E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New PROcede Beta maps --> too much torque for my old clutch :(

01-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

New PROcede Beta maps --> too much torque for my old clutch :(

well, kinda not really. While doing some 3rd and 4th gear pulls today, I began experiencing MAJOR clutch slippage. One must think the added torque of the new beta maps added to the stress, and blaming the someone else is always the best scapegoat

I can still take off from a stop and get up to 70mph just fine, but Every time I go more than 50% throttle it lets go and doesn't grab again until I let off.

SO, a new clutch is in my immediate future. Here is what I've learned after spending a few minutes:

Alpina B3 Lux- FX 300 with OEM Flywheel
Dzenno-
-Clutchmaster Ceramic 6puck + LW Aluminum flywheel, went out after 4500km
-ACT Street/Organic Full face + OEM Flywheel
Palisades – ACT
E93whiteonred- ACT Street
gian p.r. –ACT went out after 9000 miles.
FBIS- Clutchmasters FX850 + LW flywheel
Nlakind – ACT
Shiv- Spec Stg. 2 + LW flywheel
Mr. 5- ACT Street

•ClutchMasters FX100 - Performance Organic - Perfect replacement for stock & and mild bolt on's: Piggy-back, tune, exhaust etc. (excellent for: street use)
•ClutchMasters FX300 - Segmented Kevlar - A favorite for customers that see hard street use and track day. Kevlar surface has more bite, impressively smooth with an average 110% higher capacity.
•ClutchMasters FX400 - Ceramic - Aggressively built for hard street or track usel; gives up a good portion of its smoothness for lots of power handling capability. Has very positive engagement and maximum holding for a single disc
I think its safe to say that the clutches that prematurely went out (dzenno and gian p.r.) are flukes or defective units.

So, basically I've decided on an organic disc is best for my setup, so that narrows it down to ACT Street or Clutchmasters' FX100.

So here's my question: What is more preffered: the Sprung Disc or Rigid Disc?

Also, it doesn't seem like any vendors on here sell clutches? Stett and **********s.com are the only ones I found...where are you guys getting them from?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Mikey_Bo0sts
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 335i M Pack

Damn it that sucks, I really wanted to get manual when I got the 335i but when I thought of the clutches I went through with my previous cars and how much pain in the ass it was I didn't and I'm so glad lol Best of luck man ;]
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
well, kinda not really. While doing some 3rd and 4th gear pulls today, I began experiencing MAJOR clutch slippage. One must think the added torque of the new beta maps added to the stress, and blaming the someone else is always the best scapegoat

I can still take off from a stop and get up to 70mph just fine, but Every time I go more than 50% throttle it lets go and doesn't grab again until I let off.

SO, a new clutch is in my immediate future. Here is what I've learned after spending a few minutes:

Alpina B3 Lux- FX 300 with OEM Flywheel
Dzenno-
-Clutchmaster Ceramic 6puck + LW Aluminum flywheel, went out after 4500km
-ACT Street/Organic Full face + OEM Flywheel
Palisades – ACT
E93whiteonred- ACT Street
gian p.r. –ACT went out after 9000 miles.
FBIS- Clutchmasters FX850 + LW flywheel
Nlakind – ACT
Shiv- Spec Stg. 2 + LW flywheel
Mr. 5- ACT Street

•ClutchMasters FX100 - Performance Organic - Perfect replacement for stock & and mild bolt on's: Piggy-back, tune, exhaust etc. (excellent for: street use)
•ClutchMasters FX300 - Segmented Kevlar - A favorite for customers that see hard street use and track day. Kevlar surface has more bite, impressively smooth with an average 110% higher capacity.
•ClutchMasters FX400 - Ceramic - Aggressively built for hard street or track usel; gives up a good portion of its smoothness for lots of power handling capability. Has very positive engagement and maximum holding for a single disc
I think its safe to say that the clutches that prematurely went out (dzenno and gian p.r.) are flukes or defective units.

So, basically I've decided on an organic disc is best for my setup, so that narrows it down to ACT Street or Clutchmasters' FX100.

So here's my question: What is more preffered: the Sprung Disc or Rigid Disc?

Also, it doesn't seem like any vendors on here sell clutches? Stett and **********s.com are the only ones I found...where are you guys getting them from?
Bite the bullet and go with an OEM clutch. From experience testing other N54s with these aftermarket clutches (both had FX400s), they are absolute nightmares for daily operation. Mine was solid for 28k miles before I got rid of the car.
      01-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

the clutch isn't covered under warranty, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post
the clutch isn't covered under warranty, right?
its subjective, some may cut you a sweetheart deal, some may cover under warranty, some may do nothing.
      01-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Mikey_Bo0sts
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 335i M Pack

Brain just hit off the SA with $50 get cool with him and ask him nicely to take care of you
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

It should be under warranty, but I pretty much have every engine, suspension and cosmetic performance mod, and I don't want to spend two days (or more) returning it back to stock. It would take a pretty incompetent dealer/tech to not know somethings' up.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Bite the bullet and go with an OEM clutch. From experience testing other N54s with these aftermarket clutches (both had FX400s), they are absolute nightmares for daily operation. Mine was solid for 28k miles before I got rid of the car.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to going OEM again..but this one is simply letting go due to not enough clamping force for everyday 420tq. When you say 'bite the bullet" i'd assume you mean because it's more expensive? On ECS it's only $360?

This is the "LUK" OEM clutch from ECSTuning....what does the "LUK" mean? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335i-N54_3.0L/ES2357/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't be completely opposed to going OEM again..but this one is simply letting go due to not enough clamping force for everyday 420tq. When you say 'bite the bullet" i'd assume you mean because it's more expensive? On ECS it's only $360?

This is the "LUK" OEM clutch from ECSTuning....what does the "LUK" mean? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335i-N54_3.0L/ES2357/
not because it's more expensive, more along the lines of more frequent replacement, especially if you're hard on your clutch. You can ask Clap or boostecosta, I went hard on my 135i and the clutch NEVER slipped in 28k miles of up to 19psi.

My non-expert opinion is, you'll sacrifice clutch life for sanity while daily driving. The aftermarket clutches are an exercise in frustration in non-racing situations.

It's your car, but if I still had my car, that's what I would do. I occasionally see new OEM clutches for sale here too... might save you a few bucks that way.
      01-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
not because it's more expensive, more along the lines of more frequent replacement, especially if you're hard on your clutch. You can ask Clap or boostecosta, I went hard on my 135i and the clutch NEVER slipped in 28k miles of up to 19psi.

My non-expert opinion is, you'll sacrifice clutch life for sanity while daily driving. The aftermarket clutches are an exercise in frustration in non-racing situations.

It's your car, but if I still had my car, that's what I would do. I occasionally see new OEM clutches for sale here too... might save you a few bucks that way.
Yeah that doesn't sound half bad. I'll be doing it myself so it's not a huge hit to the wallet to replace it every 30k miles. It would be nice to retain the stock driveability too. Does that OEM "LUK" clutch from ECS look right?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335i-N54_3.0L/ES2357/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

That sucks. Plus 1 for going oem clutch.

Seems like i read more horror stories about them more than anything.

How many miles did you have on the original clutch? Full bolt on and meth power levels?

Alan
      01-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

DO NOT get the OEM again..at least get the ACT street/organic or possibly fx300 Kevlar for a daily driver..

My fx400 was defective due to a bad pilot bearing so make sure you replace it..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
335xiRT1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

with these new beta maps my clutch is deff gonna go as well
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
runthis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I started feelings slippage from my clutch and went ACT. I bought mine directly from ACT, I also mated it with a new fly wheel...

After going round and round regard lightweight flywheels and hearing about chatter. I decided to purchase a new flywheel, because I was told that its very difficult to resurface a Dual Mass flywheel.

BMW installed my new OEM flywheel, and ACT clutch. I absolutely love it. The first day or so, I'd say I noticed a difference but nothing painful. Definitely an improvement over stock and grips like crazy!

2015 F82 M4 - SOLD

2009 E92 335xi - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
That sucks. Plus 1 for going oem clutch.

Seems like i read more horror stories about them more than anything.

How many miles did you have on the original clutch? Full bolt on and meth power levels?

Alan
I've got ~37000 miles on the car right now...tuned since 14000 and began adding parts then too. I don't think it's 'fried' meaning material is all chewed off, rather it's just lacking the clamping power to hold it tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
DO NOT get the OEM again..at least get the ACT street/organic or possibly fx300 Kevlar for a daily driver..

My fx400 was defective due to a bad pilot bearing so make sure you replace it..
I'm looking into the FX100 or ACT street, just cause I'm wanting to stay with organic. I commonly take out bosses/partners/clients to lunch, so it can't feel like a POS to someone who doesn't know better. The OEM just seems like it would do the job OK for another ~30000 miles, which then I'd just replace it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runthis View Post
I started feelings slippage from my clutch and went ACT. I bought mine directly from ACT, I also mated it with a new fly wheel...

After going round and round regard lightweight flywheels and hearing about chatter. I decided to purchase a new flywheel, because I was told that its very difficult to resurface a Dual Mass flywheel.

BMW installed my new OEM flywheel, and ACT clutch. I absolutely love it. The first day or so, I'd say I noticed a difference but nothing painful. Definitely an improvement over stock and grips like crazy!
Wow you got an entirely new dual mass flywheel? Was it in the $800-900 range? I haven't been slipping this like crazy, so I'm thinking that taking a few thou off of it with 220g sand bar should suffice, no?

If not, has anyone mated an organic clutch with a lightweight flywheel? It seems the people who go with the lightweight flywheel are always getting a ceramic clutch.?

Thanks for the feedback and help guys
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Definitely don't go with a metallic clutch. You will hate life.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

ACT street. I have sold several of these and the pedal pressure is hardly more than stock. The disc is solid, no springs in it as BMWs sprung center is in the dual mass flywheel. This is your chance to get a solid lightweight flywheel, or do another new dual mass, if you burned up the old flywheel good.

A lightweight flywheel will make the drivetrain noise a little louder and more chattery while in neutral, but I like the sound of it and feels racey

It will engage low for the first few days til it breaks in, then it will return to normal.

I always make it a point to change the throwout bearing, the throwout lever pin and the 4 big bolts (size E14) have to be replaced as they are torque to yield (stretch bolts) when bolting the transmission back together.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #18
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Definitely don't go with a metallic clutch. You will hate life.
You have the Spec clutch and flywheel right?

Why are people saying to stay away from Spec? Their flywheel is pretty cheap, but their only organic disc is rated to 350tq.

What the hell is this: ???

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335i-N54_3.0L/ES3357/
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #19
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
well, kinda not really.
well its actually leading people to misunderstanding now, you could create topic " i broke my clutch" why mention procede in here its nonsense that you can broke your clutch with procede new maps so quickly peace and
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #20
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

CONTACT SOUTHBEND, they have n54 clutches in testing right now. HPF uses them on their s54 kits and everyone loves them. They are the best street clutches out for the e36 turbo crowd as well.

Just installed one on a s/c e39 M5 (full feramic) and it feels BUTTER smooth, slightly more pedal pressure than stock and will grab like an animal. That was a stage IV for hte M5. thats a 480whp 4,000lb 120mph trapping car.

Do It! You wont be disappointed.
      01-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
ACT street. I have sold several of these and the pedal pressure is hardly more than stock. The disc is solid, no springs in it as BMWs sprung center is in the dual mass flywheel. This is your chance to get a solid lightweight flywheel, or do another new dual mass, if you burned up the old flywheel good.

A lightweight flywheel will make the drivetrain noise a little louder and more chattery while in neutral, but I like the sound of it and feels racey

It will engage low for the first few days til it breaks in, then it will return to normal.

I always make it a point to change the throwout bearing, the throwout lever pin and the 4 big bolts (size E14) have to be replaced as they are torque to yield (stretch bolts) when bolting the transmission back together.
Shoot me a pm wiht a price installed for the ACT street/resurfaced stock fly and all the bolts/ect. I have 44k tuned miles on mine, and doesnt slip yet, but I am on limited time I feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Don't forget the pilot bearing...caused my last clutchmasters fx400 to go bad after 2000 miles..just for the piece of mind...
Appreciate 0