E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Changing Springs - Purchase Strut Top Hats?

02-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

Changing Springs - Purchase Strut Top Hats?

This next week I'll be putting on some new springs/shocks on my XI ("i" sport springs + bilsteins). I only have 19k on my car, but I'm thinking that instead of taking apart the stock suspension, it might be easy (and perhaps necessary) to buy new strut top hats so that I could simply pull the old suspension out, and pop the new suspension in.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or what would you recommend as the easiest solution?

Where would be the best place to look for these top hats? Tischer?
      02-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
ninesixtwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

You'll likely need a spring compressor to assemble the new strut anyway. Removing the old hats probably doesn't take much time. Heck I've zipped the top nut off a strut with an impact wrench before. Not that I would recommend that without knowing how compressed the spring is.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninesixtwo View Post
You'll likely need a spring compressor to assemble the new strut anyway. Removing the old hats probably doesn't take much time. Heck I've zipped the top nut off a strut with an impact wrench before. Not that I would recommend that without knowing how compressed the spring is.
Ya, I've done that same thing --- just trying to make it quick/painless.