BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > M-Flight

EXXEL Distributions

02-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
I'm really SAD

I know the title is a bit gay but really I am... I just got off the phone with Mathias from PCS and he got the deal I wanted. Well, $100 more lol.... I'm getting rid of my '09 e92 M3... Mat said even Hans was there and said to convince me to get an M, lol.... I'm not hard to convince at all, just don't have that much money lol.... I have an X5 35d on order but I'm debating to upgrade to the M version. I really want the M but I have time to think about it. I need a hug... Reason is I didn't really want to get rid of it but I have a kid on the way. I ordered the X5 35d back in August when my wife wasn't pregnant yet then we came back from Hawaii in November and boom there it is. I still want to cruise with the M Flight though.... Does anybody else have an X5/6M in M Flight?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

first of all, i would suggest you wait until after the baby is born and see how you do with your current car. you really don't need a huge SUV to haul around one child. especially in europe. imagine trying to park that monster in a city. After you get used to the new addition and the m3 doesn't seem adequate then start looking at options. (I would personally recommend a lightly used 09+ E90 M3 sedan)

if you don't think you can afford a $90K M truck along with prodigious amount of fuel and high insurance (X5 is one of the most stolen vehicles in germany) then I think you should forget it. the dealer would of course want you to buy the most expensive car possible. have to keep in mind kids are very expensive and they keep getting more expensive as they grow.

good luck with your decision and congratulations on the baby.
      02-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
first of all, i would suggest you wait until after the baby is born and see how you do with your current car. you really don't need a huge SUV to haul around one child. especially in europe. imagine trying to park that monster in a city. After you get used to the new addition and the m3 doesn't seem adequate then start looking at options. (I would personally recommend a lightly used 09+ E90 M3 sedan)

if you don't think you can afford a $90K M truck along with prodigious amount of fuel and high insurance (X5 is one of the most stolen vehicles in germany) then I think you should forget it. the dealer would of course want you to buy the most expensive car possible. have to keep in mind kids are very expensive and they keep getting more expensive as they grow.

good luck with your decision and congratulations on the baby.
^ This.

Why not the E90? Or a M3 and a "family" car?

I have two kids and bit the bullet for a minivan as my wife wanted one. It is not as flashy the X5, but it gets great gas mileage (for a non-diesel), is relatively cheap to insure, and has a larger and more useable amount of interior space to pretty much any SUV.Given the cost of our Sienna Limited and my E93, we would be at a wash the cost of an X5M alone. The E90 would be cheaper than the E93, making the math even better.

Yeah, I know, "minivan". Truth be told there is a lot of bang for the buck there. We likely head back to the US in a little over a year and when I offered to get my wife an X3 or X5 as a replacement for her Sienna, she deferred to just getting another Sienna Limited. I told her to consider all models of the X5, as well. She feels that she will trade the flash for the higher content in the van. Back in the US, the X5 would be a waste anyway....

Granted the X5M will be one of the fastest things out there for moving the family around, but I could not get over the purchase price and overall cost of ownership (maintenance in Europe, fuel, and insurance). I'd rather "humble' myself to a loaded out Sienna for kid duty and put the other $55K I would save on the X5M or the $20K I would I save on the X5 Premium and put in the market.

Just my two cents.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I can attest to the E90's ability to haul a family around. I did it all the time. I don't think you'll be too horribly bad off trying to park an X5M, my landlord has an X5 and doesn't have any problems, but the mileage will make you cry. I thought my M3 was bad. An X5M is much, much worse.

I agree with selling the E92 simply because getting a car seat in and out of a coupe sucks. It's very doable, I did it when my first was born, but I wouldn't recommend it if you can just as easily do the sedan.

My $.02
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
X5 Minent
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M E70 - Melbourne Red

But...to play the devil's advocate here.

The X5M/X6M are the fastest SUVs in the world. If you like going fast (is it safe to assume that my fellow ///M folks do?) and you want to combine speed with utility, then the X5M is very well suited for your purposes and desires. Of course so is a used 09/10 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, which you can find with under 10K miles for about $45k. That might be a better option for you, and the aftermarket possibilities are way cheaper!
1964 Ford Thunderbird Landau- 429 Thunderjet - Triple Jet Black on White - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

What the hell is going on with people just DROPPPING there vehicles after finding out about babies. HUGE SPACE in the e92 m3 for one and dont let anyone change your mind on your DREAM, a kid is important but I doubt the kid is making the decision....

..remind the wife there is a two part decision here.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 Minent View Post
But...to play the devil's advocate here.

The X5M/X6M are the fastest SUVs in the world. If you like going fast (is it safe to assume that my fellow ///M folks do?) and you want to combine speed with utility, then the X5M is very well suited for your purposes and desires. Of course so is a used 09/10 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, which you can find with under 10K miles for about $45k. That might be a better option for you, and the aftermarket possibilities are way cheaper!
Sooooooo not worth it for the obscene amount of money BMW wants for one. He'd be better off in an M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
What the hell is going on with people just DROPPPING there vehicles after finding out about babies. HUGE SPACE in the e92 m3 for one and dont let anyone change your mind on your DREAM, a kid is important but I doubt the kid is making the decision....

..remind the wife there is a two part decision here.
Agreed. I got by just fine in cars MUCH smaller than an M3 with both of my kids.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
X5 Minent
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M E70 - Melbourne Red

[QUOTE=quality_sound;9142203]Sooooooo not worth it for the obscene amount of money BMW wants for one. He'd be better off in an M5.

My X5M was priced about $7k more than an M5. X5Ms are faster than M5s, they have a lot of room and they are less common. Seems totally worth it to me.

At the end of the day, we're all talking M cars, so whatever he ends up with will be great. M cars may not be the fastest cars out there, but I think they are the best blend of performance, looks and comfort.
1964 Ford Thunderbird Landau- 429 Thunderjet - Triple Jet Black on White - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
^ This.

Why not the E90? Or a M3 and a "family" car?

I have two kids and bit the bullet for a minivan as my wife wanted one. It is not as flashy the X5, but it gets great gas mileage (for a non-diesel), is relatively cheap to insure, and has a larger and more useable amount of interior space to pretty much any SUV.Given the cost of our Sienna Limited and my E93, we would be at a wash the cost of an X5M alone. The E90 would be cheaper than the E93, making the math even better.

Yeah, I know, "minivan". Truth be told there is a lot of bang for the buck there. We likely head back to the US in a little over a year and when I offered to get my wife an X3 or X5 as a replacement for her Sienna, she deferred to just getting another Sienna Limited. I told her to consider all models of the X5, as well. She feels that she will trade the flash for the higher content in the van. Back in the US, the X5 would be a waste anyway....

Granted the X5M will be one of the fastest things out there for moving the family around, but I could not get over the purchase price and overall cost of ownership (maintenance in Europe, fuel, and insurance). I'd rather "humble' myself to a loaded out Sienna for kid duty and put the other $55K I would save on the X5M or the $20K I would I save on the X5 Premium and put in the market.

Just my two cents.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
Talking

Well, everyone have different opinions on different things My philosophy is live my life now and enjoy as much as I can and not after retirement. Then at the end, I don't want to be that guy that says, "I should've done that." Well too late bud', you got about 2 years left lol... Now that sucks doesn't it? Reason behind that is because of my job being outside the wires most of the time and not knowing when it's my turn. This is my 5th deployment after all, so why not right? LOL... Anyway, I plan on using this so called SAV more than just hauling my family around... I know it says SAV but I'm planning on putting a tow hitch to tow my chopper when it's in need of TLC... Maybe a boat and maybe your ride or my race car I'm planning on getting someday... All in one...
Appreciate 0