BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

12-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

More track time!

Hi fellas, I fear I've been bitten by the Trackday bug. I spent a day at Wakefield in November and had a ball and am chomping at the bit to do it again soon.

Any idea on how I can get some more regular tracktime? I'm in melbourne btw. Phillip Island / Sandown / Winton are the 3 tracks that I can think off that easily accessible for me...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
G.R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E93 M3

I haven't done these yet but these are ones I am looking into doing for next year:

http://www.adrenalin.com.au/ultimate...torsport/13986

http://www.calderpark.com.au/competi...-practice.aspx
      12-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

just registered my interest for driver dynamics track and training day in feb...i booked for feb 12 - isn't that valentines day? what a perfect way to spend it with the love of my life...(just hope the wifey doesn't see this!)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I think the Adrenline track day is the same event as the driver dynamics track day. The location and dates are all the same!

The Calder open track day looks like fun as well - although I've been told that they can be very busy. I think the sandown option is better value for money - an extra 80 dollars for tuition sounds good !
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

hey G.R. nice to see to you today at Sandown. I had a blast and can thoroughly recommend Driver Dynamics as a group to do a track day with.

I was doing 1:32 towards the end of the day which is pretty slow but I had fun and the car got through the day unscathed which was the aim.

Here's a video of some of the laps I took early on in the day. My car was stock with the exception of some Carbone Lorrainse RC6E track pads. I also ran with DSC on which I blame entirely for the slow exit speeds That and the fact I consistently ran one gear too high on those corners...must shift down more!

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Good to see you again Nez. Looked like you had fun out there, well driven. From that footage it looks like you had a pretty good feel of the track and the right driving lines. Did you have dsc set to mdm? Where did you go to get your track brake pads? Any other incidents with the other cars after I left?
I will definately be in for a sandown drive in the next month or so.
      02-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I kept the dsc on, not mdm. Boring but safe.

I bought the pads online from www.zeckhausen.com

I'm very happy with the pads - they do squeal and chatter inside the caliper but they never faded or overheated at Sandown. Now I sure I'm not hitting the brakes hard enough into the corners but I'm happy with them.

As for incidents - I think every one went home on their own accord - no towing or damage. There were a few offs but lucky for them, no damage was done.

There was a large variety of cars there - few evos, couple of z4ms, a 335, a porsche 911s and best of all, a lambo gallardo. The X3 which came would not have set any lap records ...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

There was a pretty good mix of cars but I missed seeing the Gallardo. Good to hear there was no incidents. I use MDM here and there and I think it feels quite safe. How many 20 minute drives did you end up having for the day?
I ended up booking in for the track day on the 26th of March so maybe I will see you there Nez.
      02-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

i ran 4 sessions all together. 2 before lunch and 2 after lunch. There were 3 groups of 11 - 12 cars each. We had an observation lap for the guys who hadn't been to sandown before and then they let the more experienced drivers on. I finished my last session around 3pm. They even had a passenger session where you could take passengers for a few laps at slower speeds.

To be honest, for me, 4 session was plenty. I was pretty tired after all the laps I did - a total of 40 - 45 laps during the day. Even though it wasn't warm, I was pretty sweaty after each session - time to buy some nice m3 leather racing gloves

I don't think I'll make march 26th. I think that's F1 weekend and I'll be watching that a Albert Park.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

just put my name down for the M dynamics course at Phillip Island on the 13th of March. A full day in M3s on one of the best tracks in Aus- can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Nez, I will be down there on Saturday the 12th to do the intensive course. How much is the m dynamic course?
      02-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

i think they're looking at filling the last spots cause I was offered a discount of 500 so I'll pay 1350. They tend to do this when there's a few spots left and it's getting close to the date.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #13
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

That's not too bad. I will see how my driving course goes on the Saturday and if there is still spots available for the m dynamic I might consider doing it.
      03-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

How was it Nez?
      03-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

It was alright. I found it to be not too dissimilar to the intensive course. Obviously more time in the m3 was nice but I don't think I got as big a buzz about that as some if the other guys who don't already have an m3.

The laps around the circuit was fun but I don't feel as if I learnt anything more than what I did on the intensive course. More of the same in that regard.

It did start pouring with rain during the second set of laps in the after afternoon and I found that to be quite tricky. the racing line was very slippery in those conditions and I Iost all confidence in the amount of grip on the circuit. Geoff brabham showed us the wet weather line and there was significantly better and more consistent grip to be found there but by that time my brain was in survival mode and I was going quite slow. I'm sure that was a mental thing cause the other guys were about to lap faster than I under the same conditions.

So all in all , I had fun but was it worth 1350 -1850 more than the intensive course? I don't think it was.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

The more time in the M3 would have been a bonus. In the intensive course I did on the Saturday I started in the M3 then went on to drive the 323 (auto) and 123 diesel which to be honest weren't much fun at all and just too slow on the track. The M3, 335 and 135 would have been better choices. They limited our pace by having us drive behind the instructors on each lap which was a little frustrating but we still pushed to a little over200km in the M3 and about 180-190km in the other two cars. I was quite impressed with the Phillip Island track and we got to do plenty of laps out there, just not enough in the M3. The hot lap at the end was a blast. For a freebie it was well worth the trip down but I probably wouldn't pay $1000+ to do it or the m dynamic course you did.
Pumped for the Sandown track day in a couple weeks though.