E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need advice on which car to buy... Please help!

02-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5i

Need advice on which car to buy... Please help!

Here is the dilemma, I have ordered a 330d Convertible but there is a little voice in my head that is having second thoughts about it...

I will try to explain why... First of all, I am currently driving a 2005 Z4 2.5i and I really love to drive it hard. I did some test drives with all current 3 Series models/engines and although they are great cars, I did not really like any of them, I suspect that it's caused by the too disconnected/luxury feeling that they have.

Normally when I order a new car I am really excited about it and looking forward to it, unfortunately I do not have this feeling this time, so I am suspecting that something must be wrong (although I do not really now what it is)...

The reason why I am looking to change cars is because I would welcome two addition seats, and the Z4 has some minor issue that do bug me every day that I drive it, and ofcourse what's not to like about getting a new toy...

In addition I had some pretty nice cars in the past (fuly loaded E46 330Cic, fuly loaded E60 525d,...). All of them where like dream cars to get for me, while now, getting a 330d Convertible seems to be more of a rational discision than previously (when I was really buying a dream car, not matter what it would cost).

So I am thinking about canceling my order and ordering a new Z4M or even a 630i or M6 Convertible, although the 6'es are too expensive in my opinion (price/contents wise & although I earn really well, I am not rich whatsoever).

So my question is, what would you do if you were in my position? Any thoughs are more than welcome!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Casey 5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i,SPG,ZSP,ZPP,Step

M6 convertible is mucho $$$$...if you are not rich "whatsoever" I would not get an M6.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Plan B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 997S / 2007 CaymanS

the M6 is a totally different league...if you can afford it, why are you even wondering?

When buying a car...one should lust for it...seems like you're just luke warm about your order...in which case, I would suggest that you just cancel it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Get what ever makes you happy and don't lose sleep over your decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

consider the 335i or M3

i was in the same position as you just 4 or 5 months ago. considering a wide variety of cars including the 335i, the m5, the m6, the mercedes CLS 550 or CLS 63 AMG. and just like you i didn't want to have that detached, i can't feel the road / feels-like-i'm-riding-on-a-cloud type of feel on my car.

and just like you too, i feel like the 6er's aren't enough car for the money. my advice to you is this:

strongly consider the 335i or be patient and pick up the M3. both will have that more visceral, tactile feel you're looking for. both with 4 seats. and both packing a tremendous amount of bang for the buck (especially when measured against the 6 series).

personally, i was too indecisive. I decided on BOTH. i bought the 335i, and i'll be getting rid of it to pick up the new m3 when it comes out.

well wishes on the shopping. keep us up to date.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 5 View Post
M6 convertible is mucho $$$$...if you are not rich "whatsoever" I would not get an M6.
I am thinking exactly the same thing, but I feel like there is nothing else currently out there that will put a big smile on my face everytime I would drive it...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Get what ever makes you happy and don't lose sleep over your decision.
That would be the M6 but that might make me loose my sleep over every monthly payment...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
the M6 is a totally different league...if you can afford it, why are you even wondering?

When buying a car...one should lust for it...seems like you're just luke warm about your order...in which case, I would suggest that you just cancel it.
I am making enough money to buy it, but I just find it a wast of money to pay so much for a car, while on the other hand I could use the money that I save with a normal car to buy a house in the near future which will cost me a lot as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
i was in the same position as you just 4 or 5 months ago. considering a wide variety of cars including the 335i, the m5, the m6, the mercedes CLS 550 or CLS 63 AMG. and just like you i didn't want to have that detached, i can't feel the road / feels-like-i'm-riding-on-a-cloud type of feel on my car.

and just like you too, i feel like the 6er's aren't enough car for the money. my advice to you is this:

strongly consider the 335i or be patient and pick up the M3. both will have that more visceral, tactile feel you're looking for. both with 4 seats. and both packing a tremendous amount of bang for the buck (especially when measured against the 6 series).

personally, i was too indecisive. I decided on BOTH. i bought the 335i, and i'll be getting rid of it to pick up the new m3 when it comes out.

well wishes on the shopping. keep us up to date.
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

I have been thinking about the new M3 Convertible as well, but I am getting way too impatient to wait for it. Currently I am almost driving my Z4 for 2 years now (1 more month to go) which is the longest time that I have kept a car in my life, I really feel like I need a change but I have no idea what to get, I guess we all suffer from luxury issues?!?

btw, I really love how you handled your indecisive feeling, but wouldn't that mean that you will take a big hit on your 335i when replacing it with the new M? wouldn't it be smarter then to get an M6 in the first place, which at the end might cost just a fraction more?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanDC View Post
The reason why I am looking to change cars is because I would welcome two addition seats, and the Z4 has some minor issue that do bug me every day that I drive it, and ofcourse what's not to like about getting a new toy...
You would just "welcome two additional seats", or do you actually need them?

If you don't need them then I'd say forget both the 3 series and 6 series and get a Z4 M or a Cayman/Boxster.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You would just "welcome two additional seats", or do you actually need them?

If you don't need them then I'd say forget both the 3 series and 6 series and get a Z4 M or a Cayman/Boxster.
My girlfriend has a big dog and we live in an appartment, so being able to take the dog along would be a big plus.

The Z4M would be my personal choice as well but then I would have to live again with the only one passenger option allowed, and it seems kind of stupid to get rid of an almost payed off Z4 to be replace by a new expensive lease for several years, then why not keep my current Z4?

The Boxster is a great car as well but again a compromise, plus if I would switch to Porsche I would definately get a Carrera which is so much nicer (especially the dash with 5 dials) but as with the 6 Series too expensive for what you get.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanDC View Post
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
btw, I really love how you handled your indecisive feeling, but wouldn't that mean that you will take a big hit on your 335i when replacing it with the new M? wouldn't it be smarter then to get an M6 in the first place, which at the end might cost just a fraction more?

johan,

to respond to your two points:

1) the m6 coupe is a 110k+ car (out the door), if you're considering the m6 convertible count on paying more. so on a cost effectiveness basis, it would not have been smarter to pick up the m6 because it would cost a LOT more than "just a fraction more" than the 40-55k bmw 335i coupe or the 55-70k M3. (the "fraction more" idea really comes into play when choosing between the m5 or the m6 coupe, which only have a 10k price differential)

2) i will definitely be taking a hit on the car, but its a cost i'm willing to incur. i figure i'll lose approximately 8-10k in the first year of the 335i (maybe a bit more), considerably less than i'd be paying if i were to have opted into a 1-YEAR lease. unfortunately, i don't have the patience for a 3 year lease (which would of course save me a nice chunk of money on a monthly basis)... when we'll all be seeing M3's all over the road in about a year. so for me a purchase was the way of losing the LEAST money, knowing full well that i'd be losing a decent amount of money no matter how i cut it.

more than ever before, it's quite possible that the margin of dominance of the M3 over the top of the line 3series won't be as convincing as in the past. as a result of the way i chose to approach things, i'll get to directly compare the two before deciding definitively whether i'll pick up the M3. and no matter which car i choose to go with... i'll have been sitting in the car from its very first year of release... and that makes me feel good !

hope this helps

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 06:08 AM   #13
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
so on a cost effectiveness basis, it would not have been smarter to pick up the m6 because it would cost a LOT more than "just a fraction more" than the 40-55k bmw 335i coupe or the 55-70k M3.
Getting a 335i Convertible (fully loaded) will cost 65000 EUR overhere, getting rid of it after just one year will mean that I will take a hit of 20000 EUR on the car, not to mention the fee for ending the lease sooner than expected (probably 4000 EUR) and the initial tax for getting the car on the road (which will be 5000 EUR), so that would make a total of almost 30000 EUR that I will loose after only one year. I also suspect that a fully loaded M3 Convertible will come down to 80000 EUR, so add the 30000 EUR to it and you will pay 110000 EUR in total while a fully loaded M6 Convertible will cost 125000 overhere, that's why it would only cost a fraction more in my eyes...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

How about a 335d or 335i convert? This will be more fun to drive than the convert you are looking at now. Get the M-Sport so you have the tighest suspension. I think you would be happy with either of those.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #15
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
How about a 335d or 335i convert? This will be more fun to drive than the convert you are looking at now. Get the M-Sport so you have the tighest suspension. I think you would be happy with either of those.
I have currently ordered a 330d Convertible as the fuel economy will be a nice addition as well, 0-100 however it will be a little slower than my Z4 and one of the requirements that I have set for getting a new car is that it would be faster, so I guess I will have to change my order to a 335i Convertible as there will be no 335d Convertible offered.

The bigest problem with getting this car is that I test drove the 335i Coupe already and I did not really like it because it feels like you are too disconnected from the road (maybe I am biased by my current ride), I am afraid that I would miss my Z4 too much I guess. In addition I still have problems getting used to the new 3 Series interior, to me it feels too cold and hars, I still feel like the E46 interior was a lot nicer and softer, I was expecting that the new one would grow on me over time but it is just getting more worse...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Test drove a 630i Convertible today and I was very impressed with it. Drove awesome no disconnected feel at all and still a lot of comfort while being sporty at the same time.

Only downside will be the price of it and that the car was build for fat people as the seats were way to big for me (I could slide from the left to the right side in it).

Will test drive the 335i Convertible as well next month (when it will be released) but for the moment it will be 630i all the way. I can get the 335i Convertible delivered in August but will go for the 630i if I like it more, the only downside then will be that I have to wait even longer to get it as the 6 Series will get a facelift & updated engines in September.

btw, the 630i had enough power for me but I did miss the kick in the butt when pushing it (although it was fast), so I hope that the updated engine will resolve this or even a 635i would be even nicer...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #17
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

if you like your z4 2.5i i really dont think u can go wrong with a z4m..i say get the z4m
      02-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #18
JohanDC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
if you like your z4 2.5i i really dont think u can go wrong with a z4m..i say get the z4m
Yeah I know, but only having two seats is very impractical, and on top of that, I really love the looks of the Z4M but do not like it price difference over a Z4 3.0i which is less than a second slower 0-100km/h, for myself I cannot justify the addition price increase of almost 20 000 EUR just to get the M version, and I also like to get something new/different and getting a new Z4 will not give me that feeling.

btw, I do appreciate your advise though!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #19
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
m6 is the s**t, but a z4m is the wise choice if you want a sports car, do not buy the 3er vert - it's for cruising, not sports