E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Hardcore detailers for a Jetblack car?

03-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Hardcore detailers for a Jetblack car?

Hey there,

I'm really new into detailing. Before today, I didnt get past the "wash and dry" process other then removing bug stains. But I'm really enjoying having a perfectly clean car and plan on making this as my primary pasttime in the next summer.

I would like to know what would be your "get started" kit for a jet black car?

I already bought everything I need (I think) but my mistake was to take the "best available" products without even thinking what was best for black cars. I took my advices from too many places and I would like to be able to rate my decisions so far and to add the products I may miss.

I went for a PC 7424XP with the 4 inches backing plate and pads; but I would like to get your input as for pads/stuff combos for a black car.

I think my car wasnt ever detailed so there's lots of micro-scratches but none that cant be removed.

I got 5 of each orange, blue, yellow and green, and I got 4" wool pad and a 5.5 black pad. I already got 4 surbuf 4" pads. So i'm gonna see which kind of pads I use most at my first detail and buy those in 5.5 for the next one. I guess the 4" will be useful someday tho. But for the 5.5in, I will most likely go with Meguiar's microfiber pads since they get so much good reviews.

As for my products, I already used Meguiar's gold class shampoo; which is a win to start with... Some Meg QD with clay bars, goo gone and Meg's tirestuff. I'm looking to buy a good foam gun for this summer.

As for those I never used before, I got a quart of Menzerna super intensive polish, a quart of finishing glaze, a pint of powerlock polymer sealant an a pint of super finish. I tried to stick at Menzerna at first and then try other stuff when I get used to it.

So what is missing; what would you replace?

Thanks for your sharings.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]

Last edited by MaximusJ; 03-17-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
id start off by getting some bigger pads. its going to take you a long time to polish your car with a 4" pad...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
They say that the smaller's the better. So I've picked them up with that in mind.

I'll start with that and if I lose patience; I know what to do

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
jeffvb9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW x4m comp

Smaller is only better when it comes to tight places like under the mirrors or around the license plate frame area.

You'll want 5" or 6" pads for sure.

Do a search on Jet Black in the detail section. You will find plenty of information.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

detailedimage.com is your source.

PC with 4" and 5.5" pads, not 6"+
menzerna polishes: sip, power finish, 85rd
ultra fine clay bar
quality MF towels will be your best friend along with a good QD like meguiars last touch, or FK425
sealant wax like blackfire wet diamond or menzerna powerlock
sonax or chemical guys diablo wheel gel
ezdetail brush

if you think you are going to end up detailing other peoples cars, get some 5.5" surfbuf pads and meguiars 105 compound as well.

IT WILL TAKE YOU FOREVER TO POLISH THE CAR WITH A 4" PAD, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GET THE 5.5" NOW
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
detailedimage.com is your source.

PC with 4" and 5.5" pads, not 6"+
menzerna polishes: sip, power finish, 85rd
ultra fine clay bar
quality MF towels will be your best friend along with a good QD like meguiars last touch, or FK425
sealant wax like blackfire wet diamond or menzerna powerlock
sonax or chemical guys diablo wheel gel
ezdetail brush

if you think you are going to end up detailing other peoples cars, get some 5.5" surfbuf pads and meguiars 105 compound as well.

IT WILL TAKE YOU FOREVER TO POLISH THE CAR WITH A 4" PAD, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GET THE 5.5" NOW
All great stuff for JB. It's a love/hate relationship with me. My car hasn't been clean in months thanks to winter and the occasional touchless wash, but when it's summer and freshly detailed nothing beats it.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
posite
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I did my first detail on my pretty jacked up jet black paint last week. DetailedImage gave great advice and 8-9 hours later it looks outstanding. Meguiars m105/205 were a great combo; Blackfire wet diamond sealant and then a day later dodo juice black velvet wax and now the paint has no swirling or haze and looks ridiculously good with a deep color and a mirror finish (besides the orange peel). I definitely agree on the 5.5" pads btw.. Just get the kit on detailedimage.com with the setup. I spent around 600 or so on everything and have crazy amounts of product left.

I did my research and followed the FAQs and it paid off. You should be fine doing the same!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I took my product advices on detailed image, but since they dont ship to Canada anymore, I had to make my order on detailer's domain. I mixmatched the product recommandations and went for a final pick of each product.

I also had a $500 voucher at canadian tire so I went there and bought everything I could find that was recommended by either one or both of the sites and bought everything else online. CT has almost everything from Meguiar's and the PC and I bought the pads and Manzerna stuff from Detailer's domain.

I should be good to go; except for the pads. But just wanted to double check if I was missing something or if some products arent effective enough for black paint.

I will try to post the list tonight.

thanks for the advices.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Holliday
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i w/ M package

detailersdomain.com and autogeek.net are great sources

Good luck!
      03-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Late to the post but:

I would use 5.5 inch pads and backing plate; Megs 105 on orange pad, Megs 205 on white, Menz 85RD on a black pad should be able to get most corrections done. If severely swirled etc you might need a rotary or at least some really agressive pads like Surbuf. Seal and LSP depends on the look you like but can't go wrong IMO with BFWD topped with the wax of your choice. I use PB Natty Blue but am experimenting with Collonite 845 as the final topper. Most importantly make sure you wash, dry and use QD as directed on the how to's or you will reintroduce the swirls and rids over time. JB can be a pita but looks so good for those few moments when clean and perfect!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

black is always a biootch!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
prican_2000
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i M-Sport

I have a JB car and subscribing with a Big bag of popcorn to learn more.
Grey 08 E92 335xi:20% Tint, Dynavin N6 Nav, Golf Tee Mod, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, AFE CAI -GONE
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
That's a shame because I bought a LOT of pads lol... I got 5 of each orange, blue, yellow and green, but I got a 5.5 black pad. I already got 4 surbuf 4" pads. So i'm gonna see which kind of pads I use most at my first detail and buy those in 5.5 for the next one. I guess the 4" will be useful someday tho. But for the 5.5in, I will most likely go with Meguiar's microfiber pads since they get so much good reviews.

As for my products, I already used Meguiar's gold class shampoo; which is a win to start with... Some Meg QD with clay bars, goo gone and Meg's tirestuff. I'm looking to buy a good foam gun for this summer.

As for those I never used before, I got a quart of Menzerna super intensive polish, a quart of finishing glaze, a pint of powerlock polymer sealant an a pint of super finish. I tried to stick at Menzerna at first and then try other stuff when I get used to it.

So what is missing; what would you replace? (Maybe I should have listed those at the first post; but I was during lunch time at work)

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]

Last edited by MaximusJ; 03-17-2011 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
That's a shame because I bought a LOT of pads lol... I got 5 of each orange, blue, yellow and green, but I got a 5.5 black pad. I already got 4 surbuf 4" pads. So i'm gonna see which kind of pads I use most at my first detail and buy those in 5.5 for the next one. I guess the 4" will be useful someday tho. But for the 5.5in, I will most likely go with Meguiar's microfiber pads since they get so much good reviews.
Wow, that's a lot of pads... why do you need that many?!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

thats not a lot....I go through that many or more on every single 3 step job! (well, close to, and different color # combos) usually about 8 orange or 6 surbuf, then 4-5 white or tang hydro pads, then 3-4 black, then a single black or blue for excream, and a single for sealant

I remember one time on a 27 hour endeavor with an Audi that was washed with a brillo pad I ended up with something like 20 pads and 40 towels or something like that...ridiculous but thankful I had all those pads available to me!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #16
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post

So what is missing; what would you replace? (Maybe I should have listed those at the first post; but I was during lunch time at work)
Any thoughts?

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Ive used over the course of the years poorboys (which is all around garbage), megs 105 and 205 which is ok, but menzerna line up has totally changed detailing for me and jetblack.

The menzerna finishes down so easily its amazing.

I would use the bigger pads on the large surfaces, and the 4 inch for the tight places.

Using a 4 inch is really hard on the whole car and you will really waste a lot of time.

I just did my car the other day and its amazing the difference a good polish makes.

Sounds like you got most of what you need if not too many pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

you are starting at the top with menzerna, great call!

just make sure you have quality MF towels or buy the costco type for a couple uses then toss them once they start to harden up
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #19
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yes I got very good MF towels for drying; They are thick and when handled properly, they dont add any defects to the paint.

I also got a pack of the 24 mf cloth but I keep them as 1 use kind of thing and wash them after every use. I mainly use them for wheels and bumpers; but for the body its the thick ones only. Dont know why but I dont trust these for paint finishes.

So some 5" pads and a foam gun and I should be good to go.

Is Sonax stuff for wheels any good? I dont know if I would need it since my wheels are matte black. So it doesnt shows when they are sparkling clean or when they a bit dirty with braking dust. Some say its low-end stuff and some others keep it on the top shelf; so I guess i'm gonna have to use it myself to confirm. I was used to Eagle one over the years, but I want to try something new.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Ive never heard sonax to be low end....everyone raves about it. Try it out, its supposed to clean the wheel and break down brake dust, not shine it, so whether or not you have a finished wheel, or a matte wheel, make no difference!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Great Thread....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #22
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
Ive never heard sonax to be low end....everyone raves about it. Try it out, its supposed to clean the wheel and break down brake dust, not shine it, so whether or not you have a finished wheel, or a matte wheel, make no difference!
Good to know; i'll try it.

Is it driveway-safe? I would hate myself if I would stain my brand new driveway.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0