E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > did alignment today - now i've got negative camber and toe-in on the rear wheels

02-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

did alignment today - now i've got negative camber and toe-in on the rear wheels

kinda long story short,

was driving to the dealership to do dinan reflash, my car spined 180 degrees on the snow covered road and hit the passenger side of the tires on the curb, mostly on the rear tire, with the second (and much weaker) bound on the front wheel as well.

ended up, naturally, doing the alignment. the dealer said, no damage done, other than having to do the alignment. Dinan S2 also done as well.

still trying to get the whole thing behind, i looked at the wheels carefully and noticed that the rear wheels now have negative camber (looking from behind at the tire level), and when looking directly from above, it appears to have some toe-in as well.

is it normal for 335i (with sports package) to have both negative camber and toe-in on the rear wheels? or did the dealer arbituraly gave me some aggressive settings on the rear tires, since i got the Dinan done?

it could just be that i never noticed those setting before. i dunno.

i don't mind those aggressive settings as long as it's properly done. and i assume it did since it just came back from the dealership. but i'm curious.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
you should have asked for the alignment numbers. They usually give you what they set everything to in degrees.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
you should have asked for the alignment numbers. They usually give you what they set everything to in degrees.
called the dealer but my SA is out today. will have to wait 'till monday.

can anybody else chime in?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata

Toe In at rear is normal and provides stability at speed. Negative camber at rear is also typical of BMW alignment specs. But the key question is "how much" of both... It is unlikely the dealer tech set the alignment outside OEM specs but would be worth speaking with tech who ran the alignment while it's still fresh in his memory and he will be able to tell you how aggressive (within BMW spec) he set up the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Normal and you cant check toe by looking at it since the body is not straight looking down or down the side.