BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
N55 Power
Private First Class
Tajikstan
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

AR Design and ICarbon

I really dont know where to start on this one.
It has been such a wacky experience that its just really hard to explain.

Let me just tell you my story from the beginning and you be the judge.

I ordered a AR Design n55 downpipe from AR Design on the 5th of December. The reason why i chose them over Icarbon in the first Place i have no idea. Dealing with AR was a pain and let me tell you right now that Andrew is not the kind of guy who should be running a business. I fell sorry for anyone who has to go through the ordeal of having business with andrew.

Let me show you the kind of hoops i had to jump through just to communicate with AR Design.

I emailed AR Design 3 times and he replied once

I PM'd AR design 2 times and he didn't even reply once

I Posted on his thread 3 times and he didnt address my concerns once

And heres the kicker: I called him a whopping 27 times and he answered me only 3 of those times!

I have to admit he did upgrade me and others to overnight. But listen to this. I took my car apart installing this thing when i notice this very frustrating fact: He had forgot to put in the second o2 bung!! After all this he did not even take the time to check ONCE that the Downpipe was correctly made and even when i call him about that he doesnt admit that my car even needs the second bung and tells me to jury rig it!! Youve got to be kidding me.

I tried everything too return my useless dp from AR design but he would never return any of my calls I sent him after getting the dp. The way i see it his attitude is that once he gets your money and sends you whatever pipe he whips up that its your problem. I was forced to ship the thing back on MY DIME and get a credit card charge-back. Real professional.

I got such a bad taste in my mouth after this that i just called it quits on the mods, however that did not last long

I got the icarbon dp and it is much higher quality for a better price. I installed it today and im really impressed.

Overall the icarbon is better than Ar. Better welds,The tubing is mandrel bent and not cut to bend like Ar.

Fitment was good but needs improvement: 2nd bung should be farther away from the mount by maybe a quarter of an inch and the mounts need better alignment but thats it. The dp sounds amazing and the turbo whistle is almost as loud as a tuned diesel truck.

The thing that most impressed me about icarbon and hpautowerkes is that they followed a very important business rule: Underpromise and overdeliver.

I called hpautowerkes and they said my my pipe would ship out friday or monday but to my surprise it ARRIVED monday! Underpromising and overdelivering unlike AR Design who, as everyone knows said the pipes would ship out in 2-3 weeks from order when in fact they shiped out 3-4 weeks late. So closer to 5-7 weeks to get your pipe.

Bottom Line: IMO AR really isnt a nice place to do business with. His products are overrated.Hes focusing on looking good and not being good. He is too busy getting tape and boxes that have his logo on it. Icarbon and HPautowerkes on the other hand are good and i wish them both well.

Ill probably post up a video of the Icarbon and AA axelback combo that im running as there may be differences than the AR, seeing as people are only posting up videos of the AR dp.

Heres a pic for whatever reason:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Yep, the iCarbon pipes are freakin impressive! Welds are perfect..looking at my set right now! going on my car next weekend!!! Sorry to hear your experience with AR
      02-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
N55 Power
Private First Class
Tajikstan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Yep, the iCarbon pipes are freakin impressive! Welds are perfect..looking at my set right now! going on my car next weekend!!! Sorry to hear your experience with AR
I agree, the Icarbon dp is seriously underrated.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Can't wait to hear the N55 DP with the AA exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
N55 Power
Private First Class
Tajikstan
Rep

Ill try and get a video today.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
very nice, iCarbon and HPAutowerks to the rescue
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
The right section is the vendor feedback section, but I'm sure the mod's will move it. Anyways this is the second negative feedback on AR I've read in weeks. Doesn't seem like them so I hope they get their act together.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
N55 Power
Private First Class
Tajikstan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
The right section is the vendor feedback section, but I'm sure the mod's will move it. Anyways this is the second negative feedback on AR I've read in weeks. Doesn't seem like them so I hope they get their act together.
The only reason i posted here is because im uploading a vid probably today, but i dont really care were it is or if the mods move it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
They just moved shops very recently, so I am betting that the last couple weeks have slowed things down for them a bit.
Appreciate 0