E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > another happy COBB camper

03-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
OM3G@
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 AW 335i sedan

another happy COBB camper

I don't have anything ground-breaking to contribute to the conversation, I just wanted to add to the growing number of positive testimonials for the COBB AP to help others with making their tuning decision. Install was as easy as advertised. I did not use any kind of battery trickle charger, wasn't necessary. I ordered through **********s on March 2nd and was delivered via UPS ground on March 8th.

While the power gains are substantial, I think some go overboard with their appraisal. With the number of CAPS, exclamation points and emoticons some use you would think their car had turned into a veyron killer. I saw the same thing with the CDV removal forums which was even more dramatic, being that it’s a $20 part (or free). Don't get me wrong, the car is transformed and much more enjoyable but since I’m a down to earth guy you’ll get no screaming CAPS and only two exclamation points. It works great!!

'09 AW e90 335i w/steering wheel, gas pedal, seatbelts, windshield, and much more!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
momstmg78
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

That's good to hear. I'm thinking about switching to cobb.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
teamben158
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335i

AH! I really need to stop reading this forum. I've been reading about the Cobb ever since I got my car (2 weeks ago lol) and have been really close to ordering it several times...but it would be really irresponsible of me with my current situation....

Decisions, decisions...
      03-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
awesome another happy customer, what really lead me to Cobb was the installed super easy
      03-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

I just wish they support the '07s
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
happy w/ mine too. Feel the same about the pwr. just wish my cruise control was working...maybe it needs to be updated....
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I was looking at this as well. On the website it says beside the product page that it is for USDM only. I am assuming this means united states domestic market.....

If this is the case, hopefully they are soon able to offer support for us Canadians as I cannot see a huge difference between US cars and CDN cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Smitty1
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I

Congrats, I was just going to post on how much I like the cobb AP.
I know there are plenty of great tunes out there but it took me all of five minutes to uninstall. I'm waiting on parts for 3 weeks so installed the AP again, and will uninstall when I take it back for service. The AP gives plenty of power but the ease of use is what I love. Going back in forth from the dealer with a piggy would be pita.

I know it is easy to install the pigybacks, but taking the time is what gets me. The last thing I have time for is having to monkey around with my car because I have to take it in for service.

Well worth the money and the latest update is a monster.

@teamben I sold some stuff I had on feebay and got in dutch with the wife when I went out and bought the AP. I have to say I don't regret it one bit.

I just drove the latest up date oh man, it turns the car into a rocket. Totally different car.

I hope that Cobb gets it to guys with 07's, I will tell you it would be worth the wait.

Last edited by Smitty1; 03-10-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaks View Post
I was looking at this as well. On the website it says beside the product page that it is for USDM only. I am assuming this means united states domestic market.....

If this is the case, hopefully they are soon able to offer support for us Canadians as I cannot see a huge difference between US cars and CDN cars.
works fine on CND cars BTW
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
gboop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3G@ View Post
While the power gains are substantial, I think some go overboard with their appraisal.
I think that at around 350+ whp things start to get really fun, but I wouldn't want to push the engine past that for a daily driver. I don't think that's really achievable without DP+FMIC though. That's what kills me. I want 350 wheel hp without the hassle of uninstalling downpipes, FMIC, etc.

Anybody know if it is possible to come close to this power with quick DIY uninstall when needed? Let's say I get a performance exhaust and make K&N + charcoal delete + scoops intake changes. What else can be done that is quickly reversible but would bring me closer to ~350 whp?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gboop View Post
I think that at around 350+ whp things start to get really fun, but I wouldn't want to push the engine past that for a daily driver. I don't think that's really achievable without DP+FMIC though. That's what kills me. I want 350 wheel hp without the hassle of uninstalling downpipes, FMIC, etc.

Anybody know if it is possible to come close to this power with quick DIY uninstall when needed? Let's say I get a performance exhaust and make K&N + charcoal delete + scoops intake changes. What else can be done that is quickly reversible but would bring me closer to ~350 whp?
CAI, tune, intake, and exhaust will get you to 350whp
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #12
Enicinitas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray Coupe

Cobb is solid in all platforms. BMW will be NO different if you use empirical data as you choose your tune
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #13
Enicinitas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray Coupe

**********s is the most honest and upstanding vendor on every forum . They have a proven track record of telling the absolute truth...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Really happy with my Cobb as well, plus-no more time under the hood. Car is a beast down low but to me, compared to the JB3, runs out of steam up top. Now I did uninstall my intake as well so that may be the reason as well. I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
teamben158
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1 View Post
@teamben I sold some stuff I had on feebay and got in dutch with the wife when I went out and bought the AP. I have to say I don't regret it one bit.

I just drove the latest up date oh man, it turns the car into a rocket. Totally different car.

I hope that Cobb gets it to guys with 07's, I will tell you it would be worth the wait.
It's funny you say that. I was looking around my apartment last night, looking for shit I could sell to buy one, or at least justify the purchase more. Even considered having my first child, just so I could sell him/her to afford more mods.

Is that bad?
      03-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3G@ View Post
I don't have anything ground-breaking to contribute to the conversation, I just wanted to add to the growing number of positive testimonials for the COBB AP to help others with making their tuning decision. Install was as easy as advertised. I did not use any kind of battery trickle charger, wasn't necessary. I ordered through **********s on March 2nd and was delivered via UPS ground on March 8th.

While the power gains are substantial, I think some go overboard with their appraisal. With the number of CAPS, exclamation points and emoticons some use you would think their car had turned into a veyron killer. I saw the same thing with the CDV removal forums which was even more dramatic, being that it’s a $20 part (or free). Don't get me wrong, the car is transformed and much more enjoyable but since I’m a down to earth guy you’ll get no screaming CAPS and only two exclamation points. It works great!!
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the COBB AP as it definitely is a great tune. I'm sure that you're enjoying the new found horsepower and torque on the car! I couldn't be happier with the steady and consistency power gains on my 335i as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momstmg78 View Post
That's good to hear. I'm thinking about switching to cobb.
The COBB AP is great and you should definitely consider it. What tune do you currently have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamben158 View Post
AH! I really need to stop reading this forum. I've been reading about the Cobb ever since I got my car (2 weeks ago lol) and have been really close to ordering it several times...but it would be really irresponsible of me with my current situation....

Decisions, decisions...
You need to stop thinking about it and just do it. It really is one of the best mods you can do for your car. You will get a whole lot more functions and accessibility with the COBB AP. You do get free software and map updates for life that be downloaded straight from the COBB AP Manager software. Not to mention that the COBB AP does allow for you to do live data logging, trouble shoot and scan codes, and of course switch maps on the fly as well! Installation is simple and it literally takes 10 minutes to download your stock map to the COBB AP and 8-10 minutes to flash your car to the stage 1 map. You can also export your stock map on your computer to back it up just in case you do ever lose your COBB AP Hand held unit. You can also export all of your data logs to your PC as well. I'll go ahead and shoot you over a PM with more details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_S4 View Post
awesome another happy customer, what really lead me to Cobb was the installed super easy
Glad to hear that your enjoying this great product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
I just wish they support the '07s
07 support is on it's way and more info should be released real soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
happy w/ mine too. Feel the same about the pwr. just wish my cruise control was working...maybe it needs to be updated....
Not sure why your cruise control isn't functioning as mines does work perfectly fine. You may want to update the firmware on your COBB AP Unit via the COBB AP manager on your computer first. Uninstall your current flash and of course reinstall the stage 1 tune to make sure you have the most up to date map on your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaks View Post

Should be fine for all you guys in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1 View Post
Congrats, I was just going to post on how much I like the cobb AP.
I know there are plenty of great tunes out there but it took me all of five minutes to uninstall. I'm waiting on parts for 3 weeks so installed the AP again, and will uninstall when I take it back for service. The AP gives plenty of power but the ease of use is what I love. Going back in forth from the dealer with a piggy would be pita.

I know it is easy to install the pigybacks, but taking the time is what gets me. The last thing I have time for is having to monkey around with my car because I have to take it in for service.

Well worth the money and the latest update is a monster.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Glad to hear that you're just as happy with the COBB AP as myself and other owners as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
works fine on CND cars BTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gboop View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
CAI, tune, intake, and exhaust will get you to 350whp
^ exactly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enicinitas View Post
Cobb is solid in all platforms. BMW will be NO different if you use empirical data as you choose your tune
You're absolutely correct as COBB has been extremely successful on all platforms because their stuff is really top notch. Most of the Nissan GTR's out there that are pushing 1000+ HP are running a COBB Pro Tune. They've been in the game for a really long time and definitely know what they're doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enicinitas View Post
**********s is the most honest and upstanding vendor on every forum . They have a proven track record of telling the absolute truth...
Thanks for the kind words sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Really happy with my Cobb as well, plus-no more time under the hood. Car is a beast down low but to me, compared to the JB3, runs out of steam up top. Now I did uninstall my intake as well so that may be the reason as well. I don't know.
That is one of the main reasons why I went with the COBB AP myself as I simply don't have time to be under the hood to install/uninstall a piggy back. Put your intake back on and see how your car feels then and let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamben158 View Post
It's funny you say that. I was looking around my apartment last night, looking for shit I could sell to buy one, or at least justify the purchase more. Even considered having my first child, just so I could sell him/her to afford more mods.

Is that bad?
The mod bugs got you bad haha!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thank you very much to all for the kind words about our product and company. We appreciate and value all feedback -- praises and criticisms alike. Please let me know if we can be of assistance or answer any other questions.

Best regards-
Lance
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #18
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

[QUOTE=gbreeE90;9104257][QUOTE=gboop;9104235]I think that at around 350 whp things start to get really fun, but I wouldn't want to push the engine past that for a daily driver. I don't think that's really achievable without DP FMIC though. That's what kills me. I want 350 wheel hp without the hassle of uninstalling downpipes, FMIC, etc.

Anybody know if it is possible to come close to this power with quick DIY uninstall when needed? Let's say I get a performance exhaust and make K
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #19
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Thank you very much to all for the kind words about our product and company. We appreciate and value all feedback -- praises and criticisms alike. Please let me know if we can be of assistance or answer any other questions.

Best regards-
Lance
can you comment on the functionality of reading and/or deleting fault codes? do we still need a BT tool?
what is the possibility of registering a new battery and coding injectors? with functionality like that, it would pay for itself
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #20
Surquhar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I have stock car with a COBB tune. The AP clears everything! I have "uninstalled" the AP. Had service done and reistalled the AP. No problems at all. And to the OP, your crazy! my car is a TON faster and yes I will put text in bold because thats how it feels to me,
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
OM3G@
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 AW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surquhar View Post
... And to the OP, your crazy!
meh, I've been called worse. My car's also stock, except for an AFE drop-in filter. On the list of everything I want to do to the car, the tune had by far the best dollar/hp ratio.

'09 AW e90 335i w/steering wheel, gas pedal, seatbelts, windshield, and much more!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #22
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post

That is one of the main reasons why I went with the COBB AP myself as I simply don't have time to be under the hood to install/uninstall a piggy back. Put your intake back on and see how your car feels then and let us know!

Might after service is done (dealer backed up for almost 2 weeks). Boom showed a decrease with the open intake on. I might leave mine stock. I actually like the sound with the stock intake. I actually don't know if it's the cobb or stock intake because both were swapped at the same time, but the engine note in the higher rpms sounds better.
Appreciate 0