E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What engine oil to use?

02-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

What engine oil to use?

My i drive today displayed that the engine oil is minimum , I dont know what engine oil to put in and where would I get it?

I am not sure if it is easy to do it myslef

BTW - its a 2007 328xi
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

if you live close to a dealer, take your car there and they will/should top it off for you. Seems like you should still be under the maintenance (unless your mileage is high).

In any case, if they refuse to top it off, they will likely try to sell you a bottle of oil and you know it is the correct oil and if you asked, they should help you and show you how to add oil to your car. GL.
      02-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah ma car is out of warranty now and has close to 58k miles on it ...not sure if they still would do it for free...else how much would they charge

was looking at Midas website and looks like they do it for 19.99 ....not sure if its a good idea....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
You should use a BMW LL-01 approved oil of the correct viscosity per the link below.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx
I second the above!

Mobil1 0-40 LL-01 is very good but very expensive at $8/qt regular price. I have it in my car right now and i like it because the engine seems to rev a bit less at idle (it could be my imagination since this is the first time I used Mobil1 0-40 LL-01). I bought the oil on sales for $3.99/qts several months back.
      02-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep

if I were to get it done outside(like MIDAS) can I choose my oil and will that cost me extra?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do you know of a store where I can pick up the oil myself and make sure they use it....not sure how much quantity of oil would be needed as well..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
Go to Autozone and purchase 8 quarts (7 for the oil change and 1 to keep for topping off when necessary) of either:

Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula (this one is my personal choice)

Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro Formula (good luck finding this oil!)

I prefer to purchase either Mahle or Mann filters, since they are the OEM supplier, but I do not know if Autozone carries those brands. I usually order my filters from either ECS Tuning or Tischer BMW.

When you get these items, take them to Midas and watch them change your oil, in order to ensure they use the oil and filter you brought. Of course, changing the oil is very easy to do, so you could try doing it yourself. That's what I have always done and will continue to do, since I love wrenching on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
jcamber
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

or order it from the link below and when you receive it, either change it yourself or have a reputable shop do it for you.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep

are these the filter ? whcih one to choose?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper9009 View Post

no, that is fuel filter. I believe you are looking for oil filter.
      02-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

No, those are aftermarket fuel filters. You need something like this:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
No, those are aftermarket fuel filters. You need something like this:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Thanks .....about to order that ....I was wondering if I can drive my car for a while , as I order this online....got the message on my I drive last night...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

My dealer does the oil change for $99

Figuring 7qt of oil runs about $50
Filter roughly $10

Letting the dealer do the work, rest the computer and wash my car for an additional $39 over my cost seems like a good deal. Sometimes it just isn't worth doing at home.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #14
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I'm sorry to do this, but it is just a pet peeve of mine. What do they teach in driver's ed these days, how to put a condom on your winkie in case you get a girl in the back seat? Don't they still go over basic car care?

Between the owner's manual, and looking at the engine, you can't figure out how to add oil to your car? I mean for God's sake there is a label right in the engine compartment when you open the hood staring you in the face that tells you by part number what oil to get. The owner's manual recommends you use BMW oil and says go to the BMW website for the latest information regarding what types of oil to use.

I just don't understand how a person can drive around in an apparatus (that their life depends on) and not just understand a modicum of just basic information on how to maintain it.

And then you guys get into where to buy oil and filters for an oil change, when the OP can't even add a quart of oil to his car.

Sorry just had to rant...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I'm sorry to do this, but it is just a pet peeve of mine. What do they teach in driver's ed these days, how to put a condom on your winkie in case you get a girl in the back seat? Don't they still go over basic car care?

Between the owner's manual, and looking at the engine, you can't figure out how to add oil to your car? I mean for God's sake there is a label right in the engine compartment when you open the hood staring you in the face that tells you by part number what oil to get. The owner's manual recommends you use BMW oil and says go to the BMW website for the latest information regarding what types of oil to use.

I just don't understand how a person can drive around in an apparatus (that their life depends on) and not just understand a modicum of just basic information on how to maintain it.

And then you guys get into where to buy oil and filters for an oil change, when the OP can't even add a quart of oil to his car.

It is disconcerning or it's just laziness. In the past you had to actually read your users manual now people just ask online while at work and check back later.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post

I agree with entity, but in a nice way. . If you dont know where the oil goes and dont know the difference between a fuel and oil filter then you should take it to the dealer which may be a little pricey or find a local mechanic who works on bmws.

Stay away from jiffy lube and midas. You get what you pay for.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 02-09-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright now I see a message on my Idrive saying service is due...I am not sure what needs to be done and how much it will cost at a dealership along with the oil change (called one dealer who is doing oil change for $80)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
A dealer should not be allowed to release a car to a purchaser until they sit down and read the OM for two hours and then pass a quiz on basics like instrument symbols, tire pressures, oil required, how to shift into neutral, shut off the engine and press on the brake pedal, etc.
+1. 100 years ago when horses were the main form of transportation, anyone who rode a horse knew how to take care of it; it should be the same for cars in the modern day.

OP, I'll be nice this time. Please just read the manual. It will tell you alot about your car and how to maintain it. Just read. Really, it is that simple. It is not rocket science. Learn to be self suffcient.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Alright now I see a message on my Idrive saying service is due...I am not sure what needs to be done and how much it will cost at a dealership along with the oil change (called one dealer who is doing oil change for $80)
$80 is a great price for oil change from dealer and since you seems to fit the bill of someone who does not like to wrench his/her car, just pay the $80.
      02-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
787dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi - 6MT

You might just have the dealer do it like many have already said.

There are some good write ups on how to change your oil. Here is one....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4768

It's fairly easy...the hardest thing is trying to lift your car up since it's so low to the ground. Lots of people like low profile rhino ramps.

Like people have mentioned...7qt's of oil & you can get a filter for about $10 online (Mann..ect). www.bavauto.com or other mentioned sites work great.

Follow BMW's recommendations on oil.

I've put Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 out of convenience...also it's priced cheaper if you get it in the 5 qt. container. Autozone has it for $29 & I've found it at Walmart for about $25.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #21
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 787dream View Post
You might just have the dealer do it like many have already said.

There are some good write ups on how to change your oil. Here is one....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4768

It's fairly easy...the hardest thing is trying to lift your car up since it's so low to the ground. Lots of people like low profile rhino ramps.

Like people have mentioned...7qt's of oil & you can get a filter for about $10 online (Mann..ect). www.bavauto.com or other mentioned sites work great.

Follow BMW's recommendations on oil.

I've put Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 out of convenience...also it's priced cheaper if you get it in the 5 qt. container. Autozone has it for $29 & I've found it at Walmart for about $25.
Good luck
Unless that Synpower you're using is the "MST" variety (which is impossible, since it is only sold in bulk and 55 gal drums), it isn't LL-01 rated and isn't correct for your engine. Perhaps you already know this and don't care, but I thought I'd let you know in case you didn't.

See here for more details on the oil you're using, as well as the MST type that should be used:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf
Appreciate 0