E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Confused about Angel Eyes

03-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #1
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

Confused about Angel Eyes

I'm really confused after reading about Angel Eyes. Ok so stock yellows are halogen and if I get the h8's at 4500 or 6000 watts then im just replacing them with more powerful/whiter halogen lights? But if I go PIAA then it becomes Xenon? If so how do you guys justify paying 300 for PIAA, when you could replace all 4 front bulbs for about 120 with the mtec's or whatever...

I did so please don't flame me, I'm still new to all of this and trying to read as much as I can.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
I'm really confused after reading about Angel Eyes. Ok so stock yellows are halogen and if I get the h8's at 4500 or 6000 watts then im just replacing them with more powerful/whiter halogen lights? But if I go PIAA then it becomes Xenon? If so how do you guys justify paying 300 for PIAA, when you could replace all 4 front bulbs for about 120 with the mtec's or whatever...

I did so please don't flame me, I'm still new to all of this and trying to read as much as I can.
Okay... where to start.. The Angel Eyes for e92s use halogens because it's used as DRLs (Daytime Running Lights). Replacing them with mtecs or more powerful lights will still be halogen, but it appears like xenon/plasma. As for PIAAs, i dont think they've got H8s yet? I dunno, it's been not too long, but possibly long enough since I went back into the Angel Eye thread. I think the 300 dollar ones are HID conv. kits, which comes with like ballasts and lighting and whatnot, so it'll be pretty expensive.
And, just fyi, it's 2 bulbs, which is equal to one pair. Angel eyes use one bulb for each headlight; therefore the outer ring gets it's light power from the one bulb which is right behind the inner ring. That's why the outer ring is lighter than the inside. I hope i explained taht right. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Angel eyes on the e92 (coupes) use a regular H8 35watt bulb. It comes standard as amber but you can buy a different colored bulb and replace it so your angel eyes will be white, blue, purple...whatever.

The PIAA your talking about is probably for the e90 (sedans). They require a more complicated method to change the color of angel eyes and such.