BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
rd450
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

light steering

there seems to be a few threads popping up now highlighting the overly light steering as a result of the electric power steering.

For those of you who are concerned about this I would recommend specifying the variable sport steering option (can be selected without taking the whole dynamic suspension package). I was an extra £370 GBP.

I would agree that in normal mode the steering feels far too light for the size of the car but flick it into sport mode and the steering weighs up nicely. I drive is sport mode all the time - just a pity you cant get the system to default to this on start-up but I just press sport at the same time as releasing the handbrake so has become second nature.

hope this helps some of you with concerns.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd450 View Post
there seems to be a few threads popping up now highlighting the overly light steering as a result of the electric power steering.

For those of you who are concerned .
Im not too concerend, didnt notice it on the test drive and im sure after a day or so it will become the norm

Now, whilst I got you! What mpg are you getting?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Im not too concerend, didnt notice it on the test drive and im sure after a day or so it will become the norm

Now, whilst I got you! What mpg are you getting?
Pleased to hear that you're not too concerned as it's too late for more changes to my order. I didn't notice any problems with the steering at all on either of the X3s that I took for a test drive. Only just over an hours worth of driving them in total but if it was that bad, I'm sure I would have picked up on it.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
too late for more changes to my order.
Yeah, not worried at all - hell I would take delivery this week with no steering if I could!

Still cant decide on oyster or black leather but I got a few weeks tinkering yet

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
rd450
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

average mpg to date is 34mpg although that has been on a number of short trips over the christmas holidays.

Will know better once I get back into the work commute tomorrow which is 50 miles a day in total there and back
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I finally got my test drive in the auto demonstrator last week and I must say I didn't find any issues with the weight of the steering. It was the standard car with 17" alloys. My comparison to how it drove is a 07 3 series m sport with the option 18" alloys.

I test drove the car on some b type country roads and on the main dual carriageway from where I live on what was quite a windy day in north east of the uk but at no point did I feel I was losing any control of the x3.

Got good news from the dealer when i handed back the demonstrator that my car should be here by middle of this month! It's been a long wait since august but I'm sure it'll be worth it!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Yeah, not worried at all - hell I would take delivery this week with no steering if I could!

Still cant decide on oyster or black leather but I got a few weeks tinkering yet
Haha - lucky you. Don't leave it too late though, I wasn't expecting the "no more bets" call until next week!

I think Oyster with Sapphire Black will look awesome if you can keep it clean, and it sounds like you've managed well with the beige.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
average mpg to date is 34mpg although that has been on a number of short trips over the christmas holidays.

Will know better once I get back into the work commute tomorrow which is 50 miles a day in total there and back
Keep us informed - cheers

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Quote:
For those of you who are concerned about this I would recommend specifying the variable sport steering option (can be selected without taking the whole dynamic suspension package). I was an extra £370 GBP.

I would agree that in normal mode the steering feels far too light for the size of the car but flick it into sport mode and the steering weighs up nicely. I drive is sport mode all the time - just a pity you cant get the system to default to this on start-up but I just press sport at the same time as releasing the handbrake so has become second nature.hope this helps some of you with concerns.
Please tell me this cannot be set to default because you didn't purchase the full dynamic handling package? But even still... If I'm gonna pay $1400 extra for this feature, I would hope I could set it to one of the 3 modes I like the best and set it as the default and not have to reset it each time I drive the vehicle. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I haven't owned a car with this feature ever and not exactly sure what the limits are on it. But for everyday use, I would hope I could just set it to my liking and not have to dick around with the settings or push extra buttons everytime I drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

personally, I love the steering wheel on my F25 X3 compared to my LCI e92 335i...its just a matter of what you prefer
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #11
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
personally, I love the steering wheel on my F25 X3 compared to my LCI e92 335i...its just a matter of what you prefer
I agree, my '07 X3 had better steering feel than my 135i does. It was very communicative, natural and direct. I loved it. Looks like the new one isn't as good as the old in that regard. Doesn't matter, will be getting one anyway
Appreciate 0