E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > HELP! Need a realtor in Calgary, anyone you'd recommend?

02-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

HELP! Need a realtor in Calgary, anyone you'd recommend?

Hi guys,

Had a house up for sale for about 8 months now and the damn guy has only managed to get 1 couple to look at it, the 2nd couple was through myself. We didn't drop him because he 'promised' it would be gone within the next couple of months, obviously that wasn't the case. I won't mention the name of the realtor.

So any who, can anyone recommend me a realtor they have had a good experience with or just someone you know that has a proven track record in shifting houses fast. I know the market isn't at it's peak right now but we're selling a house that is brand new and never lived in, so hopefully with some good advertising and consistency it can be gone very soon.

Thanks in advance!
BMW Fanatic
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Dude, the only real reason a house doesn't sell is price. Realtors don't make much of a difference, although admittedly they vary wildly in terms of marketing abilities and general competence. Drop the price and it will sell, simple as that.
      02-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

^ but that doesn't explain only 1 couples in 8 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
Dude, the only real reason a house doesn't sell is price. Realtors don't make much of a difference, although admittedly they vary wildly in terms of marketing abilities and general competence. Drop the price and it will sell, simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taYab View Post
^ but that doesn't explain only 1 couples in 8 months.
We have reduced the price 3 times in 8 months, considerable amounts each time. Now it is listed at a steal of a price considering it is not only the biggest house on the road but also has many cosmetic and electrical upgrades. Just need someone who knows how to advertise and get the job done
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
We have reduced the price 3 times in 8 months, considerable amounts each time. Now it is listed at a steal of a price considering it is not only the biggest house on the road but also has many cosmetic and electrical upgrades. Just need someone who knows how to advertise and get the job done
Just because you are the biggest house on your street does not mean you are at fair market value. MLS advertises your house. So when someone sees your house beside all the other houses in the same price range, its very easy to compare options.

Its obvious your house is over priced. Your Realtor could be a knob, but i am willing to bet if you posted your MLS ad, most of us would agree.

Putting your house on the market for 8 months is only hurting you. People that keep an eye on MLS are going to low ball the shit out of you. A Realtor will also tell potential buyers that your house has been on the market for a very long time. This will not work in your favor.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post
Just because you are the biggest house on your street does not mean you are at fair market value. MLS advertises your house. So when someone sees your house beside all the other houses in the same price range, its very easy to compare options.

Its obvious your house is over priced. Your Realtor could be a knob, but i am willing to bet if you posted your MLS ad, most of us would agree.

Putting your house on the market for 8 months is only hurting you. People that keep an eye on MLS are going to low ball the shit out of you. A Realtor will also tell potential buyers that your house has been on the market for a very long time. This will not work in your favor.
true to an extent. It could partly be the price but the realtor also plays a big part.

every realtor has different negotiation skills and their personalities and professionalism will affect the clients. I'm not even talking about which realestate firm the realtor is under. I'm talking about the popularity of the realtor.

Many people do not have agents who represent them when they buy a house which is the reason you see all these ads on the newspaper. Chinese or English. Newspapers reach that kind of audience. Another fact is, sucessful agents have many contacts, connections, and referrals so a good skillful agent in the Medallion Club always meeting sales targets will undoubtedly do a better job than an average joe who only completes 2 listings a month.

Don't think realtors make no influence in the reason why his property hasn't been sold in 8 months. 8 months is a long time; too long in fact. Usually agents get signed to list the house for 3 month intervals at most. clearly your price is not the problem, its other factors.

MLS is database to search for listings. But the ultimate role lies in the Realtor arrange showings (with cold clients and clients of his own), open house, and draw clients in and sell the the house. the realtor has to be motivated, ambitious among other traits though if your house is really that bad. If it is that bad, a knowledgeable realtor should advise you on how to touch up the house because he has tried his best on his part.

how many offers did you have that was almost completed? If you lowered your price 3 times, then its safe to assume your price is extremely competitive among your neighbourhood, why is it not selling? I think its time to switch realtors, sign with a more "famous" one.
      03-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaifaun View Post
how many offers did you have that was almost completed? If you lowered your price 3 times, then its safe to assume your price is extremely competitive among your neighbourhood, why is it not selling? I think its time to switch realtors, sign with a more "famous" one.
This logic makes no sense at all. How do you know it's competitive? The only way to know for sure is to see what similar properties in the immediate area have actually sold for in the last couple of months.

Again, a better realtor will definitely take a hard look at price, since it is the single biggest factor in why houses do or don't sell. The other stuff (presentation, realtor's skills, etc.) is far less significant.
      03-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Here is the MLS listing. http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ey=-1233375621

Here is the welist.com listing. http://welist.com/listings_detail.php?listing=44928

If you still want to tell me it's listed too high then I have no comment to your replies, it's an absolute steal in terms of house buying. Contract with the realtor is up as of today, if anyone can suggest someone it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
This logic makes no sense at all. How do you know it's competitive? The only way to know for sure is to see what similar properties in the immediate area have actually sold for in the last couple of months.

Again, a better realtor will definitely take a hard look at price, since it is the single biggest factor in why houses do or don't sell. The other stuff (presentation, realtor's skills, etc.) is far less significant.
I was basing my assumption on the OP's word. he said he lowered the price 3 times, each time a generous sum. Of course the main deciding factor in whether the house sells or not is the price but that does not mean the realtor is left out of question.