E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Hawaii > Purchasing tires - locally or order?

01-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Paradise bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3

Purchasing tires - locally or order?

I'm searching for some new tires. I'm wondering if most people order tires online or if there is any place(s) on the island that stock decent tires with decent prices. Tire Rack etc all seem to charge about $2-300 for shipping out here. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

I have always ordered from Tire Rack for any performance tire needs. I have ordered from them about 6 times over the years and always feel like I get good service and a good price.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I usually determine what tire I want to buy and then check online -- Tire Rack and Discount Tire -- to see if their prices are sufficiently less expensive and more readily available than the local supplier. (When the online folks ship them to an installer, the cost of the tire + installation must be less than just buying them from the local folks.) Depending on my immediate priority -- timing of replacement or cost of the tire -- I will decide from whom to buy the tires.

I have no reservations about buying online. You should not either. They ship them in a timely manner, in general, and they offer the same protections as the local folks and sometimes they are less costly. Be aware that if there is a cost savings to be had, after installation, it amounts to something around $20/tire. Rarely is it a meaningful sum, but the online guys have a better assortment (usually) than local folks. If one's not needing the tires installed "today," though the savings are meager, they are still dollars remaining in your pocket. FWIW, your local BMW store is nearly always the most expensive place to buy or install tires.

In my area, the tires the local stores carry varies by the economic nature of the immediate neighborhoods they serve. Thus, it's more likely that one'll find pricier tires at the local store in the rich 'hoods. It may also work that way where you are...

Good luck with your selection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
bonertyme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i TIAG

after shipping i think tires cost almost the same as picking them up from a local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonertyme View Post
after shipping i think tires cost almost the same as picking them up from a local dealer.
Not even close. Plus, most local dealers don't have our sizes readily available. Models are also very limited unless you really like Nitto. That's really all I could find around here and the price is still way over what I could find online. I've bought from tireack for many years and recently bought from performance plus tires since tire rack doesn't carry Vredesteins. I asked Hawaiian tire once (who is a tirerack authorized installer) if it's better to buy directly from them and they told me there's no way they could come close to tirerack's prices.
      01-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

You should not even need to order them from Tirerack. It has been my experience that if you walk into any decent tire store with the printout of Tirerack.com prices with associated shipping, the local store has ALWAYS matched the price!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
MediaHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: everyday

try jus4kicks, they have cheap tires but not much selections..
tirerack has the lowest SHIPPED price to hawaii (did a research a while ago)
      01-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
You should not even need to order them from Tirerack. It has been my experience that if you walk into any decent tire store with the printout of Tirerack.com prices with associated shipping, the local store has ALWAYS matched the price!
Depends what you're looking for. The most popular performance tires are not readily available because they are just too expensive to stock and the demand is too low. Like I said, the only thing I found around here is Nitto. Not exactly my favorite in terms of performance. You can find Michelins but you're looking at $500+ per corner.
      01-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Depends what you're looking for. The most popular performance tires are not readily available because they are just too expensive to stock and the demand is too low. Like I said, the only thing I found around here is Nitto. Not exactly my favorite in terms of performance. You can find Michelins but you're looking at $500+ per corner.
I like Nittos ...
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #10
wchoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e90 335i

auto customs across the street from volvo only charges for installation. they will order the tires from tire rack as well as have it shipped to them for the same price as you would pay to have it delivered to your door. they do not mark up. they only charge for install. i got my tires installed from them and they did a great job and they were very fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Paradise bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3

Thanks for info. I thought TireRack would be the best best with ordering. I haven't done much research, but the last time I needed to replace tires on the island, I remember it being way more expensive from a local shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise bimmer View Post
Thanks for info. I thought TireRack would be the best best with ordering. I haven't done much research, but the last time I needed to replace tires on the island, I remember it being way more expensive from a local shop.
Tirerack is pretty much the best bet unless you're looking for something they don't carry. Tires-easy.com is another place to look if you can't find what you're looking for at Tirerack. Both will drop ship to selected local installers.