installed my carbon fiber engine cover from Evolution Racewerks for no charge or fuss since they had to pop off the original for the service anyway.

The only thing that sucks is I wish the BT tool could be more specific or maybe it is the engine that should be more specific in throwing codes. Like most pointed out it could have been plugs, coils, or injectors or a mix of the three could have sparked the codes to be thrown. Thanks for all who tried to diagnose my problem though.
      03-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Brooklyn e70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 msport

glad your problems are resolved . waiting on my car from dealer for recalls
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
yeah, glad to hear it's fixed. mine's at the dealer right now to have the misfires addressed...hope it's just a coil or something easy!

mystery solved. 2 injectors replaced.

Last edited by bkrM3; 03-30-2011 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep
Drives: your mom wild!

sounds like what im going thru...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

glad its fixed. this car is a lottery when it comes to fueling haha
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0