E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Warranty cover

02-23-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk2 TT V6 quattro

Warranty cover

Anyone here recommend anyone in particular for a 5 year old 320d:

Only done 53k but ideally I need cover to deal with the potential problems of:

DTC failure
Blown Turbo
TPMS failure
EGR Themostat failure
Clutch failure

Quotes so far seem to be between £500-£600 for a year using main dealer services. Can you take cover with BMW direct or does it have to continue straight after the last warranty ran out. Had a AUC warranty till last September.

Also based on anyone's experience do you always get a courtesy car to keep you mobile?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

I think you can buy the BMW warranty (which is still an insurance warranty, just one they front) at any time, with age/mileage limits on some levels of cover...

Mine is in today under the BMW "Gold" warranty and no there is no courtesy car unless you wait until they have one available in their next available slot as for a service - I had a struggle to get them to take it today as well, in the end like last time I just asked for it to be booked in as a breakdown and dump it with them as soon as possible in the hope they get on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

With the BMW warranty you can get a courtesy car when you break down, provided you include the BMW Assistance, but a courtesy car during the repair is down to the dealer.

The one thing in your list you won't get cover for is the clutch, unless it isn't a 'wear and tear' failure - but no warranty will cover that.

I think concensus on the site is that the BMW Insurance Warranty is about the best out there, but it does tie you to BMW servicing.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Does is tie you to their servicing? I saw statements to the effect that as long as it had been serviced in accordance with their requirements and with parts/fluids of the approved specs, it was fine.

Mine has only had one service so far and bizarrely the previous owner took an 18 month old 330 to an indie. That did not affect the subsequent warranty repair it needed, or me buying the BMW warranty, or the claim I'm making today, or indeed stop BMW from paying half of my last coil failure when the car was not covered. No-one has mentioned the fact the car has only ever been in a BMW dealer for breakdowns, not servicing.

People need to push back on this because the law is very clear that as long as a car has been serviced in accordance with the recommendations, it does not matter who did it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF_E90 View Post

People need to push back on this because the law is very clear that as long as a car has been serviced in accordance with the recommendations, it does not matter who did it.
Thats true as far as I know, as long as genuine BMW parts were used then it will have no affect on the warranty and BMW can't refuse warranty claims on that basis.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

that is true of Standard warranty 3yr 60,000 miles. But the extended warranty is an insurance premium which means they can stipulate whatever they like eg. main dealer services only and exemptions from certain items which would ordinarily be covered in the standard warranty...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine has FSH with Dealers so will try and also contact BMW directly to see what they offer.

They did send me a letter last year when the AUC finsihed but I probably chucked it at the time.

Will try and find out a number later.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

The AA offer a good cheap warranty deal if taken with their full breakdown cover. Covers something like 5 claims a year up to £500 per claim. The RAC also do something similar I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF_E90 View Post
Does is tie you to their servicing? I saw statements to the effect that as long as it had been serviced in accordance with their requirements and with parts/fluids of the approved specs, it was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
Thats true as far as I know, as long as genuine BMW parts were used then it will have no affect on the warranty and BMW can't refuse warranty claims on that basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
that is true of Standard warranty 3yr 60,000 miles. But the extended warranty is an insurance premium which means they can stipulate whatever they like eg. main dealer services only and exemptions from certain items which would ordinarily be covered in the standard warranty...
Interesting comments. My understanding was exactly the same as E902717 says BUT the extended AUC warranty I just took out on the X3 says (spoke to them directly) that the car MUST be serviced by BMW so backing up with Phil says.

Put me in a bit of a spin to be honest as I'm now not only paying a premium for the AUC warranty (whereas cheaper are available) but also paying a premium for servicings (whereas an Indy would do fine) on a 5yr old motor. Was tempted to cancel it but thought it looked good come resale...
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks like you are right - I just went through the paperwork, and it says they "may" decline a claim if the car has not been serviced by BMW - elsewhere in the same booklet it talks about recovery costs and there says they may decline a claim if the vehicle "has not been serviced in accordance with BMW's specifications" so different parts of the cover seem to have different requirements.

Which leaves me in an interesting predicament, as the first and only service mine has ever had was not with BMW. And it is due an oil change soon, for which I was not going to use BMW.

The whole thing really fecks me off as manufacturers must know that who did a basic service has no bearing on anything - I imagine the service mine had was little more than an oil change. They should also not have let me buy the warranty if they are not going to honour it - the online system did go away and make some checks before quoting me.

As I say though, it doesn't seem to have affected today's claim, but might it in future if I choose to go with an indie? If BMW were not such total ripoff merchants I might be more keen to use them but the £150 cost to replace a single coil pack despite them paying 50% of labour and 80% or parts really shocked me! And there was £30 in there for a "road test" that since the vehicle is live tracked (I sell commercial vehicle tracking for a living) I can see never happened...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BMW gave me the cheapest quote @ £466 pa or £43 monthly (pay as you go too btw). That is for comprehensive cover with roadside assist.

Apparently you are only guaranteed a courtesy car if yours goes in under the Emergency Service extra via recovery to the nearest dealer sort of thing. Mine would only be 'assist' which means they can take it to the nearest one if more than half a mile from home but I won't automatically get a courtesy car as such. Sorting one out is between you and the dealer at the end of the day. Can live with that tbh.

Anyhow have to call back later as they want the EXACT millage which obviously I don't know of the top of my head. D'oh.

Last edited by Tippo; 02-23-2011 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0