E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > PAD & ROTOR Replacement Criteria

02-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

PAD & ROTOR Replacement Criteria

Heading to the dealership on Monday for my final sub 50k warranty covered service.

My question is: At what % of pad life is required to meet the free pad & rotor replacement?? I have 12% life left per the BT.
335i - so looking for S. Plugs, Brake Fluid Change, HPFP Recall Program and new wipers & the rotor and pad replacement if I qualify.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

The wear sensor will tell you if the brakes are low (you'll have a brake light on the dash) and the car will tell you when you need new plugs.

In my experience they don't do any work unless the car is asking for something. The BMW free maint program for me ended up being an annual oil change (every 18k miles) and a few air filters along the way. Since everything is rated as a "lifetime" fluid or rated for 100k miles of service...

I didn't need brakes until 60k miles, so I ended up eating that cost. Tires wore out at 60K, my DMTL pump and headlight died at 65K shortly after. Can't really complain since every car would need these things, but I walked away feeling the maint program was pretty bogus.

Maybe your experience will be different.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbet01 View Post
[...] but I walked away feeling the maint program was pretty bogus.
I think it's bogus too...but... you didn't even get an Inspection I? Coolant flush -- isn't that at 3 years? Brake fluid?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

There's a wear sensor attached to the pads. If the sensor is not triggered they will not likely replace the pads unless you can actually show that pads elsewhere on the axle are below minimum (IF I recall. The factory pads are 11-13mm thick depending on front or rear, and the sensor is suppose to trigger when it's down to ~3mm thick). Technically, even if the sensor, which is only attached to one of the 4 pads, was not triggered, the MINIMUM operating thickness is still the determining factor although most dealership will just tell you to bring the car back when the light triggers.

There's also a minimum thickness standard for rotors (yes they do wear down over time) and it's typically 1-1.2 mm below the original thickness. Rotors will only be replaced when they reach that minimum spec.

If you are planning on doing ANY performance oriented driving, any time the pads go below 30% of original size they should be replaced, since the thermal capacity of the pads to resist fade also decreases.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
I think it's bogus too...but... you didn't even get an Inspection I? Coolant flush -- isn't that at 3 years? Brake fluid?
I put at least 3k a month on the car with my commute, so yeah I'm sure they did the inspection, but rarely will newer vehicles need anything. No need for a coolant flush or brake fluid, I was about 50k miles when the car was less than 18 months old! Lol. I put miles on so fast and the BMW didnt require any maintanence during that time. They may have replaced the coolant or brake fluid, but it wasn't necessary. I don't remember. Overall I'm satisfied with it so far.

Car may have a lot of highway miles but everything is like new. Runs like a champ. I'm replacing all the fluids and maybe plugs now at 70k so it stays that way.
Appreciate 0