E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > best way to lower the car?

02-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
NJ330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Electric Red 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW  [9.50]
best way to lower the car?

Hi, I have an 06 330i e90 with sport suspension and 19 inch rims.

I want to lower it, but I dont want it to rub or feel crappy when im driving,
whats the best way to go?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

I would recommend that you check out the KONI FSD shocks with Eibach Pro-kit springs combo for your 2006 BMW E90 330i. Original equipment on Lamborghini Gallardos KONI FSD (frequency selective dampers) are a must for fine tuning your BMW's ride, and handling capability. KONI FSD adjusts damping automatically, so there is no need to manually adjust the shock absorber. These shocks replace OEM shocks and actively controls stiffness, and dramatically improves handling. Pair these shocks up with some Eibach Pro Lowering Springs which provide a slightly more aggressive and raked stance than your stock suspension while still maintaining a comfortable ride. On average Eibach Pro Lowering Springs will lower your vehicle 1.2 inches in the front and 1 inch in the rear, providing for a lower center of gravity and improved handling. Pro Springs feature more control than that of the OEM springs, but are still comfortable for daily use. Eibach Pro Springs are an excellent choice for both street and occasional track use! I'll go ahead and shoot you over a PM with more details!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
NJ330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW  [9.50]
Bump!! Anyone?
      02-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Small Block LSX
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Looks like your question was already answered.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
kw v1
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
NJ330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Block LSX View Post
Looks like your question was already answered.
Yes he did!!
But he's trying to sell me a product
I want to hear from people that already did this
Thanks
      02-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend, how much you want to lower the car, and how much comfort you care to sacrifice for better handling. There's so many options out there, but here's some of the most popular...

Eibach Pro Kit and Koni FSD
- most comfortable
- not much lower than sport suspension
- too expensive for what you get

H&R Sport and Koni Yellow
- most popular
- still comfortable
- pretty low drop but won't rub unless you have M3 offset
- adjustable damper settings
- decent price

Eibach and H&R also make tuned spring and shock options, such as Eibach Pro or Sport System and H&R Cup Kits.

There's also so many coilover options out there, and since you live in Jersey, if you went that route, you'd have to get stainless steel to avoid corrosion. Coilovers are always stiffer than springs and shocks, but it gives you height adjustability and/or damper adjustability. Some comfortable coilover options are Eibach Pro Street S and KW Variant 1, and they're both INOX stainless steel.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a friend with a E92 and his car has eibach pro kit with oem shocks. He doesn't like the ride quality because it is very stiff and it bounces alot. But as he like the lower stance, so now he wants to upgrade to a coilover.
Will the koni FSD be more comfortable with Eibach than the oem shocks?
      02-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Yes, of course... Upgrading the shocks is a must whenever you lower the car. Even though Eibach Pro Kit works with stock shocks, that doesn't mean it will ride smooth.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Pairing up an aftermarket spring with OEM shocks is VERY common and for most people is okay especially if you're on a budget. However, there are many adverse consequences of doing so over time. The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on.

Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality. I always recommend that my customers pair up an aftermarket spring with an aftermarket shock.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $600-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more money doing it right the first time around and going with an aftermarket shock/spring combo or with a coilover system. Again, it really depends on what your budget is on the project and what you're looking to do with the car!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Small Block LSX
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ330i View Post
Yes he did!!
Thanks
Maybe so.

However, site sponsors are typically the best people to speak with in regards to products and specific informaton. Someone who is selling you a product will also have your best interest in mind as they want to make sure you are a satisfied customer.

Since you wanted feedback from "people" and not someone that has most likely sold thousands of setups to people I will certainly chime in. Every vehicle that I have ever lowered was dropped using a combination of spring, shock, strut, etc. Lower the vehicle right with a spring and shock. If you just use a spring you may get the look you want, but the ride will suffer and your handling may not even be improved. It's the overall combination of quality parts that will best suit your needs.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
teleopti
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Sport

BMW Performance if you're car is a DD. OEM has no headaches. That's a big thing for me
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
NJ330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW  [9.50]
Thanks thats a very good point about the sponsor, didn't think of it that way.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ330i View Post
Yes he did!!
Thanks
Maybe so.

However, site sponsors are typically the best people to speak with in regards to products and specific informaton. Someone who is selling you a product will also have your best interest in mind as they want to make sure you are a satisfied customer.

Since you wanted feedback from "people" and not someone that has most likely sold thousands of setups to people I will certainly chime in. Every vehicle that I have ever lowered was dropped using a combination of spring, shock, strut, etc. Lower the vehicle right with a spring and shock. If you just use a spring you may get the look you want, but the ride will suffer and your handling may not even be improved. It's the overall combination of quality parts that will best suit your needs.

Good luck!
      02-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
NJ330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Pairing up an aftermarket spring with OEM shocks is VERY common and for most people is okay especially if you're on a budget. However, there are many adverse consequences of doing so over time. The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on.

Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality. I always recommend that my customers pair up an aftermarket spring with an aftermarket shock.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $600-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more money doing it right the first time around and going with an aftermarket shock/spring combo or with a coilover system. Again, it really depends on what your budget is on the project and what you're looking to do with the car!
Thanks again.
I'm really not debating the cost
I'm just debating between two products the HR touring cup kit and the koni fsd with eibachs.
I think the hr looks better but I'm hearing that the konis offer a better ride than hr.
That's my only concern right know. As you say I like to do things right the first time.
Thanks to all for your input
      02-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Having gone through quite a bit using different setjps, I wish I would have just done coils from the start.

Here's why IMO

- you can adjust the ride height exactly as you want it. IMO h&r has too much rake and is too low, and eibach is too high. Coils = perfect.
-the ride quality with my st v1 is excellent, smooth as stock sport if not smoother and handles better
-this setup was made to work together, unlike the koni/h&r or eibach/h&r

my advice would be to do it right the first time
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

So the Koni FSD and Eibach combo doesn't fit the E90 335 zsp does it?

Because on the site, it specifically said 'will not work on 335i', I just wanted to confirm.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #17
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

After reading reviews of Prokit i found a bit odd his complaining. So i asked him for the springs box to make sure what is the type of springs. So his car has the H&R low version springs (front 2.36"/60mm and rear 1.57"/40mm). No wonder he is complaining such a stiff and bouncy ride...

Is there any good feedback of the eibach coilover? It seems to have the best price from all the top companies.
      02-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #18
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So the Koni FSD and Eibach combo doesn't fit the E90 335 zsp does it?

Because on the site, it specifically said 'will not work on 335i', I just wanted to confirm.

TIA
Your correct as the KONI FSD w/ Eibach pro kit does not work with the 335i applications. It's meant specifically for the 325/328/330 applications.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #19
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
get coilovers. you will not regret it. the car will handle like crap on just springs, and if you disagree, ride in a car with coilovers. do it right or do it twice.

Quote:
Maybe so.

thats bs. i hate talking to vendors because at the end of the day they just want a sale. i hate being bothered with stupid generated responses too.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #20
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
After reading reviews of Prokit i found a bit odd his complaining. So i asked him for the springs box to make sure what is the type of springs. So his car has the H&R low version springs (front 2.36"/60mm and rear 1.57"/40mm). No wonder he is complaining such a stiff and bouncy ride...

Is there any good feedback of the eibach coilover? It seems to have the best price from all the top companies.
I'm looking at Eibach coilovers too... Great price, supposedly great for the street, stainless steel, shocks manufactured by KW, etc.

I'll prob end up getting them, because they're not much more than springs and shocks.
Appreciate 0