E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW Yellow Springs w/ Old Perf Susp Kit?!

02-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

BMW Yellow Springs w/ Old Perf Susp Kit?!

So I'm about to pull the trigger and get a set of Eibach pro-kit springs to go along with my bmw perf susp kit (old one on sale from tischer w/out the springs), but I'm thinking maybe I should purchase the BMW yellow springs instead? I've done a search and found the threads on this topic but they were only discussing the differences between the kits, prices, and other random blurbs.

So my question is, should I shell out the money for the yellow springs? Would they pair correctly with the kit? One of the reasons I'm considering this option is because I'm going to be running 10" rears (Morr) and don't want to go 'too low.' Any insight would be extremely helpful, thanks guys!
      02-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Tischer has previously said that (according to BMW) the old kit is not meant to be paired with the yellow performance springs. OTOH, there are members on the board who have paired the yellow springs with the old kit, and have been pleased with the outcome.

It might be worthwhile to look through some of those threads you mentioned, and pm a couple of members who have paired the old kit with the yellow springs. At least that way you'll have some real world input from actual owners/users/buyers as you decide what you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

Thanks for the input, I'll do that. Just didn't want to bug too many people with PM's but I'll start snooping around. Maybe they'll come in here and share their experience with me.
      02-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Overall I like the Perf yellow springs with the old Perf Dampers, but at the same time I feel the rear is under damped. Maybe this is why Tisher says that BMW states that they are not meant to be together.

Id be curious if the new Performance Dampers have different part numbers from the original ones. If so, the new ones might have more damping force. The old kit was meant to be used with the stock zsp springs which have lower spring rates.

I bought right during the transition time from the old kit to the new so no real knowledge was available yet.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Id be curious if the new Performance Dampers have different part numbers from the original ones. If so, the new ones might have more damping force. The old kit was meant to be used with the stock zsp springs which have lower spring rates.
Fraggy, I think you hit the nail on the head: since BMW doesn't recommend the yellow springs for the 'old' performance dampers, but the 'new' dampers are supposed to pair with the yellow springs, the only reasonable inference to make is that the 'old' and 'new' dampers are indeed different. Or - BMW is trying to avoid having the consumer save significant $$ by steering us to the new kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

[QUOTE=Fraggy;8829953]Overall I like the Perf yellow springs with the old Perf Dampers, but at the same time I feel the rear is under damped. Maybe this is why Tisher says that BMW states that they are not meant to be together.

Do you remember which rear yellow's you got? My rears are T4 and I do not think they feel under dampened. Just wondering if the T4's have less spring rate than say the T5's?

My roads could also be better here also...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Do you remember which rear yellow's you got? My rears are T4 and I do not think they feel under dampened. Just wondering if the T4's have less spring rate than say the T5's?

My roads could also be better here also
If I remember correctly I have T4 all around but for sure T4 in the rear.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0