E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Swift / Bilstein

02-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
kai-wun
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic EP3

Swift / Bilstein

Hi All,

Newbie here. Currently driving a "sport compact" FWD econobox and thinking about my next car, and the "ultimate driving machine" comes to mind

The car will be a daily and also weekend track car.

I understand, after tires/alignment - of course, the damper/spring setup is the next thing to upgrade.

Car in question will most likely be 07+ 328i sedan.

I value handling/performance over comfort, so I would like to go with linear springs (Swift have great reviews) and I understand Bilstein dampers are works of art I personally dont care for adjustability of either ride height or rebound/compression. Just give me the best setup and I'll stick with it.

Do any of you run a barless setup?

Yeah - no anti-sway/roll bars front or rear. Does that sound crazy?

For a strictly competition car, it's not _that_ crazy. After all - our beloved BMWs are FR cars. Fronts are responsible for stopping/turning, rears are responsible for power. So let's make her a truly independent setup.

Anti-sway bars are a compromise at best. They trade in grip for comfort. They are basically "helper" springs, making the rear/front end stiffer without upping the actual spring rate.

Here's an example (from my community):

on swaybars
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=656400

on barless setup
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=657092

Now, have anyone actually calculated the required spring rate (to order from Swift) in order to achieve this setup with the e90?

Would bilstein custom valve the damper in accordance with that spring rate?

Cheers! Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0