E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Dirty Brakes

02-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Dirty Brakes

2010 BMW 335d w/ Sports Package, LCI.

When I first got it I thought our high performance brakes would dust a lot but surprisingly they dont. If I'm not mistaken, pre-lci cars do dust a lot.

I was happy with little dust and clean rims but lately my rims are getting very dirty but not like a dust. In the winter I've been washing the car and its been sitting in the garage for a few days before being driven. Is this dirt on it residue left on the rotors after drying that is getting scraped off as I'm driving since it sat it built up?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
Cali335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

wash the car take a pic, and then another pic of what u mean by its getting dirty sitting in the garage
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
2010 BMW 335d w/ Sports Package, LCI.

When I first got it I thought our high performance brakes would dust a lot but surprisingly they dont. If I'm not mistaken, pre-lci cars do dust a lot.

I was happy with little dust and clean rims but lately my rims are getting very dirty but not like a dust. In the winter I've been washing the car and its been sitting in the garage for a few days before being driven. Is this dirt on it residue left on the rotors after drying that is getting scraped off as I'm driving since it sat it built up?

Thanks,
What do you mean by high performance brakes? As far as I know the brakes that come on a car equipped with the Sports Package are not any different than the brakes that came on my car which does not have the Sports Package.

I noticed the brake dust more when I had my OEM wheels then I do with my aftermarket wheels. Not only was there more wheel surface area to catch dust, but I believe that the wheel surface/finish on my OEM wheels had more texture so dirt just tended to stick more easily.

It's possible there is some left-over build-up depositing on your wheels, but I would think if you used a good non acidic wheel cleaner and thoroughly sprayed your wheels down that most of the build-up would be washed away.

I have always found that keeping my wheels routinly waxed is a good way to mitigate brake dust build-up. If you have not waxed your wheels and as your wheels age the finish tends to become ever-so slightly etched and which tends to hold more dirt. Try washing your wheels next time using a good wheel cleaner, towel dry then apply a coat of good wax.
Appreciate 0