E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Struts...or coilovers or...?

02-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
330iLiiike
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Struts...or coilovers or...?

Hi All,

I was rcently told by a shop in oc ca,after requesting an alignment on my 2006 e90, that my struts were "weak" and needed to be replaced before i aligned my car...

They wanted over $2k for the repair! I decided to do some independent research...so here I am.

If the struts are bad do I relace with new struts...or coilovers ...or what? I just do normal driving, nothing too agressive. My car has the sport package so Im not sure if this changes things

Id like some advice on how I should go about this if anyone is willing to give me their opinion.

thx
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I don't think anyone has ever asked this question before.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

you could just get new struts if it be koni yellows, bmw performance, bmw sport shocks, if you want to go for a upgrade and lower your car coilovers work too.

your cheapest will probly be getting new bmw sport shocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iLiiike View Post
Hi All,

I was rcently told by a shop in oc ca,after requesting an alignment on my 2006 e90, that my struts were "weak" and needed to be replaced before i aligned my car...

They wanted over $2k for the repair!
I decided to do some independent research...so here I am.
Wait, they wanted 2k for shocks?.. You can go aftermarket (which are arguably better than stock) and pay half the price lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

This may be the perfect time for you to upgrade to a coilover system. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

Seeing how you're located in California, I would recommend that you check out the ST V1 system by KW suspension. This is a great system if you're on a budget and costs just a little bit more than an aftermarket shock. Coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. to further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection. I'll go ahead and shoot you over a PM with more details!
Appreciate 0