Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Brand New Blizzak WS-70 Got A Nail In It

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Brand New Blizzak WS-70 Got A Nail In It

Hey Guys,

I just sent an email out to Gary; waiting for a response.

Background:

07 E90 335i premium, non-sport

I purchased some WS-70's from tirerack about 6 weeks ago. I put them on the car on Dec 9'th, so about 4 weeks ago, on the stock rims. I got into my car, all tires were fine. It's the driver side front tire that went and I usually have a habit of checking the tires before I drive off. They were in fine condition.
I drove about 25 km's, picked up a friend, and on the highway back I felt like I was fighting the steering wheel. It felt like an alignment issue, but being that I've never hit a curb or anything, I discounted the idea. When I got to my destination, I saw that my driver side front tire was flat. I put air into it, and could hear a distinct hiss where it was leaking. This poses the following questions:

1) I believe this car doesn't use TPMS, but a run flat monitor instead. How come it didn't alert me?

2) Have I done much damage to the sidewalls by driving ~40km on a flat tire?

3) After taking the tire off and re-pressurizing, it turns out to be at the very outer tred, very close to the sidewall (see pics). Looks like a slit, not a hole like a nail. Is it patchable?

Bubbles:

Trying to spread the slit (thats what she said):

edit: pic size. 56k beware.
Appreciate 0