E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Seriously Considering the Following Suspensions

02-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Seriously Considering the Following Suspensions

EIBACH PRO SYSTEM: Tuned well as most owners say their car now handles like its on rails with a ride thats super smooth.

SONIC TUNING S1: Great adjustability both in height and damping with easy to use damping adjusters at the top of the each shock. Also, all reviews seem quite positive.

MY QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS:

EPS: With spring rates that are nearly identical to those of stock ZSP, will the handling not seem as good as the aging BMW Performance Pack that I have now with springs that are a little stronger? Will I be let down? I have about 60k miles on the BMW kit at this point and its certainly lost a step or two.

S1: With spring rates of 450/500lbs is it too much for the street? I remember with my PSS9s that on the softer damping setting the car oscillated a bit on bumps since there was not enough damping force, but dialing up the damping to fix that and the ride became a bit hard and jarring.

UGH, so much to consider, and I dont have nearly the income I had back then so I need this to be right the first time as swapping wont be an option for quite some time.

Any thoughts?
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

450/500 is a terrible spring rate combo. get ready for terrible pitching.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Zechariaha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

i run 9 n 8
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Fraggy,

What dont you like about the BMW Performance suspension??

Yves
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Fraggy,

What dont you like about the BMW Performance suspension??

Yves
Well, for one its getting old, its got 60k on it and its starting to show. Its starting to bounce (oscillate) over bumps as if the dampers no longer keep the car in place, especially in the rear.

I always felt something was "off" with this setup from the day I put it in. It had attributes that the PSS9s didnt have. It was harsh, crashing, and had some bounce from the start, but it also only cost 900 at that time and PSS9s were 1700, so yea, it made sense.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

60k! You get around a bit.

Know what, I dont think any set up works in the long run

Theres something fundamental about the way the 3 series underpinnings are designed that make all shocker/spring combo's feel compromised....We feel initial euphoria when we try something new and then not long after,.....hmm, thats not the answer I was looking for after all.

Discuss

BTW - How do you rate the Falken 912's on this car??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Well, for one its getting old, its got 60k on it and its starting to show. Its starting to bounce (oscillate) over bumps as if the dampers no longer keep the car in place, especially in the rear.

I always felt something was "off" with this setup from the day I put it in. It had attributes that the PSS9s didnt have. It was harsh, crashing, and had some bounce from the start, but it also only cost 900 at that time and PSS9s were 1700, so yea, it made sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
60k! You get around a bit.

Know what, I dont think any set up works in the long run

Theres something fundamental about the way the 3 series underpinnings are designed that make all shocker/spring combo's feel compromised....We feel initial euphoria when we try something new and then not long after,.....hmm, thats not the answer I was looking for after all.

Discuss

BTW - How do you rate the Falken 912's on this car??
I have 84K miles on the car over all, so yea, I do drive a lot.

I was totally in love with the first set of 912's and didnt even look at other options when I needed new tires. Im not as happy with this second set. Its probably my car as I had M3 front tension rods which I no longer have. So now the 912's seems too mushy. It might also be the aging suspension too, there are so many variables as the car is aging.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
450/500 is a terrible spring rate combo. get ready for terrible pitching.
Yea, Ive been concerned about that too, the ratio seems best at about 1:2 for this car, even 1:2.5.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Shes getting close to retirement me thinks. Respect to the old girl.

As you say, having fiddled with so many variables, you kind of forget how the Maker intended it in the 1st place.

I bet that if you went back to the complete bog stock set up (with normal tyres of course) you would think it feels quite nice.

Cheers

Quote:
I have 84K miles on the car over all, so yea, I do drive a lot.

I was totally in love with the first set of 912's and didnt even look at other options when I needed new tires. Im not as happy with this second set. Its probably my car as I had M3 front tension rods which I no longer have. So now the 912's seems too mushy. It might also be the aging suspension too, there are so many variables as the car is aging.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shes getting close to retirement me thinks. Respect to the old girl.

As you say, having fiddled with so many variables, you kind of forget how the Maker intended it in the 1st place.

I bet that if you went back to the complete bog stock set up (with normal tyres of course) you would think it feels quite nice.

Cheers
You know, I had a 1 series with sports pack as a loaner a while back and it was nice, but did not handle as well tho. Maybe a 3 is different.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
EIBACH PRO SYSTEM: Tuned well as most owners say their car now handles like its on rails with a ride thats super smooth.

SONIC TUNING S1: Great adjustability both in height and damping with easy to use damping adjusters at the top of the each shock. Also, all reviews seem quite positive.

MY QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS:

EPS: With spring rates that are nearly identical to those of stock ZSP, will the handling not seem as good as the aging BMW Performance Pack that I have now with springs that are a little stronger? Will I be let down? I have about 60k miles on the BMW kit at this point and its certainly lost a step or two.

S1: With spring rates of 450/500lbs is it too much for the street? I remember with my PSS9s that on the softer damping setting the car oscillated a bit on bumps since there was not enough damping force, but dialing up the damping to fix that and the ride became a bit hard and jarring.

UGH, so much to consider, and I dont have nearly the income I had back then so I need this to be right the first time as swapping wont be an option for quite some time.

Any thoughts?
I've also heard good things about the Eibach Pro System, but the Sport System is cheaper at Tire Rack... why not go with that one? Sportlines do not even lower as much as H&R Sport, no matter what they say. lol

Don't go with "Taiwanese" Sonic Tuning coilovers. I used to have Function/Form coilovers on my Accord (also Taiwanese and built in the same factory), and the ride was terribly valved. Also, the shock lowering mount is an awful idea... it comes loose too easily, and it also makes it really hard to lower and raise the car due to having to turn the actual shock to do so.

Look into Eibach Pro Street S or Suspension Techniques V1 coilovers... each can be found for around $900 or less and are built better, and they have better height adjustment mechanisms. I say that European-made parts should go on Euro cars and JDM or East Asian parts should go on JDM cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i have the sport system plus and i like it allot, not much worse then zsp. it all depends on the roads you drive, my sport susp wasnt exactly comfortable. the best thing about the eibach kits are that you can buy the dampers separately, im like you i will change shocks and struts every 50k or so regardless.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

Do you have 80k+ miles on the stock rear subframe bushings? If so, those may be the culprit. you can't blame the suspension when it can't due it's job properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
i have the sport system plus and i like it allot, not much worse then zsp. it all depends on the roads you drive, my sport susp wasnt exactly comfortable. the best thing about the eibach kits are that you can buy the dampers separately, im like you i will change shocks and struts every 50k or so regardless.
This is good info, thank you.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #15
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
I've also heard good things about the Eibach Pro System, but the Sport System is cheaper at Tire Rack... why not go with that one? Sportlines do not even lower as much as H&R Sport, no matter what they say. lol

Don't go with "Taiwanese" Sonic Tuning coilovers. I used to have Function/Form coilovers on my Accord (also Taiwanese and built in the same factory), and the ride was terribly valved. Also, the shock lowering mount is an awful idea... it comes loose too easily, and it also makes it really hard to lower and raise the car due to having to turn the actual shock to do so.

Look into Eibach Pro Street S or Suspension Techniques V1 coilovers... each can be found for around $900 or less and are built better, and they have better height adjustment mechanisms. I say that European-made parts should go on Euro cars and JDM or East Asian parts should go on JDM cars.
Our factory doesn't make function/form coils, it's completely different system.

The spring rate is comfortable for daily driving (comparable to OEM sports) when you set it to mid range, and turn up the numbers during track days.
This setup is really flexible and it's perfect for those that want a daily street/track setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #16
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

I got the PSS9s damn they look quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #17
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post

Look into Eibach Pro Street S
I will be installing these in my car this week
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
I will be installing these in my car this week
Cant wait to hear how it goes.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
I got the PSS9s damn they look quality.
Im thinking of going back to those. Who was the vendor selling them for 1200?
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Im thinking of going back to those. Who was the vendor selling them for 1200?
Supremepower 1250 shipped.

the pss9s are much better than the kwv1 and v2 kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
I got Dinan Stage 3 - not sure what the rates are ... but I had to give them one of my Kidneys for them...

I had to go full soft on the shocks because I was getting a bit car sick with the lack of give. Now it is ok, but it is firm still...

I was told to go with the subframe bushings if you increase springs. Doing that now so I'll let you know the diff. Stiff springs and soft bushings are not good apparently. Doing the LSD at the same time, looking forward to that.

Fraggy, talk to Harold and get some swifts.... the guy has so much experience - he can help you with this. People rave about those. He also has a full range of stuff... I would go there - and keep your kidneys.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
I got Dinan Stage 3 - not sure what the rates are ... but I had to give them one of my Kidneys for them...

I had to go full soft on the shocks because I was getting a bit car sick with the lack of give. Now it is ok, but it is firm still...

I was told to go with the subframe bushings if you increase springs. Doing that now so I'll let you know the diff. Stiff springs and soft bushings are not good apparently. Doing the LSD at the same time, looking forward to that.

Fraggy, talk to Harold and get some swifts.... the guy has so much experience - he can help you with this. People rave about those. He also has a full range of stuff... I would go there - and keep your kidneys.
IMO Dinan products are a big waste of money. The tunes are great, but the other parts are just overpriced and bad value.
If the Stage 3 was just springs and shocks then I'm pretty sure a set of H&R Sport springs paired with Koni Yellows or FSD would handle much better.
I had the BMW Performance suspension and I am not that pleased with it, hence why I went with the PSS9.
Appreciate 0