E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Stories While Driving In The Snow

02-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Stories While Driving In The Snow

This should be an interesting topic.

Was coming home from bowling tonight with my club. Got to Ridgegate and all hell broke loose. I don't know what was worse, the white out conditions or the stupid people driving all over the damn highway in front of me. I managed to pass the group and go it alone in front of them. Helped a lot considering how heavy it was coming down.

I can't tell you how many people I saw tonight hitting their brakes for no friggin reason though. In my experience, its better to be steady and in control instead of doubting your speed and hitting the brakes to slow down.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
airshane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Which is precisely why I hate to be behind people in this mess. You have no idea what they're going to try and do.

When I was in flight school my instructor always told me that whatever you do, remain calm, don't panic. If you panic you'll stall the aircraft which will likely spell the end of you. You're better off just going even if you can't see what's ahead because at least you're flying the airplane.

I think it loosely applies to a car. I hate the people that are on and off the brakes. They're usually the ones who hit the brake and go swirling into the ditch. I've seen it happen before. And, at least with our cars we can downshift and use the engine to slow down the car, exercising a little more control over the situation.
      02-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Yea, people cant drive for shit. Period. But in the snow its even worse. Just let off the gas, no brakes needed because you shouldnt be going fast enough to need them bad anyway. Smooth and steady but everyone just knee jerks and thats what causes the problems.

I only had 1 incident so far. Last year it was super windy and a nice layer of ice on the road and a little blowing snow. I hit the rail road tracks near my house at about 15-20, just going slow and it was enough with the wind to spin me around. Did a 360 and saved it perfect and got it straight.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
airshane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
Did a 360 and saved it perfect and got it straight.
So really it only cost you a new pair of underwear and leather seat cleaning.
      02-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
In my E36 (with performance winters), got on the highway at Flatirons Parkway (when I lived in Superior and worked in DTC) and Boulder Turnpike during a snowy day...got on the highway and did a 180....ended up looking back the way I came with a bunch of cars coming at me.

Somehow they managed to all stop until i turned around....immediately got off the next exit and went home and called it a snow day (and to clean out my drawers). Thought for sure I was a goner.

Then when I got my E34 and lived in SE Aurora (hilly area), while others were getting stuck, I was going around helping some get home...they were all amazed my RWD Bimmer was helping them out of the snow, lol!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshane View Post
So really it only cost you a new pair of underwear and leather seat cleaning.
Pretty much, thankfully the direction I was going the road widens a ton and its kind of an intersection almost so I had plenty of room. Needless to say it was a 5mph trip back home
Appreciate 0