BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Could have drove home in this today...

but didn't... at nearly 55k, this is close in price to some X5's they had and not the exact specs I want anyway, but still nice to finally see a loaded X3 35i for the first time. I was going to go back this evening but want to see it in daylight again, so probably going back tomorrow to test drive it... didn't have time while I was there today as I ran over on a break at work to take a quick look. Will try to get better pics if people want, these were just taken with my phone...

btw, that fineline sienna wood trim looked way better in person than I was expecting from the pictures, the wood grain captures the light quite nicely, you really have to see it in person, wish I could see the dark trim to compare the two.

Edit: NOTE: this car was not for purchase as I thought when I first posted. This was a demo and test drive model only. See my post below for more info

Last edited by Sabian; 12-18-2010 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice Pics, thanks for sharing! In pictures that wood reminds me of the old mactac vinyl wood used on the outside of station wagons. Will have to see it in person to see what it really looks like i guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

was this a dealer demo?..or was it available for purchase?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
was this a dealer demo?..or was it available for purchase?
As far as I know this could be purchased, but I could be wrong... it was listed for almost 55k US not including sales tax, so I assumed it was for purchase. They asked me to come back tomorrow for a test drive, so I will ask to be sure. It is also listed on their website as a 2011 X3 in stock, but this listing might be just bait to get people to come in and check it out. The sales rep I dealt with emailed me to come check it out today, they just got it in, but he was super busy when I showed up selling another car. I kind of just randomly showed up and didn't make an appointment... I was on a work break as well so didn't have much time to talk either. Will post more info tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Really pleased the light Sienna wood looks good in person (dealer does not have samples yet)

I ordered it unseen and was worried as some of the online photos and video make it look very orange

The brochure pics look good but you can never trust promotional pics

Get some more pics if you go back

cheers

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
As far as I know this could be purchased, but I could be wrong... it was listed for almost 55k US not including sales tax, so I assumed it was for purchase. They asked me to come back tomorrow for a test drive, so I will ask to be sure. It is also listed on their website as a 2011 X3 in stock, but this listing might be just bait to get people to come in and check it out. The sales rep I dealt with emailed me to come check it out today, they just got it in, but he was super busy when I showed up selling another car. I kind of just randomly showed up and didn't make an appointment... I was on a work break as well so didn't have much time to talk either. Will post more info tomorrow.
great..thanks, i want to know about your follow up!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Did you end up going back? If so how did she drive?
      12-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

The 2011 X3 I saw at our dealership did not have the tracks in the back floor and the CA said they did not have them this year. Hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

There was pre-production one here in Minneapolis that didn't have them, but that was due to it being euro-spec and pre-production according to the SA, and he was sure US spec X3s would have them.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Test Drive

Yep went back earlier today to test drive....
but first off I gotta say sorry I was misinformed about this vehicle, it is NOT for sale, it is basically a fully loaded X3 for people to test drive before placing orders, so I could not have purchased it even if I wanted. Since it had a price on it and was listed on the website in the new sale inventory I thought that it was available for purchase when I first saw it.

Second, it is the weekend before xmas, and they were very busy with people test driving the new X3 today, I actually had to wait to get a test drive since there were people ahead of me waiting to test it too. Because of this I was unable to take any more photos, I just had to wait my turn then quickly go out for a fairly short test drive and then someone else was waiting to take it out when I got back...

Now for the test drive itself.

Pros:

+Very smooth acceleration, lots of power, indeed this was the xdrive35i I expected
+nice smooth and quiet ride for an SUV, you really gotta look at the speed cause when it feels like you are doing maybe 45, you are actually probably doing more like 65-70
+nice backup camera, helps when you are backing out of a crowded lot for sure.
+nice interior quality, materials on dash, and leather/stitching, I like the layout of everything, fairly simple and ergonomic, elegant and classy without trying to be too fancy if you know what I mean.
+nav/idrive screen was beautiful, nav system seems pretty next gen from what I've seen, although I don't currently have a nav system other than my iPhone that I use, so I'm only comparing to other non-bmw's I've seen who have nav systems.
+the cargo area seems spacious, love the fact it's flat on the sides going up with carpet, no wheel arches in the way or plastics on the sides to get all scratched up.
+heads up display, although I probably wouldn't get this feature myself, it was pretty cool. It looks like it's projected and floating in the air like a hologram about a foot outside the windsheild almost. This is where I really noticed the power and acceleration watching the numbers. When I got onto the freeway, it seemed like I was barely stepping on the gas and the display was already reading over 60mph. Accleration past that speed was good as well even going up a slight hill but couldn't fully test in long stretches due to xmas traffic this weekend. If you have a lead foot, the cost of this option might pay for itself in helping you keep your speed in check and not on the side of the road collecting speeding tickets

Cons:
-some plastics on the doors and back of seats that probably would eventually scratch up with just normal wear and tear.
-for some reason getting in and out of the front seat seemed more awkward than it should. Maybe I'm just not used to the height of this car or I didn't have the steering wheel and seat adjusted the best it could be for me... I can't really pinpoint what it was, but it just seemed more difficult to step in and out than it should. Also the drivers side didn't seem quite as spacious as I was expecting after watching the Autospies review video, it was fine don't get me wrong but was just was smaller than I expected.
-no negotiation on price whatsoever. I was told I would definately have to pay full MSRP. Maybe in 4-6 months they could give a slight discount.
I've seen a 3.2 Q5 for 46k that was pretty well equipped and nice, so even though I really like the new X3 I don't know if I'd say this one I drove is worth almost 10k more really. Also I have never purchased a new car at full MSRP, or even a new model at full MSRP, and not sure if that is common for new BMW's. Thoughts?

Overall, my impression was very good, however, loaded with options this X3 was near 55k, over 60 with tax, and at that price I might start looking into the lower end X5's for comparison. Probably gonna go back for another test drive, hopefully a longer one and go thru the options list to see what I really need and don't. Really nice SAV though, for those of you who ordered, you won't be dissapointed!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

do you know when they expect to make their first deliveries?...if an order was placed a while back..do they expect deliveries of those soon?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post

Cons:

-no negotiation on price whatsoever. I was told I would definately have to pay full MSRP. Maybe in 4-6 months they could give a slight discount.
I've seen a 3.2 Q5 for 46k that was pretty well equipped and nice, so even though I really like the new X3 I don't know if I'd say this one I drove is worth almost 10k more really. Also I have never purchased a new car at full MSRP, or even a new model at full MSRP, and not sure if that is common for new BMW's. Thoughts?
I would say that is common for every new vehicle, as there are many out there that must be the first one to own one and they pay for that privilege. Once the me first crowd, at any cost, is finished purchasing then the ones willing to negotiate come in play. Supply is usually tight at first as well. I don't know if this is intentional or if the demand for people willing to pay full price is really high at the beginning. This can depend on the popularity of a particular vehicle as well.

It is funny, there are a lot of people out there who just do not negotiate on anything or don't have the patience to wait. I have found that everything is negotiable, it is just dependent on timing and if you are willing to wait or walk away.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
do you know when they expect to make their first deliveries?...if an order was placed a while back..do they expect deliveries of those soon?
I'm not sure about orders taken a while back, or when they'd get their first deliveries. Anybody reading this forum who already pre-orderd from Bellevue BMW in Washington State reading this post? It seems for the time being, they just have the one model to demo and are taking orders. That demo model just came in the middle of last week.

He did mention that if I ordered soon, like this week, that I could expect a delivery near the end of Feb. Now I don't know if that's true but if it is, that's not too bad really. Didn't someone say who ordered already that they are not getting theirs till March?... and I think someone even said August!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 01:52 AM   #14
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Uk order early November, delivery early April - ouch!

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

The SA we were working with said the first deliveries would be near the end of January and they were confident of a 4 week turnaround time from ordering to delivery...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

I ordered on 11/5..my car was out of production on Friday..and per the 800# my car "has been released to a carrier"...and per the website, its "at the preperation center"....

I'm trying to figure out if the car will be here this week or not...ahh!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Last night, I saw the nearly identical car in the showroom of Beverly Hills BMW. It also was loaded and stickered for $55k. I had the opposite reaction to the fineline sienna wood trim. I thought it looked a little cheesy, and would hope the darker wood would look nicer.
      12-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau View Post
I had the opposite reaction to the fineline sienna wood trim. I thought it looked a little cheesy,
Hope your wrong or just got bad taste!

If it is that bad I Wonder if you can change the trim after taking delivery?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau View Post
I had the opposite reaction to the fineline sienna wood trim. I thought it looked a little cheesy, and would hope the darker wood would look nicer.
ha ha... hey I never said I liked it, just thought it looked better in person than the pictures. In some pictures it looks pretty plain like douglas fir or beech or something but when I saw it in the light it had some silky tigereye kind of reflections in the light and looked a bit higher quality than what I expected. I just wish it was darker or had an option of a black stain maybe. I really like the black bamboo in the X5, it's simple and goes well with the black dash materials in my opinion, wish they'd offer that on the X3 as well. I'd probably go with the dark wave or aluminum myself, but I'd really wanna see it in person as well since to me it seems a lot different in pictures then when you see it in person.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I went for the brushed aluminium as it goes well with the black Dakota leather in my current 3 series and I popped for black leather again! Safe option with White paintwork! I really think that BMW missed a trick by not offering piano black trim from launch.

Hopefully my x3 is now out of build, Aberdeenshire snow and a 3 series = driving the wife's mini!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotX3 View Post
I went for the brushed aluminium as it goes well with the black Dakota leather in my current 3 series and I popped for black leather again! Safe option with White paintwork! I really think that BMW missed a trick by not offering piano black trim from launch.
Agree Black leather and aluminium go best together especially with contrast white stitching, will look smart with white paintwork

Im sure the piano black trim will come

I always go for the light leather and wood option (ex jaguar driver)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #22
e90diesel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d sold

Sat in a 2011 x3 28i today. I was very impressed with the interior looks and quality except for the sienna wood, it looked like cheap plastic to my wife and I. The dark wood seems like a better choice imo. The non sport seats were very nice. The cargo area behind the rear seat is very small.

The exterior looks better in person than in pics, VERY nice looking.It had just been dropped off the truck so I didn't get to drive it.

I hope BMW offers a 35d or 20d here in the USA. Unless another diesel is offered first I'll be an owner.
Appreciate 0