E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My Brakes are squealing...but why? (non-bmw)

01-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

My Brakes are squealing...but why? (non-bmw)

So I took my Jeep to my local car shop to get an oil change when the mechanic tells me I need replace my front front brakes (I knew it was coming soon). So I said go ahead. So the next day my after the mechanic resurfaced my rotors and put new brake pads on...they kinda start squealing...but just a little. I figured it would go away after awhile since its new (though this never happened on my other cars before). After 3 weeks, its getting ridiculous and CRAZY loud.
So I went back to the mechanic to find out why the hell my new brakes are squealing and he said that my rotors need to be replaced and that they can't resurface them because they'll be past specs. So its going to cost another 300+ for rotors and labor.

So I said to him, but you just resurfaced them...why the hell would they be making noise already?!?! And why should I have to pay for labor again when you should have known the rotors needed to be replaced before resurfacing them? Anyway I'm pissed that this scum bag wants me to pay another 300 bones to over $700 by the time its all said and done to replace front brakes. I mean is he &^%$&^ kidding?

So my question to you guys is does this make sense? Could my rotors be causing this noise? If so I'm going to demand that they eat the labor cost and I'll just pay for the rotors.

My other question is do I have to replace the pads AGAIN? After just replacing them 3 weeks ago because im putting new rotors on?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Do they squeak when you apply the brakes?
      01-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I wonder if he applied this http://www.mz3.net/articles/241.html
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Your mechanic is an idiot. Tell him to redo the brake job for free. He first should have measured the rotors to see if they were turned how much thickness would be left after turning and how close it would be to the minimum thickness. Second, not knowing what "Jeep" you have I'm not sure if the pad replacement procedure calls for brake grease to be applied to the pads and backer plates, which should eliminate noise. Third, he may have done a shitty job at resurfacing the rotors, which is causing the problem.

As a rule of thumb, rotors are not that expensive, and it is just better to replace the pads and rotors as a set, which eliminates this problem. 90% of cars these days have slip-on rotors, so the only cost difference between having a rotor turned or replaced is the price difference between the cost of the rotor and the cost of the labor to turn the old rotor. It is the same labor to remove and replace a new rotor as it is to remove, turn, and replace the old roto (except the additional time of setting up to rotor in the brake lathe and truing it up).

Your mechanic is an idiot (did I say that already?).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Thanks guys!

I talked to the store manager and we came to an agreement. I told him I would pay for the new rotors, but I would NOT pay for the labor to put them on since they should have been checked and replaced the first time.

He agreed.

By the way...the car is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the squealing only happened when pressing the brakes.

I think this is a fair solution, what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
tntsE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

f I remember correctly, BMW has a policy since the e46 to replace brake rotors during all brake jobs, no resurfacing. And the brake squeeling I suspect is probably from using cheap pads and not putting the anti-brake squeek compound/gel on the back of pads during install.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

Brake resurfacing is a scam in itself. You should never have to do it unless you are getting vibrations when you with the brake, known as warped rotors. If that is not happening just use sandpaper and rub it on the rotors to chin them up a little. The new brake pads will mat with the rotors after some mileage. I have never resurfaced my rotors due to new brake pads.

Dealers and mechanics due it becuase you can really only resurface them once. So on the next brake job, they get a bigger profit because you need new rotors. All a scam
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Sooperdooperoofer
The older I get, the faster I was
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320d SE x2 & E21 323i 2door

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntsE90 View Post
f I remember correctly, BMW has a policy since the e46 to replace brake rotors during all brake jobs, no resurfacing. And the brake squeeling I suspect is probably from using cheap pads and not putting the anti-brake squeek compound/gel on the back of pads during install.
All of the above, the rotors (or discs as we call em) will need a light sanding now because they'll be glazed, pads will need the same, the should've been treated with a de-greaser before installation and a quick spray after just to be sure. I'd bet my life that its an installation problem.
      01-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Thanks guys!

I talked to the store manager and we came to an agreement. I told him I would pay for the new rotors, but I would NOT pay for the labor to put them on since they should have been checked and replaced the first time.

He agreed.

By the way...the car is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the squealing only happened when pressing the brakes.

What a dick....rotors take 10 mins per side to replace on any car. Remove the 2 caliper bolts, take off the caliper, remove the rotor retaining screw, replace with new rotor, replace retaining screw, push the pads back a bit and reinstall the caliper.

You should stay away from this guy next time.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Thanks guys!

He agreed.

You should pay for the new rotors less the price he charged you to resurface the old ones.

Rotors do wear out over time. The problem with resurfacing them, most times, is you take off material from the surface that then makes the rotor thinner, and as the new brakes wear, the roter even gets thinner usually taking it down past the minimum thickness spec, which then leads to a warped rotor that now needs to be replaced before the new set of pads is used up. So it is just best to replace rotors and pads as a set.
Appreciate 0