E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Hyrdo Unit DSC problem: Repair Kit or Full Replacement?

02-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

Hyrdo Unit DSC problem: Repair Kit or Full Replacement?

I drive an e92 335i.

I have been experiencing a chronic CEL indicating a stability control problem which, amongst other things, has disabled my ABS and traction control meaning I need to “drive moderately”.

I am told that I am not the first customer to experience this problem with a 335. One workshop suggested this failure is due to excessive heat in the 335 engine bay that causes failure of the DSC unit.

The recommended solution was to replace the Hydro Unit DSC (part number 34506777164).

From what I can gather, this conclusion was reached by at least one workshop based on the fact that the Hydro Unit DSC would not communicate with the diagnostic tool / code reader to specify the exact problem (other than the general error indicated by the car’s ECU that was displayed on i-drive).

Replacement of the Hydro Unit DSC is obviously an expensive part ($2k) especially since my car is out of warranty, so I am looking for affordable fixes as I plan to sell the car soon.

I noticed that BMW has released a “Repair Kit, control unit DSC” (part number 34516777165), but no-one has been able to explain to me when a the repair kit is a suitable fix versus a total replacement of the Hydro Unit DSC.

Can anyone help me on this?

Also, I remember reading in some posts that if the Repair Kit was used, a “re-programming” was required. What does this mean and does it require special software / equipment? Is a re-programming needed if I replace the entire Hyrdo Unit DSC?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

anybody can help?

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
SuperSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3MC, '16 Cayenne S

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have a DTC error in my 06 330i as well, which also happens to be out of warranty. I would love to find an affordable solution to fix this issue. I am not sure how or waht part needs to be replace to fix the problem or where it is located on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Repair kit...

I believe the repair kit is the control unit for the DSC system. I had to replace this on my e39 528i - but it is more likely a result of moisture than heat.

If you search, you may be able to find a company that rebuilds the control units even cheaper.

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Send it to "module masters". They are located in Idaho. They rebuild all sorts of ABS/DSC modules. I think it's about $300 to repair. You send them the unit, they test it, if it's okay, they send it back (minus shipping), or if it's broken, they fix it. I have had a module repaired on an A4 about 4-5 years ago and it's still working just fine.

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php
Appreciate 0