E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Better than seafoam treatment???

02-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
Question Better than seafoam treatment???

http://www.bmwtoronto.ca/special-off...injector-flush
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

I used a bottle of this, http://www.fastwrx.com/moencl.html

Motul Engine Cleaner on my car and there was a slight noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
Question

Where can you buy this thing in Canada (preferably Ottawa, ON)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
Where can you buy this thing in Canada (preferably Ottawa, ON)?
Not sure but I bought mine from Speedstar in Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
only1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z06, 09 e90335i

bmw durham is now offering a walnut valve cleaning treatment. this is supposed to have a connection to the manifold via a vacuum and suck walnuts through it to circulate and clean the valves.....maybe inquire about this, it's said to remove a lot of carbon deposits.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

my understanding is that the only real way to get carbon deposits off is by hand...scrubbing.

I've done some research, and people who have opened it up said that using seafoam or whatever might take the top layer off...but won't touch the hard caked up deposits. You need mechanical intervention,
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
Wink

Wow, it's a blessing in disguise since I rarely drive my car in a stop and go traffic.
I did the seafoam back in November last year. I noticed improvements. However, I don't drive my car that often so only time can tell if the carbon built up is there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
my understanding is that the only real way to get carbon deposits off is by hand...scrubbing.

I've done some research, and people who have opened it up said that using seafoam or whatever might take the top layer off...but won't touch the hard caked up deposits. You need mechanical intervention,
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post

This is an oil additive, it has nothing to do with cleaning injectors and valves, it does not even come in contact with your injectors or valves.

To clean valves you need seafoam, the walnut threatment, take it appart and hand scrub them or use some other cleaner that is injected via pressure / vacuum line.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1 View Post
bmw durham is now offering a walnut valve cleaning treatment. this is supposed to have a connection to the manifold via a vacuum and suck walnuts through it to circulate and clean the valves.....maybe inquire about this, it's said to remove a lot of carbon deposits.
I've been waiting to get this done...although I've always used tier 1 fuel. Now to see if I can get this special in Waterloo.
      02-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluZero View Post
I've been waiting to get this done...although I've always used tier 1 fuel. Now to see if I can get this special in Waterloo.
Hmmm...I'm going to have to gather some more information and get this figured out. Each time I speak with BMW, my understanding changes...

1st - the SA told me about injector cleaning, as a possible solution to power loss. Described it a lot like the walnut cleaning: some chemicals added to the tank, and direct cleaning of the injectors/fuel rail - $150

2nd - when I went to book the service above, was told by another SA that no such direct injector cleaning was available. I didn't have time to pursue the issue that day.

3rd - call again about the $120 special - want to know what it actually includes: told (i think by SA #2) that is does not include "direct injector cleaning", but that is available at extra costs parts & labour because it requires the removal of some parts and replacement of gaskets. When asked: " so the price (normally $150) only involves pouring a litre of chemicals into my fuel tank ?" that seems outrageous even for BMW - the SA decided that it also included a compression test that can detect "injector leaks" , but no code reading.

And from what I've read, you really want to change your oil shortly after using injector cleaning or seaform..but BMW has not mentioned this so far either.

I think I need to contact a different shop and compare answers.
      02-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

To paraphrase 2kaccordocoupe, no fuel (Tier 1 or not), fuel additive, oil, or oil additive ever comes in contact with the top facing parts of intake valves in a direct injected engine. The fuel goes directly into the combustion chambers by-passing the intake valves. Only air goes pass those valves, much like in a diesel engine. You can't clean the top facing parts of your intake valves by using them. (Sorry to Shell V Power or similar Tier 1 fuel users who think the fuels they use are keeping the intake valves in their direct injected engines clean like in the pictures.) You either need something that goes into the intake air stream, or have to take apart the engine to clean the valves by scrubbing.

The deposit that appears on the top side of the valves comes from the PCV system. It is from fumes sucked in from the crankcase by the PCV, burnt off on top of the hot valves. The only way to prevent it is by maintaining your PCV system and don't let your rings wear out (if you somehow can).

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels

Last edited by halB; 02-27-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0