E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Groaning rubbing noise over larger bumps. Just looking for opinions.

02-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
snkeyez95
Private
Rep
Drives:

Groaning rubbing noise over larger bumps. Just looking for opinions.

I am looking for anyone’s thoughts/opinions for a suspension diagnosis. Picked up my e90 335i cpo about 6 months ago and I've noticed some bizarre noises going over large bumps.

Any larger bumps in the road, speed bumps, driveway curbs, or just larger dips in road where I get a good amount of compression from the front suspension I hear a noise. The noise almost sounds like a plastic air dam that is scraping against the ground. I looked under the car to see if there was something hanging down and there is not. It is very audible now that we have warm enough weather here in Chicago that I have my windows open.

I do not know how else to describe the noise other than a groaning rubbing noise. Is there any obvious culprits of this noise I am hearing (ie - blown shock, bushings, etc)?

I will certainly be bring it in for service to have it diagnosed. Just curious what you all thought.
      02-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Maybe it's exactly what it sounds like? A low hanging plastic part.

It could be the shocks compressing...

Look at the front of the car and look for scrape marks. If the plastic is hitting concrete it'll be obvious.

Shocks could be worn. I don't get a lot of compression on mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
teamadobo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive

Sounds like exactly what I experienced. Swaybar bushings were replaced on mine and so far so good.

This thread shows many who has the same issue
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472749

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
snkeyez95
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamadobo View Post
Sounds like exactly what I experienced. Swaybar bushings were replaced on mine and so far so good.

This thread shows many who has the same issue
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472749

Hope this helps
Thanks for the link. Seems to be a similar issue I'm having. Stealership here I come.