E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Delivery of my E90 today. Weird experience!

03-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW M4

Delivery of my E90 today. Weird experience!

Got to the dealer 30 minutes early, like you do!

Dealer seemed flustered. This set the alarm bells off straight away. I'm very good at recognising when someones trying to hide something. Anyway, I set the "Bull Terrier"(My Wife) on the E90, to do her inspection. She can spot a scratch a mile away. She came up with 4 areas with scratches, the worse scratches on the pasenger side shadowlines, and pointed out that the car looked dirty. The dealer looked at them carefully and said you can hardly notice them. I was livid and in no mood to take any bullshit answer like that. I said "if you squint your eyes you really don't notice them!!!". To my surprise he went for a cloth and tried to polish the scratches out. I've seen this done before, no sweat, but not by a snotty salesman. He then turned around and said there you go! At this point I sarcastically said it will do for now until you get the replacement shadowline part in, or if you'd prefer get someone who nows how to take out these scratches properly. So he did. The valeting guy came around and we left him to it and got on with the paperwork.

Her wanted me to sign for the car but I declined, not until I see the work finished. Anyway I went over to the valeting guy and he quitely whispered that this car hasn't been valeted properly. Theres no way these scratches would have been left, and the car should look newly polished, someone has parked it out in the rain. I was pissed off at this but appreciated the valeters honesty and he did manage to get the marks out perfectly, so I left it at that.

We continued with the paperwork and before signing I asked him to go over the workings of the car and check all the optional extras were there and working. They were. He took another look at the previously scratched areas and said looks perfect. I replied, I think you should take this as a lesson and think yourself really lucky that I am not taking this matter further, if you had it valeted properly before we got here there would have been no need for all of this. I expect my car to be scratchless, at least on the first day. He didn't say anything back and gave me a sorry smile, which I excepted as victory.

What did this idiot think, after paying nearly £40K I would take anything less than perfect!!!

Last edited by snawaz; 03-10-2007 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I applaud you my good sir. ^_^
I would have done the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Has been raining today. Pics tomorrow after fitting blacklines, and if weather holds.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Great story, I'm glad everything turned out to work for you at the end. Enjoy the new car!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Uh... OK Congrats on the new Car...
      03-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Dude....When you pay premium price, you deserve premium service!!! I am with you 110%
      03-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Prodigy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, Alpine White

haha... great story...serves them right
      03-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
slick101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
good job brother!!! after 3 months of waiting and a payment of 50000 dollars for the next 4 years i would have gone nuclear on that guy......
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
needashower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

You seem to have a superiority complex. Its a car for goodness sakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Every time I read stories like this, it reaffirms my decision to do PCD.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by needashower View Post
You seem to have a superiority complex. Its a car for goodness sakes.
Well when you pick up a brand new car, you expect it to be perfect. The scratches come later after your duration of ownership, not before it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

The only thing I dont understand is all the people on here that talk trash on the employees at dealers. You must know they are all human beings. If I have a customer yelling and being a jerk, I dont really have much enthusiasm to help them. But if they are being nice, I do everything in my power to get them what they want. The common misconception about employees at dealers is that they are all out to get you, can work 85 to 90 hours a week, and will never EVER make a mistake. I hope you are taking note of all the sarcasm...
      03-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
how many horsies are you pulling with a 335d?
      03-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What a strange experience. In my own, buying a BMW was the best customer satisfaction I have ever experienced. When I see people complain about theirs, I wonder how did that happen given BMWs checks and balances, but also, how come they treated the BMW personnel like that given the nature of a let's say 50k USD purchase?

If I felt a dealership were trying to put one over on me, I'm out of there, I'm not going to give them my business. I would not let my 8 wk. wait play any factor in my decision, it's my 50k, and I'll spend it where the delivery experience will go over well. Then again, every aspect of my purchase went well, from the order, to the updates, to the financing, through the delivery. Again, for the sheer $ amount that changed hands, that's how it should be.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
The only thing I dont understand is all the people on here that talk trash on the employees at dealers. You must know they are all human beings. If I have a customer yelling and being a jerk, I dont really have much enthusiasm to help them. But if they are being nice, I do everything in my power to get them what they want. The common misconception about employees at dealers is that they are all out to get you, can work 85 to 90 hours a week, and will never EVER make a mistake. I hope you are taking note of all the sarcasm...
Couldn't agree with you more--I know my dealership made a fine margin, despite my $1700 off list (which at the time I thought was great *lol*). But the way they behaved was as if they wanted to earn the margin and treat me as a valued new customer.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #16
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
they try to get you any way they can... but jokes on them....

congrats, and post some pics
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #17
dunit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I refused delivery on my 328i ,which came in last November, because of poor make ready. The plastic trim between the front and back windows was badly scratched. They also chiped and scratched the paint on the door .The car had specs of white wax all over.The included mats were"back ordered" ,fluid spilled around the power steering container. I guess it could have been fixed, but I had a bad feeling about the dealer after this. I ended up ordering the same car from another dealer with no problem. I couldn't see buying a damaged new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:18 AM   #18
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
I always give the benefit of the doubt. But when you are spending £40k you have to have your wits about you. This is the first bad experience that I have had with BMW. I appreciate that the SA works hard, but i'm sure he remunerated well for that. I deal with customers/clients all the time and I guess like any job you see the same thing over and over again, and it is quite easy to get complaicent and cynical. I always try to remind myself how for this customer/client his/her experience is unique for them, eventhough it is not so unique to yourself anymore. I think they call it RESPECT.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:42 AM   #19
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snawaz View Post
I always give the benefit of the doubt. But when you are spending £40k you have to have your wits about you. This is the first bad experience that I have had with BMW. I appreciate that the SA works hard, but i'm sure he remunerated well for that. I deal with customers/clients all the time and I guess like any job you see the same thing over and over again, and it is quite easy to get complaicent and cynical. I always try to remind myself how for this customer/client his/her experience is unique for them, eventhough it is not so unique to yourself anymore. I think they call it RESPECT.
Our point is that goes without saying, you were buying a BMW, not any old car. Their organization has a prescribed method of ordering a vehicle, having the customer wait, and taking delivery. Why your delivery went awry is beyond anyone, because it's the exception. But imho your reaction isn't warranted either, it's embarassing. It's like going to a fine restaurant, and complaining until the meal is free. Yes, in the end you got a free meal, but you caused a scene which to me is embarassing. Like I said, if the dealer were to try to put one over on me, I walk away and buy from a better dealer, I don't stoop to that level. That's me.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 04:07 AM   #20
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Our point is that goes without saying, you were buying a BMW, not any old car. Their organization has a prescribed method of ordering a vehicle, having the customer wait, and taking delivery. Why your delivery went awry is beyond anyone, because it's the exception. But imho your reaction isn't warranted either, it's embarassing. It's like going to a fine restaurant, and complaining until the meal is free. Yes, in the end you got a free meal, but you caused a scene which to me is embarassing. Like I said, if the dealer were to try to put one over on me, I walk away and buy from a better dealer, I don't stoop to that level. That's me.
Sir,
How dare you make such assumptions. Where did you get the impression I was looking for a free meal? How dare you!!!
I never said the dealer wanted to put one over me, IMO he was just being lazy. Do you call £40k a free meal.
What makes you think I caused a scene. I put my point across to him in as professional a manner as possible under the circumstances. IMO I did this guy a favour by not walking away from the deal like you would have done. And by complaining, respectfully, maybe he will change his attitude for the better, and in turn this will help other Bimmer buyers.
I'm afraid you miss the point completely. Its people like yourself, unwilling to complain, from the sounds of thing, that allows unscrupulous traders to get away with things.
Are you a SA by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 05:31 AM   #21
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Stay off the drugs man From reading his post how did you come to the
conclusion that he was trying to get a freebie in ANY way? Which btw he
did not. He is paying an arm and a leg for his car (lived in the UK for 15
years and I also know how BMW SAs behave and talk there) and he is
entitled to have the car delivered in absolute perfect condition. His money
is for a brand new car not for a brand new car that's dirty and has a couple
of scratches here and there. If someone had the wrong attitude and had a
reaction that was embarassing and created a scene, that was the SA and
not the customer.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #22
snawaz