E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > My pre-LCI xenon AHL (2006) to LCI xenon AHL experience

03-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

My pre-LCI xenon AHL (2006) to LCI xenon AHL experience

I'll update this with my experience with going from Pre-LCI AHL Xenons (2006 330i) to 2009 LCI AHL Xenons. I had a shop do the install so I can't comment on the actual procedures.

Here's what I can comment on after all was said and done:

1. Had to code the LED turn signal bulbs off. They stayed lit if the low beams were on. Now they just turn on when i'm actually signalling a turn.

2. Three amber side LEDs don't turn on at all. Was told my car doesn't have the wiring to support it. For most, this is a preferable amber delete but I would like them just so i know i'll have extra side light blinking when i'm making a turn signal.

3. Momentary High beams don't work. Pulling back lights up the inner center lights up like on the pre-lci, but with lci headlights their purpose are as "cornering lights".

4. ALthough I was coded (not sure what was done specifically), I get an error code when I start the car. It looks like it's for the LED turn signals, but they're dismissed with making a left and then a right turn signal. I've never ran into a code before so it sucks even though I was coded, i still have to dismiss it.

5. I had to get LUX H8 V3 angel eyes because on the pre-lci it only supports up to 5-8W and the regular halogen H8 bulb on the LCI angel eyes is around 35 or 55W ( i don't remember). When the shop tried with the stock angel eyes, it didn't light up at all.

6. AHL only works when making a right turn. Was told this is normal becaue turning to the left would blind other drivers. I could've sworn my pre-LCIs Xenons turned left when I turned.

I don't know if any of those issues can be resolved with switching to a newer footwell module and/or more coding but at this point i'm kind of iffy on keeping them on and may just go back to stock xenons and get an mtech bumper just to get a mod done out of all this

Last edited by tracerit; 03-24-2011 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

so the high beams work now. i was showing my friend how it doesn't work and when i pushed the stalk forward, it switches the shutter on the projector lights.

so i just have two concerns:

1. do AHL lamps not turn left? can someone else with AHL check this for me. it's bugging me..

2. are footwell modules an easy swap? i know i'll need to get one that supports the features i have in my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Onurkneez4nghi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2006 330i  [8.60]
I know it only turns left when the car is moving... It's because of blinding people at stops or something ... Try driving ur car and see if it turns
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Brooklyn e70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
so the high beams work now. i was showing my friend how it doesn't work and when i pushed the stalk forward, it switches the shutter on the projector lights.

so i just have two concerns:

1. do AHL lamps not turn left? can someone else with AHL check this for me. it's bugging me..

2. are footwell modules an easy swap? i know i'll need to get one that supports the features i have in my car.
My also only turn right and not left. Dont know why or if it normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

what year is your E90?

do your three amber side LEDs work?

how about your high beam flash (when you pull back)?

after trying out the suggestion, mine do turn left but only when i'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Driift.Kiing
DRiiFT.KiiNG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i

i have a 2006 330i with /LCI headlights and my halos don't come on. i haven't made any changes to it, just swapped them. do i need to have it reprogrammed and where can i do that?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

interesting, you'll have to email me (myforumusername)@gmail.com so we can discuss this.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
JasonBMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 AW

ok, im about to this on my car and have done extensive research. i dont know if you folks did yours but thus far i found this link on you tube and the conversion jay did appears his ahl does move left and right. i had spoken to him regarding doing mine and has made some interesting comments. if your car is before 08, you will encounter this problem and hsi experience many will end up cross eyed. therefore, he's clueless why you guys lifhts dont turn left but why would pre lci turn left and night lci? he also noted you must use LCI AHL Modules and bllast and cannot use pre lci.. how many are you using all LCI modules. he also noted to eliminate the possibilities of experienceing cross eye, he suggested older cars to un plug your AHL and just let them function Non AHL. lastly corner delete can be coded and should function like an LCI whee 3 led lights remain on and dont need to run a wire side marker if coded.

therefore, he suggested i buy all LCI parts and if soeone told you can use pre lci modules or cannot make the angel eye works blamming wattage, he advise grab your car and run. video shoes ahl moving both left and right therefore,his ahl seems working on left and righ. im not clear if turning left is disable bc it blinds people but i can see the shutter on driver side not working buc that will cause blindness. this is all unfamiliar but i would if this is the case your pre lci would be teh same correct?

therefore, I would highly recommend contacting him since he know sthe lights inside out.. I don't recommend going to a auto body shop who installs bumpers for electrical modifcation thats for sure. It would also be itnerested on what coding this person did bc the only code he needs to do is corner delete but if it doesn't work he might of deleted it. Also, dont walk away from shop if things dong work or i dont recommend it.. Also, i was advise by my SA at dealership, ALWAY ALWAYs ask for reciept if you guys do any electrical upgrade or what ever. If you pay cash, your letting them cheat the system and you have nothing to show proof he worked on your car. it seems to be a common trend with small business. have them fix it bro and ask for a receipt. bad business knowing they are clueless if they refuse to give you one.

Man I feel badd for you guys and I'm hoping this can be resolved soon.. I hope you didnt buy LUX 8 bc i saw difference compared to Mtech halogen and honestly cant see much of a difference. maybe th newer version is better but too much dough for led bulb that you can buy for under 100 on ebay

Last edited by JasonBMW; 04-01-2011 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Chard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

OP, fyi, I have an 08 335i e90 with pre-LCI AHLs and they do turn left only while in motion. Seems like you got this figured out anyway.
Appreciate 0