E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335D Suspension Mods

02-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
surebet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

335D Suspension Mods

Looking to lower my E90 335D with coilover, but couldn't find anything specific for "D". Do the 335D have the same suspension as 335I? Any input would be appreciated .
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Yes I verified part numbers with Evan at Tischer. What will work for the 335i will work for the d.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
batesy
Rep
Drives: 85 545i turbo, 01 325ia

exactly the same suspension. only different maybe spring rate but doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by batesy View Post
exactly the same suspension. only different maybe spring rate but doubtful.
Same part numbers so spring rates are the same. Only difference being that the rear springs on the d the last digit of the part number is off by one number and Tischer did not know what that difference meant. e90 spring rates are only affected by the type of options selected for the car. Everything being equal between an i and d the suspensions components are the same with the exception of the last digit on the rear springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Thank you for that info, cssnms. I had been wondering if the spring rates in the front might be slightly different owing to the weight of the diesel block (I had expected it to weigh more), but this really makes things much more straightforward. I already own the 'old' performance suspension kit, just have to determine which set of springs to mate up with it. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
surebet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

H&R offers a sport spring specific to the 335d so we can source that for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
I thought the fronts on the 335d were stiffer to accommodate the heavier engine? Or is that for the 535d? I remember hearing that somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
I thought the fronts on the 335d were stiffer to accommodate the heavier engine? Or is that for the 535d? I remember hearing that somewhere.
See post above. Front springs and the rest of the suspension bits (front and rear) share the same part numbers with the i assuming all of the options on both cars are the same. The only difference being, the rear spring part number is off by 1 digit.

The d is a couple hundred pounds heavier, but not sure if all or most of the extra weight is coming from the engine. I would venture to guess that although the engine is likely heavier, the balance is made up between the d's exhaust system and rear differential, which leads me to believe that the extra weight is spread out pretty evenly. Again this is just a guess, I contacted BMW NA and they could not tell me how much the d's engine weighs by comparison with the i, but instead referred me to a dealer, as if they would know.

Last edited by cssnms; 02-02-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Thank you for that info, cssnms. I had been wondering if the spring rates in the front might be slightly different owing to the weight of the diesel block (I had expected it to weigh more), but this really makes things much more straightforward. I already own the 'old' performance suspension kit, just have to determine which set of springs to mate up with it. Thanks again!
You are welcome. I've been doing a little homework over the last couple of weeks to try and figure all of this out, since I am looking to buy new springs and shocks. The manufacturer of the springs that I am looking at did not specify a fitment for the d, only the i, so it begged the question; what's the difference?

I initially bought the lowering perches from Supreme, but came to the realization that by themselves they just won't lower the car to my liking. So I sent them back and plan to pick up the Eibach Pro Kit springs and I am likely going to pair them with the Koni FSD's.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
You are welcome. I've been doing a little homework over the last couple of weeks to try and figure all of this out, since I am looking to buy new springs and shocks. The manufacturer of the springs that I am looking at did not specify a fitment for the d, only the i, so it begged the question; what's the difference?

I initially bought the lowering perches from Supreme, but came to the realization that by themselves they just won't lower the car to my liking. So I sent them back and plan to pick up the Eibach Pro Kit springs and I am likely going to pair them with the Koni FSD's.
PLEASE start up a thread with your 'before and after' photos once you've got the install done! I'd love to see it and I'm sure there are plenty of D disciples that will enjoy it too.

I've read lots of favorable things about the Eibach Pro Kit springs w/FSD's, so it sounds like you've got a very nice combo coming. Does your car have the sport suspension? I have the sport, and would be curious to see how your new setup compares. Good luck, and please update us when you're done.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PLEASE start up a thread with your 'before and after' photos once you've got the install done! I'd love to see it and I'm sure there are plenty of D disciples that will enjoy it too.

I've read lots of favorable things about the Eibach Pro Kit springs w/FSD's, so it sounds like you've got a very nice combo coming. Does your car have the sport suspension? I have the sport, and would be curious to see how your new setup compares. Good luck, and please update us when you're done.
I will definitely do that, if for any other reason to help out other owners, because finding good current information/reviews on this set up was a little painful and there was almost 0 info related to the d.

I hope this set-up works, can't imagine it could be any worse then my OEM suspension. I don't have the sports pack, just the base OEM suspension, if you can imagine what that's like. Will keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
surebet
Enlisted Member
Rep

According to H&R website, the part numbers of the springs are different between "d" and "i". But cup kit will work for both. ummmm, that's confusing

335i Sedan E90 2007-up* Sport Spring # 50490-4
Sport Cup Kit #31054-2

335d Sedan E90 2008-up* Sport Spring # 29187-5
Sport Cup Kit #31054-2
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surebet View Post
According to H&R website, the part numbers of the springs are different between "d" and "i". But cup kit will work for both. ummmm, that's confusing

335i Sedan E90 2007-up* Sport Spring # 50490-4
Sport Cup Kit #31054-2

335d Sedan E90 2008-up* Sport Spring # 29187-5
Sport Cup Kit #31054-2
That part numbers that are really relevant are the BMW factory part numbers, not the number an aftermarket spring manufacturer assigns to their own parts. That said, it would be interesting to know what H&R did differently for the d vs the i to warrant a different part number. Call them and ask.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
surebet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That part numbers that are really relevant are the BMW factory part numbers, not the number an aftermarket spring manufacturer assigns to their own parts. That said, it would be interesting to know what H&R did differently for the d vs the i to warrant a different part number. Call them and ask.

OK, will give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #16
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OK, will give them a call.
If you don't mind, please share what they say with us. Should be interesting!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Looking to lower my E90 335D with coilover, but couldn't find anything specific for "D". Do the 335D have the same suspension as 335I? Any input would be appreciated .
Depends on your budget. If you are after a custom coilover kit(damping and height adjustments with user select spring rates), the choices are AST and TCK, off of the shelf kits are your everyday Bilstein, KW's and etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
surebet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

OK, just spoke to Robert@H&R, he confirmed that the spring rate on both set of springs they offer for the "d" and "i" are the same. So, everything that works for the "i" will also works for the "d", including cup kit and coilover.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
OK, just spoke to Robert@H&R, he confirmed that the spring rate on both set of springs they offer for the "d" and "i" are the same. So, everything that works for the "i" will also works for the "d", including cup kit and coilover.
We know there is no suspension differences between the i and the D, but we are assuming the diesels carries slightly more weight over the front axle(can someone confirm?) then the its diesel counterpart.

If anyone has a diesel and would like us to throw it on a corner balance scales send us a PM or email.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
We know there is no suspension differences between the i and the D, but we are assuming the diesels carries slightly more weight over the front axle(can someone confirm?) then the its diesel counterpart.

If anyone has a diesel and would like us to throw it on a corner balance scales send us a PM or email.
Harold, stressdoc and others () have been wondering if it might be possible for Swift to offer replacement springs for our cars - since you're the supplier of Swift for coilovers, do you think it's a possibility?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Harold, stressdoc and others () have been wondering if it might be possible for Swift to offer replacement springs for our cars - since you're the supplier of Swift for coilovers, do you think it's a possibility?
Are you talking about a Swift sport lowering spring kit? If that is what you are asking, that is in the R&D, but I have no release date at this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #22
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Hi Harold,
What a number of folks are interested in are springs made by Swift, that would be an alternative to OEM or BMW Performance (yellow) springs and could be used with BMW Performance dampers, Koni Yellows etc.

Not necessarily a lowering kit, although I guess with the thinner diameter and hence greater range of travel a Swift spring would have to be a bit shorter unless the perch could be adjusted.
Appreciate 0