2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Combox

12-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey

Combox

I should be getting my new 520D next week. Will I have the combox, and what exactly is it? I ordered the USB interface and professional hifi.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

I'm due to get mine in the next couple of days as well. It was build week 41 so will have the combox, which I understand was build week 35 onwards.

There's a good technical datasheet on the combox on this forum somewhere, but basically its the electronic hardware & software which integrates the nav, audio etc.

I'm sure someone else can elaborate, but main differences seem to be better iPod/iPhone integration using the standard white apple cable, rather than the BMW 'Y' cable, you get album art displayed on the idrive screen, better blackberry integration, and being a techie myself the most interesting thing it that it gives BMW the ability to add more mobile phone support in the future by downloading drivers.

So, you should get it, but doesn't sound like it's particularly earth shattering...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mewster View Post
I'm due to get mine in the next couple of days as well. It was build week 41 so will have the combox, which I understand was build week 35 onwards.

There's a good technical datasheet on the combox on this forum somewhere, but basically its the electronic hardware & software which integrates the nav, audio etc.

I'm sure someone else can elaborate, but main differences seem to be better iPod/iPhone integration using the standard white apple cable, rather than the BMW 'Y' cable, you get album art displayed on the idrive screen, better blackberry integration, and being a techie myself the most interesting thing it that it gives BMW the ability to add more mobile phone support in the future by downloading drivers.

So, you should get it, but doesn't sound like it's particularly earth shattering...
Thanks for that and the best of luck with your new car. Happy New Year!
Appreciate 0