E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Sorry for another boring question

01-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Sorry for another boring question

Well its about tyres thats why I have already apologised

Ok I need to change the front pair as the outside shoulders are a bit worn out probably because of fast turning or could be an alignment issue. The problem is that the rears are michelin and I want same for the fronts but Michelin dont do them in manufacturers recommended size. The recommended size is 205-45-18 but Micheline only do that in 215-45-18. So it ok to have them or go for the recommended size.

If I go for a wider one, would it not void any warranty incase something related goes wrong ?

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

I'm not sure about the size change, but any reputable tyre dealer will tell you.
The other aspect to remember is that you should inform your insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Sooperdooperoofer
The older I get, the faster I was
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320d SE x2 & E21 323i 2door

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
Well its about tyres thats why I have already apologised

Ok I need to change the front pair as the outside shoulders are a bit worn out probably because of fast turning or could be an alignment issue. The problem is that the rears are michelin and I want same for the fronts but Michelin dont do them in manufacturers recommended size. The recommended size is 205-45-18 but Micheline only do that in 215-45-18. So it ok to have them or go for the recommended size.

If I go for a wider one, would it not void any warranty incase something related goes wrong ?

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.
Too much camber on the front or if both shoulders of each tyre are worn its possibly underinflation but most likely an alignment issue.
      01-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
no_ball
No Fear
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

Ring up ichelin UK and ask what sizes you can get away with, its around 5% of the overall aspect ratio I think, ask to speak to their sales dept., helpful when I rang.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooperdooperoofer View Post
Too much camber on the front or if both shoulders of each tyre are worn its possibly underinflation but most likely an alignment issue.
So whats the best place to go if its an alignment issue, not going to stealer for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
If it's run flat tyres you have fitted, for some reason they always seem to wear on the outside shoulder. Best to simply replace all four tyres for non run flats. Problem solved!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick999 View Post
If it's run flat tyres you have fitted, for some reason they always seem to wear on the outside shoulder. Best to simply replace all four tyres for non run flats. Problem solved!!
Agree it is a common RFT issue, without any alignment problem. Often caused by being a bit under pressure, particularly if you don't do many long trips. My observation, the outside of the tyre runs cooler, even chilled by the airflow, and the stiffer sidewall resists tyre flex and accelerates the bad wear pattern.

Same geometry, with non run-flats, wear is typically even.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0