E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Seat Mat Sensor - Airbag Seatbelt Error

01-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Seat Mat Sensor - Airbag Seatbelt Error

This weekend, while moving around in the driver's seat, I got two red error lights on the dash--airbag and seatbelt.

I've done some research and seems that I have a problem with my seat mat sensor. My car (2006 330i non-ZSP) is not affected by the recall that affected over 200,000 06 3 series for this exact same sensor (apparently sport seats). I've learned that there is, however, an extended warranty on the passenger side sensor, though I'm almost 100% sure my issue is with the driver side.

I've also read that some have "replaced a connector or wire" leading up to this sensor and that has resolved the issue. Anyone have any more info to this approach? I'll likely just pull the seat up, disconnect everything, check+clean all wiring/contacts, and reassemble when I find some time in the next few days.

I've also been doing some steering wheel paddle work and have disconnected/connected my steering airbag a few times (obviously with battery disconnected)--could I have messed up the harness? If there's a fault with the front steering wheel airbag or harness, or it's simply disconnected, will the seatbelt light come on as it has in my case?

Thanks for any input

Edit: heres a link to the NHTSA recall documentation, http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...romPublic=true
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
The passenger side seat mat cracks...that's why the system disables the front, passenger airbag. I don't think there's anything you can do to remedy it....just replace and recode.

Driver's side does not have it.....obviously there is always a driver when the car is moving.

Unless your like me when I was 8 years old and put my mom's car into neutral while she was in the supermarket. lol She tells me she was coming out as the car was rolling back and ran to the car in time to prevent an accident. haha I wish I remembered more.

Do you have iDrive? What did the message say? How do you know it's the seat mat sensor?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
The passenger side seat mat cracks...that's why the system disables the front, passenger airbag. I don't think there's anything you can do to remedy it....just replace and recode.

Driver's side does not have it.....obviously there is always a driver when the car is moving.

Unless your like me when I was 8 years old and put my mom's car into neutral while she was in the supermarket. lol She tells me she was coming out as the car was rolling back and ran to the car in time to prevent an accident. haha I wish I remembered more.

Do you have iDrive? What did the message say? How do you know it's the seat mat sensor?
No idrive, at first just the dash airbag and seatbelt lights came on when I started the car few days ago and have been on since.

Only today (few days since it happened) I noticed the pass. airbag light on, I had a few heavy things on the pass seat so that may have triggered it, honestly haven't noticed it as much of a problem in the past.

Right now my main question is: since the seat belt light came on the dash at the same time as the driver airbag light, can I eliminate the steering wheel airbag as possible culprit? It's a $25 part (+$ coding and time) so I'll replace it unless I find a definitive answer.

My plan as of now:

1) Remove seats, clean all electrical contacts, replace seats
2) Replace driver airbag harness
3) Have car coded to remove errors
4) Pay dealer $120 to diagnose (hopefully) pass. side seat mat + replace (under extended warranty)
5) If the above doesn't work, keep an eye out for ZSP seats, good time to upgrade

Don't really see an alternative to the above.

Last edited by yakev724; 01-31-2011 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Have you had the code read out so you know exactly what the vehicle is complaining about?

I had similar warnings and I would also get a message from iDrive about a passenger restraint failure.

The problem was that the B+ cable in the battery compartment which controls the battery safety terminal was reading high resistance and needed to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

the seat mat sensor was a recall...doesnt cost shit just take it to the dealer and drop the thing off. I highly doubt there is an issue with any connections. The same thing happened to me with the pass seat belt light too. It got annoying after awhile. Just take it in.

Last edited by benzo23; 02-04-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Your model is not covered under the recall BUT you are covered for something like 10 years IF it does fail, even if you are past 100,000 miles.

I know this because i went thru this myself, fought with dealer, he had rep come out from bmwna. They agreed to take seat apart, if sensor was fubar they would replace at no charge. if sensor was fine i would pay labor for them removing and checking the seat out.

There is documentation out there that will list your 330i as having an extended warranty just for this issue...

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8V384-5007.pdf

From...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383433

Last edited by mike3000fl; 02-04-2011 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Have you had the code read out so you know exactly what the vehicle is complaining about?

I had similar warnings and I would also get a message from iDrive about a passenger restraint failure.

The problem was that the B+ cable in the battery compartment which controls the battery safety terminal was reading high resistance and needed to be replaced.
Do you happen to have a picture of this cable? I've recently added a cable to one of the positive terminals, and also have this airbag light issue. But at the same time have been sliding my seats forward and back, so not sure which of the two things might have caused this fault?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
DESMO748
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 N54

My $.02.

Had the passenger airbag warning on our CLK. Turned out to be a broken wire on the sensor mat. No more, no less. Stealership wanted $2k to replace. Went to a MB indie shop and got it fixed for less than $700. Still a grip.

So, I'm going to assume it's just the mat. You could do it yourself. Although, you may need special tools to remove special screws holding the seat down (like the CLK).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

fdriller is correct, there is no seat occupant sensor in the driver's seat. I just rebuilt my driver's seat with a new OEM foam seat pad. There is no sensor mat in the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0