2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Power off Radio when turn off Ignition

12-31-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
G5
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F10

Power off Radio when turn off Ignition

Does anyone know if there is a way to set the car to power off the Radio when turn off the ignition? I am not sure about you guys but I don't find leaving the ratio on after power off the vehicle is useful. At least power off after opening the driver door or something.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
algoodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to set the car to power off the Radio when turn off the ignition? I am not sure about you guys but I don't find leaving the ratio on after power off the vehicle is useful. At least power off after opening the driver door or something.

Thanks,
Press the OFF button again and open the door. The radio will be off.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by algoodman View Post
Press the OFF button again and open the door. The radio will be off.
Or else the engine will be running, depending on where you've left your feet.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
GearRex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, E46 ZHP, 991.2 Cabrio

What works best for me is to hold the Engine On/Off button for a couple of seconds, this completely shuts off all functions, including the radio, then exit the car.

Pressing the button quickly will only shut off the engine, a second push on the button will shut off the accessories (so long as you keep your foot off the brake pedal, otherwise the engine will turn on again).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93_Rzr View Post
What works best for me is to hold the Engine On/Off button for a couple of seconds, this completely shuts off all functions, including the radio, then exit the car.

Pressing the button quickly will only shut off the engine, a second push on the button will shut off the accessories (so long as you keep your foot off the brake pedal, otherwise the engine will turn on again).
The reason that works for you is that you don't have an F10.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's one thing I'd kind of like to know: Suppose the car, an automatic, dies when it's in motion. How do you restart it? Do you have to put it in neutral? park? do you have to step on the brake? Any of those things might be inconvenient, depending on traffic conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Here's one thing I'd kind of like to know: Suppose the car, an automatic, dies when it's in motion. How do you restart it? Do you have to put it in neutral? park? do you have to step on the brake? Any of those things might be inconvenient, depending on traffic conditions.
It happened with my E39, I had a faulty cam angle sensor so the engine was a bit unstable. It is very inconvenient when the engine dies on you. I had to put it in neutral and then start, that was not the biggest problem. But it gets really heavy to steer and brake when all the servos are gone. And after I got start while the car was moving, the auto box went into a fault mode where only heaviest gear was available, so I just had to drive to nearest possible place to stop and then start again.
The f10 might of course behave very different; you probably have to put a foot on the brake even if the car is moving. But you don’t need to push very hard, and since the servo is gone, it would not really slow down the car much anyway even if you apply normal force on the brake. The electrical steering on none X drive models steering servo might also work even without engine running so we might be better off in that area.
This is off cource things that good to know before your in the situation, so if anyone actually had a f10 engine that died when moving it would be good to know what happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
It happened with my E39, I had a faulty cam angle sensor so the engine was a bit unstable. It is very inconvenient when the engine dies on you. I had to put it in neutral and then start, that was not the biggest problem. But it gets really heavy to steer and brake when all the servos are gone. And after I got start while the car was moving, the auto box went into a fault mode where only heaviest gear was available, so I just had to drive to nearest possible place to stop and then start again.
The f10 might of course behave very different; you probably have to put a foot on the brake even if the car is moving. But you don’t need to push very hard, and since the servo is gone, it would not really slow down the car much anyway even if you apply normal force on the brake. The electrical steering on none X drive models steering servo might also work even without engine running so we might be better off in that area.
This is off cource things that good to know before your in the situation, so if anyone actually had a f10 engine that died when moving it would be good to know what happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5 View Post

Thanks,
The option is built for you to listen to music if needed while the engine and ignition is off, you can operate only few of the options like the Radio and CD in this mode. To completely switch off the power, I press the Start/Stop button once to stop the engine and once more to power off (while feet off the break paddle)
      01-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I am just curious, I have been thinking about this situation, it has a few threads.

Do most of you have your foot on the break pedal when you push the button? My foot is off the pedal as soon as I engage park. By the time my hand moves from the shifter to the ignition button my foot is relaxed and off the pedal.

I don't mean to be OCD on this but I am just wondering if I am in the minority on this. It kind of reminds me of the old timers who drive with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake pedal. So that even when they are accelerating the brake light is on. Lots of old timers in NYC where I grew up drove like that in the neighborhood, always cracked me up.
      01-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Speaking just for myself, when I bring a car to a stop, it is usually by using the brake. It would then be my habit to keep the brake depressed until I'm ready to move again, or to get out of the car. (I don't have auto hold and so I don't know how much, if at all, it would change the routine. But it has to be switched on every time you drive, so I'd guess not much.) So the double press of the Stop/Start button clashes with my routine.
Appreciate 0