E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Anybody using the procede V5 for racing?

02-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Anybody using the procede V5 for racing?

I am interested in getting the Procede V5 with the latest updates.
I was wondering if anybody has used it successfully on a racetrack.
Any CEL issues or heat issues?
Thanks,guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Centex Hokie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

I'm not racing, but

I will be using Procede V5 on a Performance Driving Event this weekend. Temperatures are supposed to be in the 70's, so I'll post here about any temperature issues. I have the BMW sport package with the factory oil cooler only. Maybe someone else can give you some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep

Thanks!
I guess not!So it is not a race proven,reliable under extreme condition product?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I have used the Procede for about 14 track days in the past 2 years. The power delivery is the best thing about it. Also auto-tuning means it is much safer on track if you're not race prepped. It gives me peace of mind that the procede is doing it's job and protecting my engine under sustained loads. But it also means that you should not run your typical max street power on track. Track and aggressive street driving are 2 separate conditions.

For example, with my mods, I can easily run Map2 15psi, but on track I run 13.5psi at most. If it's your first time on track, I suggest setting the default boost to 10% and 11psi max. You will not be able to use that power. Rather, focus on learning the lines and being smooth.

At 11psi, I pass beginners driving Z06, GT3, 911 Turbos, Ferraris, etc. At that level of experience a 100hp Miata in the hands of an instructor WILL also pass you.

So whats the point of using the procede if youre a beginner on track? In short, Procede shines on track due to it's predictable power directly mapped to the position of your foot, and auto tuning is a huge comfort for those concerned about the reliability of your car.

A little plug and respect for other tunes: I have never seen a JB on track here in NorCal, but GIAC seems to be an excellent tune (Mr 5 and Harold runs it). But their cars are also heavily/nicely modded (I'm jealous) with sufficient cooling and/or meth to handle a constant level of boost under sustained loads.

If you don't have an upgraded oil cooler or meth injection (for cooler intake temps not power) then I think Procede's auto tuning is the safest tune for non race prepped/custom tuned cars on track. Makes perfect sense that cars on street and track run differently and should be tuned accordingly, right? The Procede's auto tuning function will do that for you under changing conditions. Man, can't tell ya how much I love it and the peace of mind it brings.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension

Last edited by orionredwing; 02-17-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep

Thanks for your input;I fall in the category of an agressive street driver!
My concern though is the LA heat that is coming not in the too distant future!
Will my factory oil cooler keep things under 260 degrees to prevent the tapering of the boost induced by higher oil temps?e
The reason why I am posting here is simple!If the V5 can handle racetrack conditions it can also handle Socal's summer heat without a drastic
and noticeable drop in performance!Also I don't want to drive my car outside of the turbos' efficency range!
Thanks again,guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
No, on the track, the factory oil cooler will not keep things under 260deg. I hit 285F all the time in 70deg weather, and have to take it easy for a bit to cool things down.

I'm ordering an oil cooler upgrade this week for track use.

I'm in CA too, and in 100 deg weather in summer, the car does bog down big time. That's due more to intake temps, not oil temps.

It never hurts to upgrade your oil cooler for reliability, but for street use, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're hitting 280F temps on the street under sustained pulls in 100 deg weather, then it's time to upgrade the oil cooler. But I think that puts you into the realm of 'reckless' driving imo.

Stay safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unic66 View Post
Will my factory oil cooler keep things under 260 degrees to prevent the tapering of the boost induced by higher oil temps?
It's not the tune that allows you to 'handle' heat. Insufficient cooling is an inherent weakness of the car. So the statement below is incorrect. Rather, V5 tapers boost to protect your car. If you don't care about heat, you're welcome to run another tune that keeps boost consistent regardless how hot your car is running. But it sounds like you do care, so the PROcede would be the tune for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unic66 View Post
The reason why I am posting here is simple!If the V5 can handle racetrack conditions it can also handle Socal's summer heat without a drastic and noticeable drop in performance!

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension

Last edited by orionredwing; 02-17-2011 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep

After getting feedback from Iat sensor crank position sensor as well as numerous other sensors including the oil temps sensor,the Dme and The procede calculate the appropriate amount of boost, AFR and timing!
Also, the stock turbos act like a heat multiplier past a certain Psi thereby
causing heat soak because they are running outside their efficency range!
You can add all the extra fueling,intercoolers,oil coolers and meth that you want but the car will still bog down,because it is like putting a bandaid on a
huge wound!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

I have run procede on the track for a couple years and the v5 autotune is the only one to run without any limp modes. I start at around 14 psi and after a few laps it auto-dials down boost as heat builds up so by the end of the run I was back down to around 10-11 psi or so with temps around 260-270. This is not running 100% all the time though..... you have to take it easy for a little while every now and then or temp will go through the roof. On anything other than the autotune maps I had to basically turn the procede off on track days or it would hit limp mode every other lap.

Last edited by SpiralOut; 02-18-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
Centex Hokie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

No problem on track day with Procede 5

I didn't have any problem with the Procede 5 on my track day. Temperature was 77 degrees and the oil temperature with the Sport oil cooler stayed at 250 degrees with 14 psi of boost. A couple of 335i's without tune had problems with overheating. I know at least one didn't have any oil cooler according to the owner.

I'm a rookie so my limit was the nut behind the wheel. I was able to improve from 2:40 per lap down to 2:09 for the 2.9 mile track, but I am sure that more experienced folks could keep on the power through more of the course.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
they have a couple abandoned roads the navy built down here in the keys that we race, they use cones to slow the straight aways a bit and to keep the speed down. Today the Temp was 74 degrees, my cars start temp was about 180 (kept it off when i was in line) and at the end it was 270ish. the run was only 1:45 seconds. I never see it get that hot on the streets, I have heard people talk about it before and i paid no mind, but after this I'm going to invest in some cooling. I ran my proceed at 16psi, thought about bumping it down when the tires where getting hot and started slipping a bit out of a few turns. The road we were on gave no room for error, Ocean on the left and mangroves on the right. Just in daily driving, my JB would throw limp modes at random it seemed, more so when i pushed it. Procede is so solid, no issues and delivery is smooth, solid, and feels limitless sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

One of the reasons to get the BMW perf kit: cooling.
Really curious to see how the 335is fares on the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I think once I get my Meth kit in, and catless downpipes to get the heat out, it will help. Adding another, small oil cooler just doesn't seem like it would do much on a short 2 min run like I do, I was really shocked to see it spike like that, especially on a relative cool 75 degree day...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
A little plug and respect for other tunes: I have never seen a JB on track here in NorCal, but GIAC seems to be an excellent tune (Mr 5 and Harold runs it). But their cars are also heavily/nicely modded (I'm jealous) with sufficient cooling and/or meth to handle a constant level of boost under sustained loads.
I completely agree with what you write in your post.

However, if you're a bit more serious about going to a real race track, you can't really drive it with a stock car due to the N54 being prone to heat issues. Additional oil cooler, intercooler and also catless downpipes should be one of the things to have, except from all obvious brake and suspension mods. And even with all that, the 335i is certainly no ideal race car, but one can have loads of fun with it, which is what we're all looking for.

I like driving with my GIAC tune for the same reasons you appreciate the PROcede (which I haven't driven yet), the predictability and driveability of it which is so much more important when you're pushing the car towards its limits (or the driver...). And it's real fun to overtake those M3s on the straights...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Not really better than the 335i without the "s". The little water cooler doesn't make much difference when you're racing the car, as some have found out. Oil cooler and intercooler make much more of a difference.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I completely agree with what you write in your post.

However, if you're a bit more serious about going to a real race track, you can't really drive it with a stock car due to the N54 being prone to heat issues. Additional oil cooler, intercooler and also catless downpipes should be one of the things to have, except from all obvious brake and suspension mods. And even with all that, the 335i is certainly no ideal race car, but one can have loads of fun with it, which is what we're all looking for.

I like driving with my GIAC tune for the same reasons you appreciate the PROcede (which I haven't driven yet), the predictability and driveability of it which is so much more important when you're pushing the car towards its limits (or the driver...). And it's real fun to overtake those M3s on the straights...
Not really better than the 335i without the "s". The little water cooler doesn't make much difference when you're racing the car, as some have found out. Oil cooler and intercooler make much more of a difference.

Alpina_B3_Lux
I don't track my car!Before choosing the GIAC stage1 for the increased fun factor,I wanted to see if Procede is also race proven without issues!
I realize that the 335I is not a dedicated track car,however that doesn't mean that it is not an ideal,fun to drive,daily driver!
I am also coming to the conclusion that I made the right decision for my daily driving pleasure!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Earlier versions of the Procede were used on e92's in the Bathurst 12hr. They did have some restrictions on boost levels and the cars were obviously well prepped but they still did well over 12hrs of racing.

I've tracked my car a couple of times, most recently last week. No limp modes etc but I did lower to boost to 12psi max.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #16
stan_betz
Rep
Drives: Black colour, 5.2metres long

e92's still give good performance .... my friend has one
Appreciate 0