XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

01-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

Talking So I bought myself a few extra ponies

Long story short. I woke up to day to the sound of an SMS from Fedex that kindly request that I come and pick up my long waited for package.

Got up, went there, and was home in no time. I had ordered the JB+ about a week ago through Cal@jlevisw, nice guy and great service. As this was my first time to "tune" a car I didn't know what to expect from a tiny module that is barely the size of a matchbox. So, I popped the hood locked the doors and spent the next half an hour trying to figure out where the TMAP sensor is actually located on the X6. It wasn't exactly where it is on the images in the online instructions taken from a 335i. But I could've done it in a shorter time if I only looked "deeper" into the engine bay.

After locating the sensor all went smooth and the whole thing took me less than a couple of mins to get the JB+ connected properly.

I have set it to %75 and have done almost 40km with it installed today and here is my first thoughts:

For people who don't want to read a lot, start reading here.

So the first few KM where nothing special and I actually thought to myself oh well there goes the few hundred dollars I paid. But little I knew that this thing would adapt so fast. After I got the car all nice and warmed up I gave it a WOT from traffic light to traffic light and all I can say is WOW !!

It actually felt like a totally different car. I was so amazed that I kept going back and forth down that road with traction control off and each time I did I felt a slight increase and refinement to the new gained power.

A few hours later, I went out again to get a second chance to test the gains leaving out all the excitement and thrill of the achievement I have done by getting and installing my first tune.

I buckled up set traction control off let it warm up and shift it to manual and blast down the road. Once again I was amazed. This thing really is worth every dollar. I can't really describe the difference, nor can I tell if it actually is any faster but it sure feels like it. The power really comes out soon as you start off the line. Nothing monstrous or neck breaking but It just feels like it's doing less effort to get there. With every gear change you feel like you're picking up power not loosing some as it was the case before the tune.

Wonder how different it will be in two days when the adaptation phase is over.

Will try to keep this thread updated as things progress and in case I decide to tune it in to %100.

In the end I have a small question. Does anyone know if it was possible to perform the solenoid bypass on the X6 as on the 335i ?

Thanks.
      01-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

congrats, now I can't wait to see how big a change JB3 would make. I will install JB3 soon and I've heard good things about it as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Thanks man. From what I've read and heard I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

I was this close to ordering the JB3 but didn't want to go through all the hassle of rewiring the ECU.

Let us know how things go
      01-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

tuned it to a %100

will update as soon as I get time to drive it ;D
      02-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

anyone try this on an x5? so jb+ is easier to install than jb3? i want something easy to take in and out.

here's the jb3. so jb3 is harder to install? not minutes?

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/p120...duct_info.html

Last edited by mach330; 02-17-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

My guess is that since 2011 models have different engines than earlier ones you better contact terry and ask about this application

http://burgertuning.com/contact.html

the JB3 requires you to open the ECU box and play around with wires where the JB+ has only one connector to connect then you're set

go to the website above and look for the installation guide for both and know what you are in for

on a side note, the %100 doesn't really feel faster than the %70 did but it has more pull on higher speeds that's all
      02-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEmZ View Post
My guess is that since 2011 models have different engines than earlier ones you better contact terry and ask about this application

http://burgertuning.com/contact.html

the JB3 requires you to open the ECU box and play around with wires where the JB+ has only one connector to connect then you're set

go to the website above and look for the installation guide for both and know what you are in for

on a side note, the %100 doesn't really feel faster than the %70 did but it has more pull on higher speeds that's all
thanks. yeah, i talked to jlevi and the jb3 should work for my n55 engine. however the lengthy installation will bother me. i was hoping they would have something like the jb+ which is easier to install. i guess i'll have to wait a bit until someone comes out with a quicker solution.
      02-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Sharpie12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 SG/SO

can you install the jb+ even if you already have your ecu tuned? or at that point would it do nothing?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

I'm not really qualified to answer this but looking at your info I can tell the you have a 50i which the JB+ can't be installed on to.

However, my guess would be that the JB+ can't be combined with any other engine tune.
      05-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Ok, so i had the JB4 tuner chip installed on my 2009 X6 35i last Friday and I have to say... what a difference!! She is riding way more powerful. Im doing 0-60 in about 5 seconds. Took it on the LIE (NY) and got it up to 130 MPH for about 5 mins but it felt like I was only doing around 50 MPH! Now my friends with their Chargers and Camaros want to challenge the Bimmer. According to the stats provided by bugertuning, in getting about 430 WHP and 450 Tourque with the juice box. What do you guys think? I've always valued the feedback I get from you guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Hoochimama
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 50i

mpg

any impact on gas mileage?
Appreciate 0