E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > How close should I expect paint match to be on non-OEM parts?

03-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

How close should I expect paint match to be on non-OEM parts?

I recently purchased painted reflectors and a m3 lip spoiler from one of the forum-sponsor vendors (I don't want to mention any names, as I'm waiting for a PM response to my inquiry), and while overall fittment is pretty good, I feel like the paint match w/ my car (alpine white) isn't great. It's not so far off that you could notice at first glance, but it's just off enough that anybody looking at the car would notice that these parts did not originally come with the car.

My parts, in particular, have a bit more of a grey-cast to them, and don't have the same "depth" of color. It was different enough that a friend who was looking at my new car asked if the painted reflectors were some sort of PDC/radar panel.

Anyway, I see a lot of pictures from people with similar parts, and I can't tell that they weren't oem-painted. Should I expect the same in person, or would that be asking too much?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
ttam
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet movie theater

AW is a really hard color to match. Unless you got to a body shop that does paint matching, you cannot expect the outcome to be 100%.

I usually go to perfect color in orange county. They do amazing paint work.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
yeah aw is the hardest color to match. Matching paint to oem is very difficult and you should expect slight color difference, but I think since your car is aw it makes it even more noticeable.