E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Car stuff on Ebay is a nightmare!

02-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

Car stuff on Ebay is a nightmare!

Personally I have rarely had trouble on fleabay with non-car related stuff, but buying or selling car-related items can be a nightmare!

I bought a second set of 17" alloys to use as summers (same as the ones currently being used on the car with winter tyres), I am selling the 18's. "Minor kerbing damage" turned out to mean "cosmetically f*cked" so I had them refurbished. I also bought a set of part worn tyres to use with them for this summer, as I have spent far too much recently and an un-damaged, un repaired top quality tyre with 6mm tread for £40-50 is a pretty good deal - plenty about.

One of the tyres was a Conti SC3 with nearly 8mm tread - so barely used. It came from a tyre dealer with allegedly no damage or repairs and "pressure tested". It arrived, it looked fine (I check the outer sidewalls and the tread mostly) and I gave positive feedback before sending it with 3 other tyres and the wheels to the wheel refurbisher.

When the refurbishing place went to fit it they noticed inner sidewall damage consistent with being run flat, and a split in the sidewall, so it is just a heavy item of trash basically. It can't have been pressure tested. I have opened a case on Ebay and what a surprise, the seller says I positive feedbacked it over 2 weeks ago so must have damaged it myself!

I'm a vindictive sod when wronged so will definitely be contacting trading standards if the Ebay claim does not work out... It is a biggish business from the look of it, not a private seller, they have much to lose... But this does seem to happen a lot on Ebay with car stuff, sadly.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
sorry to hear of your experience. I always make sure I wait untill ive recieved feedback before giving feedback.

once some nob seller gave me positive or neutral feedback (cant remem which cos sellers cant give negative feedback) but put a negative commment in the bit where you write your comments. Complained to ebay and they took it off.

If you paid via Paypal you should get your money back I hope
      02-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

It's not just car parts....
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

I've always been fine with mountain bike and camera gear - I use old 8-speed XTR bike stuff so can only source that on Ebay and it has never been an issue...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

From my experience in eBay, i always ask for high resolution photo's from the seller before bidding, and if possible i would drive and collect the stuff if it costs a large amount of money, so i can check and walk away if it not as described.

I bought a router once which said was near new and not been used...the fact was its been used like any modem and covered in dust..i complained and the seller insisted it's new and said I was lying! from that day on, i will be selfish and ask for any photo's or checks even it means a lot of trouble, if they aren't willing to comply then if i win the action i will complain like fXXk lol
Appreciate 0