E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Aluminium pedal installation

03-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Aluminium pedal installation

Not much experience drilling, especially into metal.

Don't want to screw up my pedals...should I buy a drill and try to do it myself or pay someone?

Anyone done this before? Any volunteers to help?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
gberger1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Should be pretty dang easy, two tips that will help, get the right bit to drill into metal (and the right size) and use a center punch, this will keep the bit from "dancing" on the meal while your biting into the metal.

I race sportbikes, the first time I had to drill and safety wire my bike I was a bit worried, though it is really very easy.

Something else that may assist you is a sharpie with a fine point, line up the pedal, make marks with the sharpie then center punch and drill. I would drill one hole first then put the bolt through and make sure the other dots from sharpie still line up.

Good luck, you can do this!!! Dont want to have to trade in your "man card" over this one!!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Chicks-Love-Bimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Did it with a help from a buddy of mine. I don't think it's necessary to hire someone to do it, if you have a drill, I'd say to just do it yourself.

Pretty straight forward, first tape the pedals around the areas you're going to drill in, take off the rubber part from the aluminum pedal, line it up on the pedals, mark the dots of where you're going to drill from the rubber part, and drill.

The drill bits you'll need will be the 5/32nd, and the 9/64th ones. I would first check to see if the nails match with the drill bits you'll be using first so you won't end up with a hole too big or too small.

The brake pedal is the hardest since it's metal, but if you have a strong enough drill and a steady hand, it shouldn't be a problem, just keep it still and it should drill through completely.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Blackbird
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 Graphite Metallic

Garage List
2007 E90  [0.00]
It is pretty easy, and it never hurts to practice on something first. If you don't have some scrap metal lying around, buy something at the hardware store when you pick up your bits. Try to find something of similar thickness. You might find something in the plumbing or HVAC aisles. Or even buy a metal yard stick that you can use in the future. Drill a few holes in it just to get the feel. The extra $5-10 you'll spend on this will make you feel a lot more comfortable.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

so I only recently moved to this area and I havent gotten a drill yet.

Considering I've never neded one before, should I get one for this...or can someone on here help me out?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamara1984 View Post
so I only recently moved to this area and I havent gotten a drill yet.

Considering I've never neded one before, should I get one for this...or can someone on here help me out?
you'll easily get help from your workplace, just post to the DL.
Appreciate 0